It's ok to be jealous, right?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Thomas, May 25, 2002.

1. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

A good friend of mine drops by today showing me a set of keys. He bought a new car, which he's been wanting to do for the last several years. I ask him what he got and he replies "A used Honda". Ok, so I walk outside to see what he got and it's a freakin' Acura NS-X. ACURA NS-X! "Holy shit!" I exclaim, meanwhile seething with jealousy. Fine, fine car. It -is- used but it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Man, it's sweet. For those who aren't familiar with this fine piece of machinery:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    It's ok to be jealous, right? [​IMG]

2. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Yeah, it's okay to be jealous. But, just imagine what he paid just so he can drive around and it makes you feel better. [​IMG]

3. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    So how much did he pay?

4. John Thomas

I think he said it was around $35k. It has less than that in miles. Less than 35,000 miles...grr. He got a great deal on it (Blue books for $41k; '94 model).

5. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Sometimes, men use cars to make up for other inadequacies.

6. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

Like we build these ungodly large and loud home theater systems because we wan't to.....

I think people who buy nice cars just want to enjoy the benefits of having some of the nicer things in life. It's a huge rush to drive a car made for high speed on the highway rather than a Yugo...it's just a matter of priorities. Here is a guy who saved his pennies for years (apparently) and bought himself a nice car. But keep in mind, he bought a USED car. He didn't go blow his wad on a new Mercedes or high end Porsche, he sensibly bought a car that the depreciation was paid for by the guy who bought it new. Hell I paid more than that for my Excursion (a truck mind you).

Again, it's all relative...I would be jealous too!!! From the description of the car, he got a hell of a deal.

My .02,
    Tim K.

7. Leo Hinze

Leo Hinze Stunt Coordinator

Yes, it's okay to be a bit jealous. Think of it this way: if nobody was ever jealous of anybody for any reason - stuff they have, food they eat, dwelling they live in, freedom from sickness, life span, etc... - humans, their civilization/society, and their technology never would have gotten to the point it is.

8. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

"Vanity...definitely my favorite sin"
    -John Milton The Devils Advocate
    Seriously, he is your friend...so, you are entitled to a couple weekends per year to borrow it, right?
    Bruce

9. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

[​IMG]
    If he was a real friend, he would have bought you both new Minis for that kind of money.
    Sure would have been a heck of a lot cooler than that dated NSX.

10. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

It may be normal or human to feel jealousy but I don't see why anyone would say that's OK or good. I can't understand being jealous, especially of a friend. It seems to me you would be happy for them. I am happy for all my friends that have more/nicer things than I, material or otherwise.

BTW, I believe it's envy we are talking about. Jealousy usually revolves around human relationship rather that material possessions.

The key to being happy is not having what you want or what someone else has. It's wanting what you have.

11. John Thomas

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

13. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

Low miles, but it's a '94. Parts often aren't cheap on pseudo-exotics when something breaks. Heck of a nice cruising car, though.

No need to be jealous. I'm sure he'll let you drive it sometime.

14. John Thomas

From what I understand from him, maintenance isn't that big of an issue. It's a Honda, afterall. Damn fast Honda however..
    We were crusing down a two lane highway the other day and I approximated the 0-60 range at 5 seconds. Pretty darn fast but there are some cheaper alternatives to that speed, like a suped-up Z28 or even a Mustang. However, this car can do that and outcorner just about anything I've ever been in. It's just about the perfect blend of power and handling. A McLaren F1 probably is closer to that blend but for the price, that car takes it.
    Sorry to rant on....car freak here.[​IMG]

15. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Looks like a Firebird / Trans Am to me. I'm not jealous.

16. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

We are definitely talking Envy here I would say also...I wonder if there's a definitive way of telling for sure...

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

How's the gas mileage?

18. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

19. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

20. John Thomas

...and remember, for a long time, it held (still holds?) the record for the best handling car available. It has 280hp and weighs much less than anything else in that bracket. Firebird? I don't think so. Big and clunky. NSX is an precise instrument.
    Now you see why I'm jealous/envious. [​IMG]