What's new

It's ok to be jealous, right? (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
A good friend of mine drops by today showing me a set of keys. He bought a new car, which he's been wanting to do for the last several years. I ask him what he got and he replies "A used Honda". Ok, so I walk outside to see what he got and it's a freakin' Acura NS-X. ACURA NS-X! "Holy shit!" I exclaim, meanwhile seething with jealousy. Fine, fine car. It -is- used but it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Man, it's sweet. For those who aren't familiar with this fine piece of machinery:
Link RemovedLink Removed
It's ok to be jealous, right? :D

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Yeah, it's okay to be jealous. But, just imagine what he paid just so he can drive around and it makes you feel better. :D

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I think he said it was around $35k. It has less than that in miles. Less than 35,000 miles...grr. He got a great deal on it (Blue books for $41k; '94 model).

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
Like we build these ungodly large and loud home theater systems because we wan't to.....

I think people who buy nice cars just want to enjoy the benefits of having some of the nicer things in life. It's a huge rush to drive a car made for high speed on the highway rather than a Yugo...it's just a matter of priorities. Here is a guy who saved his pennies for years (apparently) and bought himself a nice car. But keep in mind, he bought a USED car. He didn't go blow his wad on a new Mercedes or high end Porsche, he sensibly bought a car that the depreciation was paid for by the guy who bought it new. Hell I paid more than that for my Excursion (a truck mind you).

Again, it's all relative...I would be jealous too!!! From the description of the car, he got a hell of a deal.

My .02,
Tim K.

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, it's okay to be a bit jealous. Think of it this way: if nobody was ever jealous of anybody for any reason - stuff they have, food they eat, dwelling they live in, freedom from sickness, life span, etc... - humans, their civilization/society, and their technology never would have gotten to the point it is.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
"Vanity...definitely my favorite sin"
-John Milton The Devils Advocate
Seriously, he is your friend...so, you are entitled to a couple weekends per year to borrow it, right?
Bruce

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor

If he was a real friend, he would have bought you both new Minis for that kind of money.
Sure would have been a heck of a lot cooler than that dated NSX.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
It may be normal or human to feel jealousy but I don't see why anyone would say that's OK or good. I can't understand being jealous, especially of a friend. It seems to me you would be happy for them. I am happy for all my friends that have more/nicer things than I, material or otherwise.

BTW, I believe it's envy we are talking about. Jealousy usually revolves around human relationship rather that material possessions.

The key to being happy is not having what you want or what someone else has. It's wanting what you have.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
You are joking, right?
And yes, I am happy for him. He's worked his arse off in school and it's finally paying off for him.
he does have a point, the NSX has the cool factor but is a little dated. Myself I'd wait to see how the new nissan products shake down, the Z and the skyline. But the NSX is still pretty cool :)

Brad_V

Second Unit
Low miles, but it's a '94. Parts often aren't cheap on pseudo-exotics when something breaks. Heck of a nice cruising car, though.

No need to be jealous. I'm sure he'll let you drive it sometime.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
From what I understand from him, maintenance isn't that big of an issue. It's a Honda, afterall. Damn fast Honda however..
We were crusing down a two lane highway the other day and I approximated the 0-60 range at 5 seconds. Pretty darn fast but there are some cheaper alternatives to that speed, like a suped-up Z28 or even a Mustang. However, this car can do that and outcorner just about anything I've ever been in. It's just about the perfect blend of power and handling. A McLaren F1 probably is closer to that blend but for the price, that car takes it.
Sorry to rant on....car freak here.:emoji_thumbsup:

TheoGB

Screenwriter
We are definitely talking Envy here I would say also...I wonder if there's a definitive way of telling for sure...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If he was a real friend, he would have bought you both new Minis for that kind of money
You MUST be joking. I'll take the performance of a 280hp RWD rocket over a little box with wheels any day. I like the new Cooper, but even the S is no where remotely close to the performance of an NSX.

MAJOR downside to NSX - Extremely expensive to repair if you get in an accident, even a small dent.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
he does have a point, the NSX has the cool factor but is a little dated. Myself I'd wait to see how the new nissan products shake down, the Z and the skyline. But the NSX is still pretty cool
You're crazy! The NSX is one of the most exotic cars on the road; it's a real head turner. With this model, it doesn't matter if it's eight years old. Hell, I'd take a '91 NSX w/ twice as many miles over any new car (priced $30-40k). Maybe you're right about the Skyline and the new Zs, but...it's the NSX ! It's the most awesomest! and for some emphasis:
Link Removed

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
...and remember, for a long time, it held (still holds?) the record for the best handling car available. It has 280hp and weighs much less than anything else in that bracket. Firebird? I don't think so. Big and clunky. NSX is an precise instrument.
Now you see why I'm jealous/envious. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AaronChi
Recent bookmarks