What's new

It's official, Toshiba 34HFX84 discontinued. Now which 34" do I get? (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Took me months (apparently too long)to decide which model I wanted. finally decided on this one only to find out from a Toshiba rep today that it is discontinued.

as some of you know I bought at at a B&M on Dec 31st and they have been calling me also every week to let me know it will be another week for delivery.

Well one month later I am still waiting. Funny enough I went last night to speak to a manager at store who laughed at the thought of it being discontinued. He assured me if it was the case he would know.

Well he either is lost or lying 'cause I spoke with Toshiba directly and they confirmed there is no more and a new model is coming out next month.

I don't know if I can wait that long. The only other of interest was the Sony 34XS955 (no XBR in Canada) but it is too rich for my blood. I would be paying $850 more than what I was going to pay for the Tosh. I am sure it is a better set but it cannot be $850 better.

Runner ups include the Panny but darn it, it's silver!

what would you guys recommend that would compare (or beat) the Toshiba 34HFX84?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have a 4:3 32" HDTV Tosh that I really like. But, the 34HF84 did just OK in the latest Consumer's Reports. (For the price it did fine, just that the Sony's did beat it.) (34HFX84 vs 34HF84?) You could check out the Sony KV-34HS420. Close in price to the Tosh, but still slightly better rated by CR at least.

You could also look around some more for a B&M who still does has the Toshiba set.

If it did take you months to decided on this one, I don't see how another month or two could hurt if you do want the new Toshiba. :)

The Panny CT34WX54 was rated the worst by CR.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Wow, thanks Kevin. I did not know the Panny had done so bad. So definately the 34HS420 over any other 34" right?

I wish the XS955 wasn't so much more $ darn it.

AllenK

Auditioning
Depends on what is good for you. Toshiba's stretch modes, particularly Theater Wide 1, best in business (I hate bars). Color and black are excellent. I have Toshiba 34HF84 hooked up to very good audio system. I took a long time to make my choice and never regretted it. The Tosh came closer to fitting my criteria than Sony, Panasonic Et AL.

Soni

Auditioning
What is the difference between the old model and new? I still know where the old is available and was planning on getting it soon, but if the new has something better maybe I'll wait. Any idea on what the price of the new one is?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys!

I personally own a 34xbr960 and highly recommend it. Though if you are on a budget consider the Toshiba or the lower model Sony. Both are fine units. I have found the Toshibas to "in general" have better geometry than the Sonys.

Happy viewing!!

Gregg

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
Any details on the new Toshiba replacing the 34HFX84? I'm going to be purchasing a 34" in the coming months and was set on the 34xbr960. But I'm willing to check out the new Toshiba, partly because if the speakers are on the bottom, then I'll be able to keep my existing entertainment center. Any info would be appreciated.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks