What's new

It's Official!!! The Game of the Year is......... (1 Viewer)

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Well, MikeG, if we are using your "logic," then Neo and crew slaughtered thousands of innocent humans in the lobby scene. Remember, each "person" was tied to the consciousness of a real live human who was being used as a battery for the machines. When that "consciousness" is killed in the Matrix, the body dies along with it and is flushed. So they were live. And they were just as real as the "cops" in GTA3.

And Mike, I have to ask: Have you played GTA3?

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
"thousands"?

Maybe 20 or 30, but not "thousands".

Also, in the CONTEXT of "The Matrix", you're doing them a favor, and at the same time, helping bring down the machines just a little. It was said there's no hope for them. Now, are we going to get into philisophical arguments about the CONTEXT of completely different types of scenarios?

Mike

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I remember the consciosness of people living AS cops getting killed, but not cops themselves. In fact, other than the crew of the ship, I don't think there's one real person in that movie.
But the whole point of the Matrix is that the people /believe/ they're alive. So as far as the /entities/ blown apart in the lobby scene are concerned, they're real cops who've just been blown to smithereens.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Now, are we going to get into philisophical arguments about the CONTEXT of completely different types of scenarios?
If that's not exactly what you've been doing the whole time, then, respectfully, why are you still posting? The context of GTA3 is that everyone in the town is on the take, from the cops to the politicians, to the street person. The instruction book explicitly points this out to you. That is, if you were to choose to actually read the literature provided with the game. That is, if you were to actually have owned/played the game as a frame of reference.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello,

I'm happy that Halo won but I'm also very jealous of anyone that gets to play GTA3 on a regular basis. I had a friend bring his PS2 over for an night of destruction and I loved that game. Like most people, I'm a sucker for any game with a good sniper rifle in it.

Mike_G - Your personal attacks and name calling are both unwelcome and unacceptable. Telling someone that they are a bad parent because they enjoy playing GTA3...telling someone that they don't support cops because they play GTA3..comparing GTA3 to the tragedy of Sept 11...the list goes on.

Thanks,

Jeff

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Also, in the CONTEXT of "The Matrix", you're doing them a favor, and at the same time, helping bring down the machines just a little. It was said there's no hope for them. Now, are we going to get into philisophical arguments about the CONTEXT of completely different types of scenarios?

----------------------------------------------------------

But the whole point of the Matrix is that the people /believe/ they're alive. So as far as the /entities/ blown apart in the lobby scene are concerned, they're real cops who've just been blown to smithereens.
Exactly. These people don't know about the Matrix, or the real world, they think that

they're just doing their jobs, upholding the law, and what happens? They get shot to pieces by a bunch of lawless thugs, who are trying to "free" them from this virtual prison. But they'll never know, because they were killed by the very people who were trying to "protect" them. Remeber what Morpheus said, if you're killed in the Matrix, you also die in the real world.

[sarcasm]Also let's not forget the cop in Reservoir Dogs who's brutally beaten by the robbers, and gets his ear cut off by Mr. Blonde, before he's shot to death. This movie seems to be a HTF favorite. Why not ban this movie?[/sarcasm]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Since I'm 16 and am affected most by this (compared to the rest of you) I think my thoughts and perspective are worth hearing.

GTA3 is a violent game that I THINK younger kids should not play. I know the difference between real and fake (and yes, fake things based on reality are still fake). Because of good parenting, I can watch a violent movie or TV show and know what's real and what's not. I played GTA3 at a friends house for a while and was able to see most of what the game is about.

Who do you kill in this game? Some good guys, and some bad guys. So its not like you're just a cop killer, you also kill mafia heads and other "bad guys." Also, the game doesn't FORCE you to buy it and kill cops, you do that voluntarily. If I want to buy a violent game, then I can. If I want to kill cops in it, then I can. Its my choice, not the developers'. They are giving their audience the emulated realism that they want. Its a business, afterall.

Violent movies show more realistic blood and gore, and in some more realistic situations. Granted, you aren't doing it, but watching someone get killed in real life is a different thing compared to doing it in a videogame.

HALO is a violent game in which you kill aliens. Should our kids not play that? You are still KILLING something.

What if GTA3 had all the humans replaced with animals? Would it be OK then?

I understand that people are saying "I don't like this, I wouldn't let my kids play this" and that I respect a LOT (people should say that more often so the whole issue of games and kids goes away) but some other people are saying "that's horrible and evil and I hate all that touch it" and are overexaggerating what happens in these games. Yes, you kill cops in the game, but have you ever watched a mafia movie where you were rooting for the bad guy? If so, then you should be no better than the rest of us (by your morals, of course).

When it all comes down to it, videogames are a simulation and are not real. They are emulations of realities created by the developers. In GTA3, you can run around the town with a drawn weapon and nothing happens. Time moves VERY fast. For every realistic thing, there are at least and equal number of unrealistic things. There are no truly 100% realistic games because then it becomes boring. Why play a game when you could do exactly what you are doing in the game? Thats the whole concept of videogames.

Not all games are "bad," just remember that, if anything.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I'm glad that the AIAS Awards recognized the stellar titles ICO and Advance Wars. I always get warm fuzzies from seeing such 'sleeper' titles get that kind of recognition. :D
Cheers,
Joseph

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
Your character (and yes, I know it is just fictional) is essentially rewarded for killing cops.
Actually, you get rewarded no matter what it is that you "kill/maim/destroy." The whole point of games is to escape from reality, where you DON'T kill people(for the point of this discussion). This game is not marketed to children. Rockstar has made that abundantly clear. So, for the market that this game is aimed at, which just about everyone here falls into, this game works. No one over 18, AT LEAST, and of a sound mind is unaware that killing people, NOT JUST COPS, is wrong. The criminals that actually go out and kill others, more than likely, aren't the same people playing some video game about killing people. It's the regular guys and gals who would never intentionally harm others. And to say that these people are bad, well that just ain't right.
Sean

Chris_Anders

Stunt Coordinator
Blah, blah, blah. There's my contribution to the thread. Sounds the same as whats being said in here. Seriously guys, you are just starting to bicker at each other, and the same arguments are being made. True, I don't have to read this post if I don't want to, but if every thread I wanted to read disenigrated in to such banal "You said this" "Well you said THIS" and "Take THAT, I'm right, your wrong" and "blahblahblah" then I wouldn't visit this forum anymore.

All IMO I might add.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Sounds the same as whats being said in here. Seriously guys, you are just starting to bicker at each other, and the same arguments are being made.
Yup, and I bet everyone would drop it if Mike_G apologized to all of us that he personally attacked. But I don't think we'll see that.

I'm looking forward to playing Halo on the PC. I followed the development of that game from the Mac days and cried when it went XBox...sniff sniff. But for my money and what I've played, GTA3 is still da bomb. I think I'm permanently stuck at trying to kill the 3 triad bosses though...I keep getting swarmed when I get out of my car to get that one where you can't drive...I need the flame thrower back or something. Hey what is the trick to picking up the hookers? I did it once, but can't get it to work anymore...

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
True, I don't have to read this post if I don't want to, but if every thread I wanted to read disenigrated in to such banal "You said this" "Well you said THIS" and "Take THAT, I'm right, your wrong" and "blahblahblah" then I wouldn't visit this forum anymore.
If you don't want to visit a forum where people disagree time and time again, I'm afraid you're are way, way in the wrong place. It's one of my favorite things about this place. If you want to go to a site where everyone agrees all the time and there is non-stop ball-washing and glad-handing, I'm sure you'd be welcome at the Barney website.
The less one makes declarative statements, the less one looks foolish in retrospect.
All IMO, of course.:)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who finds it strange that they don't have "Best Game on Console X" but they have a "Best Console Game" award?

James Zos

Supporting Actor
The problem with this thread or debate or whatever you want to call it is not that it is too much "you said this/but you said that," kind of stuff, but that Mike_G is playing the role of sniper, taking shots and then ducking when there is return fire.

Civil arguments are great, but not when one party refuses to acknowledge 90 percent of the responses to specific things he said--much less bother to answer the repeatedly asked question of whether or not he has actually PLAYED the game he so harshly attacks.

Since Mike_G said the character you play in the game is a rapist, which is not true, I think the answer is obvious: He HASN'T played the game, and no doubt gets all his (dis)information about it from unnamed officials in the Australian government. (No offense to you Aussies out there.)

It’s too bad, in a way, because I think there IS a debate we could have about violence in video games, but we can’t have it if people are going to be so evasively selective in the points they choose to respond to.

Chris_Anders

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I'm a hypocrate of sorts, cause I am participating in this debate now that I think of it. I must participate now in regards to the inflamitory remarks of Johnny Boy Spencer.

If you don't want to visit a forum where people disagree time and time again, I'm afraid you're are way, way in the wrong place. It's one of my favorite things about this place. If you want to go to a site where everyone agrees all the time and there is non-stop ball-washing and glad-handing, I'm sure you'd be welcome at the Barney website.
Boy oh boy Spencer, are you trying to draw me in or what? Thats just the kind of bickering and pathetic parting shot that I'm speaking of. I DON'T want to go to a "non-stop-ball washing and glad handling barney website" as you so elegantly put it. I love this forum, I visit it more often than any other forum on the net as the posters here are generally more intelligent than those of other sites in regards to video games and such.

I think that argumentation and disagreement are the keystones of a good web site forum. Hell, thats really what a forum is all about, discussion concerning differing opinions. What fun is it if there are no strong opinions being tossed back and forth? Not much.

But let me say this: There is a place for argumentation in a forum, and that place is in the appropriately titled Thread.

>I was frustrated because i started reading this thread hoping for some info on halo, and the contenders for Game of the year, NOT a Moral discussion on the do's and don'ts of videogame violence.<

And John, if you'de look at my other posts, you would have seen thats what I was saying.

As for the Mike G issue: Hey Mike, chill out buddy, go have a beer or cig or something. Hey I have an idea! Lets all get together and have a big party! At the party we'll hand out boxing gloves to those that wish to pummel another poster for making stupid comments. I think I'll cruise over to the Barney site that I visit so regularly, and get Barney as a ringer for my fight against John Spence. Barney aint as nice as you think John, I know him PERSONALLY and he's one mean purple freakin' dino.

Sorry to have bored you all, but hey, isn't that what a forum is for? It wouldn't matter if I rambled on for days, becaue I would still have a right to do so, as do you John Spence, unfortunatly.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Chris, I'm sorry if the world we live in doesn't cater to your tastes.
Discussions have infinite sources. One was sparked within this thread, and although it isn't directly related to the topic, it is indirectly linked, and it seems to be charging forward. If you don't like reading it, there should be a "Back" button on the top corner of your browser window that you can click.
EDIT: I just have to laugh for a moment. It seems this discussion has switched topics once again. Now we're arguing about the merits of arguing about the violence in GTA3. :)

Chris_Anders

Stunt Coordinator
Masood, I don't think you read a damn thing I said. Don't comment on my post if you didn't read it, or think about it. You know what, actually don't think about it, save yourself the brian power, you may need it to continue to make nasty comments directed at me. I don't mind, I have a back button, I just choose not to use it as I am starting to somewhat enjoy this minor battle we are all partaking in.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Okay, I guess I'll quote it.

Masood, I don't think you read a damn thing I said.
I did read exactly what you said. I continue to make valid points, while your best counter-argument is to simply discredit me personally as never having read your post; a weak argument at best.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
First, I just want to say that I really really really like Barney, and anybody who wants to say anything bad about the big guy is going to have to tangle with me.

Second, Chris, I think you are taking this thread way too personally. I don't think the poster who suggested you visit another thread or forum more to your liking was overly "inflammatory" in his comments (though he could have been a little less sarcastic about them, maybe). Now you seem to view this as a personal feud between the two of you.

I think it is usually a good idea to try to make attacks against ideas, rather than personal attacks directed at people. Notice I said "usually." Sometimes you WILL get a poster who is so obviously a jerk that he/she/it is just asking to get blasted to hell and back. But I don't see anyone here who fits that category, not even Mike_G--as annoying or unfair as some as his comments may have been. Say, where is that guy, anyway?

Chris_Anders

Stunt Coordinator
I'm happy to hear that you believe you have valid arguments Masood, obviously you think very highly of yourself. Hey, thats allright, self confidence is a good thing I suppose.

Here goes! I'm going to hit the "Reply" button as you suggested, and then, oh what the heck, the quote button as well.

If I disagree with what someone says in a post, or if I want to interject my personal opinion, I'm going to hit the "Post Reply" button. I am not going to go and create a brand new thread for it.
I'M STARTING A NEW THREAD!!! It will be titled, "VIOLENCE IN VIDEOGAMES, REGULATE OR NOT?"

Let your creative and argumentative minds roam free people, start from the beginning of gaming history in relation to violence in videogames and the supposed consequences, to the present day situation of more realistic violent games becoming mainstream.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks