its not just blockbuster, netflix is doing it too.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BradZ, Dec 18, 2001.

1. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

got my copy of the Mummy Returns in the mail today. guess what? Pan'n'Scan. Even though it clearly says widescreen on the rental screen. I'm afraid J6P is getting his way at the expense of those of us who paved the way for dvd's success. If this keeps up, studios may just start selling chopped movies exclusively. I can't wait till 16:9 sets penetrate the market more- of course then all 2.35:1 movies will probably be cropped to 16:9- witness HBO's HD practices.

should we start a petition to netflix as well? The reviews of the Mummy Returns are barking about it- maybe we should all just post there?

2. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

I believe that when The Mummy Returns first came out, Netflix had only the pan-n-scan version, and indicated this on the website. I assume they changed the website to indicate widescreen because they got some in. Maybe you just ended up with one of the leftover pan-n-scan copies?

3. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

I thought all along that they only carried the pan & scan version, which is why I never bothered to rent it. It was only when you brought it up that I see that they now offer it in widescreen. Marc is probably correct. I suggest that you return it and ask for the WS version. That should help send a message to them that they should segregate the good copies from the pan & scan ones. [​IMG]
    But I think NetFlix is overwhelmed right now with too many customers and not enough inventory. I have 45 titles on my queue and only four are available "Now" and the rest are either Short Wait, Long Wait, or Very Long Wait.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

6. Christina_V

Christina_V Guest

Even worse..........just received the new catalog from Columbia House...still have'nt ordered my 3 & then quit the club yet since i've been low on $$.
    Anyway......they had a HUGE ad on the last few pages advertising P&S ONLY!......though the said Full Screen,Not P&S of ocurse which will confuse people more. Said stuff like.... Modified to fit your screen,get the whole picture ect!!!! I was both horrified & also laughed at it since this is getting to be to much.....are studios & companies really "that" dumb & not care about film at all,just the allmighty doller???
    Well people should be able to get the hint from "modified"!...that means not the original version as seen in theaters...but i guess no on ever bothered to stop and think about that?