What's new

It's not dead yet - Disposable DVDs (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Great- I'll just put it in my computer right after I open it and illegally copy it onto a permanent disc!

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
I don't know, I think this incarnation makes alot more sense, if they can avoid copying, somehow.

Unless I misunderstood, the goal is to give current theatrical releases a rental window?

That works for me!
I'd be all for being able to watch a great copy of a current theatrical release for 48 hours, for $4.99.

Am I crazy, or am I misunderstanding their intention?

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
I too don't see a HUGE problem with these. I would see a lot more movies at home since my theater experiences have been less than stellar as of late.

My one concern is the disposable nature of these things, I hate the idea of another item heading to the landfills. Does anyone know if there is a recycling plan?

Greg Rakaska

Stunt Coordinator
My main concern with this scheme is the famous "slippery slope" argument. We are slowly but surely slipping down the slope of "pay per use" of all media entertainment. :frowning:

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

The article says that the film is "low budget", will open in only ten cities, and will be on cable TV shortly after that.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit

Right, but I assume that's a first step, in what would eventually be a "rent a current theatrical release" plan.

At least that's what I think *they* are hoping for, until the studios squash their dreams.

I'm simply saying that I'd be all for that concept, but in reality, I don't think this (disc) will be the way it will happen.

I would immediately buy some sort of set top box, that pipes in PPV current theatrical releases in OAR DVD quality or greater, that allowed for absolutely no recording posibility.

I'd happily pay up to $10 per rental too.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
Yeah, but I think that's a fair price considering what it cost to go to the theater these days, and the fact that several people would be able to watch, for a little more than the price of one.

Rolando

Screenwriter
the "best" part Kain_C is that if this does get started you won't have a DVD to buy because they will only make pay per use versions.

Studios win!

We are so screwed...

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
You people tend to jump to the most paranoid conclusions sometimes.
Not everything is a giant conspiracy.

By that same logic, why would new films be available for purchase NOW? Surely they could just prohibit sales of their films, and then force you to rent what you want to see.

If anything, there would be the potential for the studios to make tons more money this way.

Think about it....people who no longer bother going to theaters, could PPV current theatrical releases in their home. There's a huge potential for repeat viewings on blockbuster films. (How many times would have say, Spiderman 2 been rented?) There wouldn't be anywhere near the overhead involved with operating a 20 theater chain location.
And then, when the DVD becomes available, people would still buy it the way they do now.

The only downside I could see, is the piracy issue. If an absolutely secure system could be put in place, I don't see why this wouldn't be a HUGE success.

Picture a scenario where the kids are heading out for school in the morning, and you saying "Remember, Star Wars Episode 3 opens today, so we're gonna be watching tonight in the theater."
How great would that be?

Now I understand we're a LONG way off from that happening, but a guy can dream!!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

I couldn't agree more and, aside from accusations of "Paranoia", I don't understand why some can't see the logic in being extremely cautious with schemes such as this.
It's a business, trust me if they could get away with charging you every time you wanted to watch a movie at home they would and every time they stick their greedy little feelers out there to test the waters and see if it would be accepted I personally feel the obligation to loudly say NO.

Sorry if this smells of paranoia but I try to make it a point not to readily trust corporations.

"It's their product, they have a right to do as they wish"...true...but we are the consumers and they have to supply what we want not the other way around, don't let the rolls get reversed...any more than they already are at least.;)

....now if you'll excuse me..I..I think they are watching me through me TV....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks