1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

It's looking the Yankees time has passed.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

quote: I believe Baltimore has a higher payroll then the Yankees. Gee, see what money can buy! [/quote]
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/salaries?team=nyy
    Not even close, and they were paying Albert Belle's $12 million workman's comp too. The Orioles were 12th in salary. The Yanks once again led the leauge with $110 million + player accuisitions. Jeter, Clemens, and Williams made more than the entire Oakland squad.
    Oakland was 29th at $34mil, almost $80 million behind the Yanks. Sea is at about $80 million, but with Wally Bell, Reliford, Shulock, and Tim "the baby boy of the " Welke family scheduled for the ALCS they have no chance in a word very similar to Wally's last name.
    [Edited last by Joseph S on October 15, 2001 at 11:15 PM]

2. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

3. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Cracks me up how many people hate the Yankees. Many others say postseason baseball is boring year after year because the Yankees have been winning everything. I myself find greatness rather interesting.
    As far as the payroll issue, money has some effect on the kind of team you can build, but it is not guaranteed that you will field a winner, let alone a dynasty. Just look at Seattle this year and the Mets in the early nineties. In football, the Redskins of last year.
    The Yanks have a good manager and great chemistry at the core of their team as well as extreme confidence in themselves. Above all they have heart. My hat's off to them.
    P.S. I am not a Yankee fan. I'm a Mets fan. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    rickyhustle.com

4. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

5. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Sorry about the salary thing. I thought that with some of the acquisitions during the year that Baltimore topped the Yankees. Perhaps I read somewhere that Baltimore spent more money this year adding talent to the team then the Yankees. As stated above the Yankees have a tradition... they like to win. They have a superb organization. They also have class, never bad mouth the opponents or strut on the field. Tonight after the game Art Howe wouldn't tip his hat to them saying the A's made errors (true). Well Mr. Howe, baseball is not just offense. Defense counts too and the Yankees took advantage of your teams mistakes. Howe started bath-mouthing the Yankees last week in the New York press.
    Certainly Seattle has a younger, more talented team. They should beat New York..... maybe. [​IMG]
    ]
    [Edited last by Peter Kline on October 15, 2001 at 11:36 PM]

6. Ricky Hustle

quote: Do you mean the money they spent or that they didn't??[/quote]
    The money they didn't spend. And look where they are, playing in the ALCS.
    I brought up the Mets and Redskins because they spent a ton of money and fielded some of the worst teams in their respective leagues.
    [Edited last by Rick Gregorio on October 15, 2001 at 11:45 PM]

7. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Yeah, but it's not as if they got better because they lost those guys. If they had the cash they would just be that much better than they are.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Figures the Yankees would win Game 5 at home. Even if you hate the Yankees with a passion, you've got to hand it to them. They are a great clutch team.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

9. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

A bit of advice:
    Wipe that egg off your faces, naysayers, before it cakes on. It's harder to clean off if you wait.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Incidentally,
    I, for one, hope the Yankees re-sign Tino Martinez. After Giambi performance on the field it's quite clear he's not the defensive player that Martinez is.
    Not even in the same league.
    There are other offensive players out there (can you say, "Bonds?!?") that would strengthen the Yankees offensively without creating a defensive lapse at first base if the Yankees opt for Giambi instead of Tino + someone else.
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

10. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Robert, one game does not a season make. If you knew the A's, you'd know that Giambi has one of the best gloves at first base.
    Don't forget, Scott Brosius booted a few balls as well this series, but that doesn't mean he's a defensive liability out there....just had a bad defensive game. It happens.
    I seriously thought the Yanks would lose game 5 due to Clemens, but it didn't happen. I'll give 'em credit, nice series. And with Dye's broken leg, the A's could never have gone too far in the playoffs. Damn.
    Ah well, then again, being the Yanks, why limit yourself to Bonds or Giambi....they have the money to get both don't they? In fact, they should just sign Sosa in right and get all three players....that's Yankee baseball.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

11. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

MikeM,
    Don't misread my statement. I certainly would not turn down the chance to see Jason Giambi in pinstripes. I was just pointing out that he is not in the same league as Tino Martinez as a defensive first baseman. And you are mistaken. I get to see lots of Oakland A's games (thanks to satellite) and I'm aware of Giambi's play. Yes, he is an adequate first baseman, but he is not a great first baseman. Of course, he is an offensive powerhouse, so the total package is very tempting.
    Besides, now that Giambi has had a taste of Yankee Stadium magic (and seats that are occupied, rather than the embarassment of the no-shows in Oakland for game #4) I feel that he will want, more than ever, to become part of the team. He's already made this known and I see no reason why the events of te past few days would do aything other than to strengthen that resolve. My point was that Tino Martinez, one of my favorite Yankees, is not finished yet. If he doesn't re-sign with the Yankees, then some team is going to get a tremendous team player with intangible assets that show up in ways other than on the stats sheets. Did you see the way he timed his run from 2nd to 3rd base (perfectly legal!) to contribute to Chavez' booting of the ball? That's something you just can't teach.
    Also, Tino Martinez makes the other infielders better. Giambi does not. He (Giambi) is more powerful, but far less mobile. I'm just hoping that the allure of Giambi will not make Steinbrenner overlook the other things that Martinez brings to the table. It's not a coincidence that the current run started when NY acquired Tino from the Mariners.
    Speaking of "acquiring" - while I realize that there are some issues that have to be resolved regarding small market teams, I'm tired of the mantra that the Yankees "buy" their championships. True, the rich get richer (this is true in almost all areas) but money does not guarantee success. Can you say "Los Angeles" or "Baltimore?" or (and I love this one) - "Boston?"
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Boy, the Red Sox higher ups are real baseball minds. Clements through in 1996?
    Three Cy Youngs later, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And doesn't Texas look foolish after spending all that money on A-Rod?!? Money doesn't guarantee success - sound business principles and good management do that. The Yankees are great not only for whom they acquired, but also for whom they chose to pass on (including Sosa, Gonzalez and numerous others.)
    I feel that Bonds may end up in NY because Steinbrenner is forming a new network and the four years of chasing Aaron that Bonds will provide could become the crown jewel of the new enterprise. Unfortunately, I don't like Bonds' team dynamics, so the jury is out on this one.
    Whatever.
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

12. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

13. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Despite an intense dislike for the Yankees (and growing up an A's fan in NorCal), I'm glad that this will at least keep revenue flowing into the Big Apple.

14. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

quote: The A's are in the driver's seat. The Yankees usually get all the press, all the hype, all the best free agents with their $$$ and it's nice to see a bunch of kids from Oaktown slap it to 'em.[/quote]
    Yup.
    All the excuses aside, what happened last night, the last 3 games, really, was a bunch of true champions showing that "bunch of kids" what the word "champion" means. It's an incredible team, which an incredible city truly deserves.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Jack Gilvey on October 16, 2001 at 06:40 PM]

15. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

As much as I hate the Yankees, You can never count those guys out.

16. Ricky Hustle

AdrianJ,
    The Mets team I am referring to is the early 90's version, which you'll see if you re-read my original post.