What's new

It's looking the Yankees time has passed. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Now that the Yankees have dropped the first two games of their division series to Oakland at home, it is looking like the Yankees "dynasty" has passed. I am not a Yankees fan, but the Yankees winning it all would be great for New York City. You have to tip your hat to the A's thus far.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

MikeM

Screenwriter
All I gotta say is: YUCK THE FANKEES!!
biggrin.gif

The A's are in the driver's seat. The Yankees usually get all the press, all the hype, all the best free agents with their $$$ and it's nice to see a bunch of kids from Oaktown slap it to 'em.
Ummm.....then again, I'm from Oakland so I'm required to say that.
wink.gif

------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As a long-time baseball and Yankees fan, I expected the Yankees streak of consecutive championships to end one day but losing to the A's is an opportunity for the Yankees to turn the page on some players and bring in some new talent to recharge their inconsistent offense. I expect Yankees haters to relish in a possible playoff loss to the A's but your period of rejoicing could be short-lived as I expect the Yankees to rebound next season with a much better ball club than in 2001. It was a great run for the core group of this Yankees team but perhaps it's time to move on and bring in some younger players. If they lose, I'm not sad at all because I've enjoyed something in these last five years that fans of other teams have never enjoyed or at least experience in recent history. Four championships in five years is not bad at all. This will be my only response to this thread because I'm sure the Yankees Haters will be out in full force to beat their chests but so be it, everybody should have their day in the sun. However, if the Yanks lose this year, remember one thing, the Yankees will soon be back on top again and I mean very soon!
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Four championships in five years is not bad at all. This will be my only response to this thread because I'm sure the Yankees Haters will be out in full force to beat their chests but so be it, everybody should have their day in the sun. However, if the Yanks lose this year, remember one thing, the Yankees will soon be back on top again and I mean very soon!
See, this is why I can't stand the Yankees, and why my 2 years living in the City among Yankee fans was such a penance. You can't have your cake and eat it, man! You can't crow about 4 championships in 5 years, promise that the Yankees will be back on top soon, and also say that everybody should have their day in the sun. What you mean to say is, "The Yankees had their day in the sun, it's okay if someone else does when we have an off-year, but we will start a new dynasty next year."
I haven't even watched the World Series the last three years because the winner was such a foregone conclusion. BOR-ing. I hate dynasties.
It's not the Yankees' fault. They are, to a man, probably the classiest team in baseball, as much as it galls me to say it. And you can't really blame the fans, who have been spoiled so much by all the championships that it's hard for them to imagine any other fans having a claim on wanting their team to win. But the Yankees are exhibit A against baseball's salary structure, and Steinbrenner is the prosecution's star witness.
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

MikeM

Screenwriter
Very well put, Andrew. i couldn't agree more.
It's funny, when I hear knocks against the A's, it's always something like, "They have great young players but they never sign them when they really get good." This is not a strategic move to dump their talent and start fresh every 5 or 6 years, it's just the economics of baseball in a small market.
That's why it's exciting for me anyway to see David knock off a Goliath every few years. In the Yankees case, it looks like the time is now...too bad Goliath will simply buy body armor, and slap this Oaktown "David" silly next year! But hey, that's baseball.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
mike_sig.jpg

[Edited last by MikeM on October 12, 2001 at 07:56 AM]

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
By the way, I missed a 'like' in the subject.
redface.gif

Andrew, well said. Unfortunately for those who despise the Yankees, I think they will reload. George has a lot of money and will always have one of the top, if not the top, payrolls in the game. Does that always mean a team will win? No, but having a lot of money to throw at free agents is a good start. The key is having a front office with baseball saavy so that the right decisions are made. That's why the Braves have been so successful. Ted Turner has the cash, but doesn't interfere in player decisions. That's what he has John Schuerholz for. George should do the same thing as the Yankees rebuild.
------------------
My:

Jin E

Second Unit
In a game of streaks never count a team down 2-0 out. Braves have pulled it out before... so can the Yankees. Weaux!!!
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
But the Yankees are exhibit A against baseball's salary structure, and Steinbrenner is the prosecution's star witness.
Well stated and exactly why I HATE the Yankees - it's what they stand for! They should put an asterisk in the record books for every championship season until the MLB administrators get their head out of their collective asses.
tongue.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
Ironically, the Yankees could actually benefit if they lose this series. The players association main argument against a salary cap is that a small market team like Oakland can thrive and win as long as the front office is competent and does a good job selecting players. The players association could point to this series (assuming the A's win) and say, "see, there is no need place a salary cap on teams, look what the A's did." The potential result? No salary cap and the large market teams like the Yanks continue to outbid small market teams for marquee players.

James D S

Screenwriter
It'll be a great day for baseball when after the dust settles, the team with the second lowest payroll comes out on top over the NY Yankee$.
I'm not doggin' the Yankees for their payroll, if you got it spend it. But it still makes for a great story AND a great statement if the A's out-baseball them.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I'm not going to bash the Yankees but rather comment on revenue sharing.
MLB desperately needs revenue sharing in order to be successful long term.
First, while it is true teams are stand-alone corporations they need the parent organization, MLB, to be healthy in order to survive. Myopic views like those expressed by George Steinbrenner and other owners against revenue sharing are off base. Don't they realize that without a league their own corporations would be worthless? How would pay to watch the Yankees play a pick up game against themselves?
Second, MLB baseball needs to have a presence all over the country and not just in the major markets. It's simple, the more markets in which MLB has a presence the more opportunity it has in order to create new fans. Like any sports league, MLB needs to be continually adding new fans in order replace lost fans.
For those owners who are against revenue sharing, perhaps they should look at the most successful professional sports league; the NFL in order to see that revenue sharing can indeed work.
------------------

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
The NFL is a superb model for how to make a sports league work well, in many ways including revenue sharing. Unfortunately, we are probably going to need another strike or lockout to change baseball significantly. The MLBPA is one of the most powerful unions in America.
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

GARY C

Second Unit
They ain't dead yet.
Unless they come back 7 runs in the ninth, it's going to 5.
------------------
If you can't learn to do something right, learn to enjoy doing it poorly!

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Sooo....game 5 at Yankee Stadium. Just goes to show what a clutch post-season team the Yankees are. Can you say "momentum"??
------------------
Mark K. Lee
"Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
- Tom Lehrer

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Well, looks like I was a bit pre-mature in starting this thread. You've got to admit the Yankees' chances looked bleak, going to Oakland down 0-2. I'm changing my tune here. Frankly, I can't see the Yankees losing Game 5 at home. Yankee Stadium will be rocking for that one.
------------------
My:

MikeM

Screenwriter
Just goes to show what a clutch post-season team the Yankees are.
hmm...more like it just goes to show you that they are the only team in baseball to be able to pay $15 MIL a year to their number 3 starter.
wink.gif

Kidding, hey, the A's didn't deserve to win today's game. I seriously think the A's will win game 5 epseically since Clemens never beats the A's in the playoffs...but hey, this should be fun. And what's nice is that ANY sporting event is now better than that DAL/WASH Monday Night Game...jeez, the people at ABC must be pisssssed.
GO A'S!!!
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I believe Baltimore has a higher payroll then the Yankees. Gee, see what money can buy! :)
------------------

Mark Lee

Second Unit
And the A's can stuff it for at least one more year.... (and come to think of it, so can my ex-roomie from the Bay Area! :))
Oooh....I can't wait for this Yankees/Mariners series!
------------------
Mark K. Lee
"Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
- Tom Lehrer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks