What's new

"It's Like Being There"..... (1 Viewer)

Rich H

Second Unit
"It's like being there."

That's a quote from a friend who watched some DVDs on my Panasonic plasma screen last night. What I find amazing is how often that sentiment is expressed by people who see
images on my plasma. I don't mean sheer enthusiasm, like: "Wow, this looks fantastic." I mean specific comments on the realism, the window-on-reality feel of the viewing experience. When I was auditioning plasmas, I constantly heard comments from other customers in front of the plasmas: "It just looks real"-- "Like being on the set"-- "Like I'm there." Now that I own a plasma, these comments are a regular occurrence from guests.

Which leads me to wonder if enthusiasts of other display technologies encounter the same comments. Do you Projection/RPTV/CRT owners get the "realism" comments?

I've yet to see a RPTV/Projector/CRT image that had the sort of realism I see in good plasma displays (and I've seen many, many great displays). But that's me. What about you guys?

Thanks,

Rich.

Rich H

Second Unit
A mere 42 inches. Obviously not big enough to give an immersive experience, but just big enough to suggest a window effect, I suppose.

Rich H.

David Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
I've only seen plasma displays in crappy B&M stores and have always thought they didn't look very good (dull color compared to my FP, video artifacts, etc...). I suspect it's the setup at the stores (as with most other things at the typical B&M's). I would really love to see a properly setup plasma monitor for an accurate comparison.

Regarding your question related to realism comments, I get responses similar to yours from just about every new visitor. My projector is quite entry level (AE-100), but what it lacks in resolution it makes up for with colors and sheer size!

Mark Lehmkuhl

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a large room (20x30) so I don't consider anything less than 57".

That said, I'd have to say that the plazma sets are exceptional (except for their current size). If $$ were no object that's what I'd buy today. I own a 6.5 year old 4:3 CRT RPTV, and I would not buy another at this point. So I'm going to ride my set out for a few more years. Then when I'm in the market to replace my tv, I will definitely not look at CRT's. DLP, Plasma, LCOS, and possibly some other technologies. should be quite interesting by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks