it's kind of funny, I fry a turkey yesterday, no fire

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I start my car today, it bursts into flames.
    Go fucking figure.

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

WOOOHOOO CARFIRE!@!@!!@!@!!!

Pics of the burnt vehicle?

3. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Burst into flames??! [​IMG]
    As in what? I mean, as in disappeared in a big fireball, or as in the time Greg the Communist left his cigarette lighter in my father's Datsun, where it ignited the coconut matting in the rear seat, causing the seat cushions to catch fire, so that Dad was compelled to stop the car, rush into the nearest building, and [as it happened to be a Mexican restaurant] holler at the waiter for AGUA! AGUA! which was obligingly provided in a pitcher?

Either way, I'm sorry to hear it.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

well, I started the car and walked over to the door into the house to get something, glanced over and a big fireball engulfed my engine, all the way up to the ceiling. So I ran for the garden hose, turned it on and I was parked on the hose, so I scrambled around looking for a knife to cut it so my house didn't burn down, then got the flames kind of under control, but a fuel line melted and it was spraying fuel on the fire, fire dept. showed up and put it out, but my project miata that I've spent 8 months and a couple thousand bucks to install a turbo and tune is pretty well fucked.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Oh, and while my GF was on the phone with the FD and getting out of the house (and yelling at me to get out..) both dogs got scared and the puppy ran up and peed on my matress, which was naked while the sheets and matress cover were being washed... so that is ruined and I had to buy another.

7. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

How was the turkey?[​IMG]

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    [​IMG] Suck!

I took my parents to The Incredibles tonight. Before the movie, they played the current ad for St. Jude's children's cancer research center, with Robin Williams. With a wry laugh and a view towards past holidays, I told my mom that it's just not Thanksgiving without kids and cancer.

I'm sorry for your loss, but you can't have a proper holiday without some sort of disaster. [​IMG]

9. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

My roommate once drove to work to pick up his check. He left his old beater running in the parking lot as he went in (winter).

When he came out it was fire dept time. Totally burned up because no one was there to see it first catch fire.

10. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

It's not funny, hee-hee, really it's not. [​IMG]

Seriously, Philip, I did the same thing once: back in 1971 when I finished Army Basic Training, I decided to use my pay to buy a new-used engine for my 65 Lemans, whose 326 V-8 was worn out. All Pontiac V-8s were the same outside dimensions, so what the hell, I bought a 455 H.O. from a wrecked TransAm Firebird, and put that bad boy in there myself. The first time I fired it up, it backfired through the carburator and caught on fire. I had hooked up the fuel in and fuel overflow lines backwards.

Did you check your work?

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

no, not yet. Not touching anything until after my homeowner's insurance adjuster looks it over.

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Man that looks bad. Which blower were you installing? You got it plumbed for an intercooler, so maybe FMIII? Or since you have a 1.6 are you upgrading a Greddy?

13. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Sorry for your loss.

Carfires are pretty cool however (when they're not your own). Coming back from a movie last year at the local AMC, we drive past a carpool parking lot late at night and noticed a fire. At first we thought it was just a small woodfire, until we actually noticed it was a parking lot. We turned around, parked in the lot adjacent to it, and called the police (first and only time I've ever called 911) from my cell phone. It was pretty cool to watch. The entire car was engulfed, and several cars surrounding it had extensive fire damage. When various explosions went off (such as the tires exploding), they sent concussive blasts onto the building across the street, as well as us. We could tell because the windows would vibrate with each explosion (not enough to break, though it would've been cool. Then afterwards the fire department asked us a whole bunch of questions. Yep, that was one interesting night.

14. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Those pictures made me feel sad. That car is/was a beauty.

By the way, pet stores have products that might save your mattress, so hopefully you won't need to replace that.

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

what do you think caused it? in any case, sorry to hear your loss.

if it helps any, here's my "duh" car story. actually i got two of 'em.

1. the first time i tried to change my car's oil, i ended up draining the tranny fluid instead. drove around until i seized my tranny. nice 900 dollar mistake.

2 one time i was installing a new amp in my car. i ran a dedicated 10g wire from the battery straight to my amp -- with *no* fuse. i decided, while i was installing the amp, to connect the wire to the battery. so i had a hot line running from my engine, through the wall, down my carpet, under my seat.

without realizing it, i ended up grouding that wire to my chair-rail. that wire got so freakin' hot it burned all the way from the battery to my chair. i was able to literally snap it just by flicking my finger. i was lucky in that no critical engine wires/hoses burned, but my carpet was ruined. i coulda so easily burned my car. [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Where did all the oil you put in the car go? Or you put the oil in the tranny?

17. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I know it's nowhere near the level of your car fire, but my starter went out on Monday morning while I was out in the middle of nowhere....and it's a total bitch to get to for replacement.

Oh, and yesterday morning at 5AM my horn decides to go off all by itself and wouldn't stop. We didn't hear it, but sure heard the dozen or so neighbors beating the front door down. At least I got some good practice taking the steering column apart.

18. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

it's a greddy. I run one of the greddy forums.

19. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

believe it or not, i added *more* oil into the engine. i must say i'm very impressed at the 86 rx-7's ability to not blow oil seals. [​IMG]

20. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Damn, and you were worried about the pup getting into the Christmas tree. Well, at least the house didn't burn down. I saw an accident at one of our local malls this weekend that looked like something you'd see on I95. How this car could get destroyed on a road in a mall is beyond me.