1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Its inevitable, so I may as well get it over with

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulDF, Nov 19, 2002.

1. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

I hadn't planned on buying a proper sub amp for my 360L 16Hz Tempest for a few months, but I just can't get it out of my mind. My first choice seems to be the AVA 250, since I am from Canada eh. I am curious about the 18Hz rumble filter.

1. How will this work out with a 16Hz tune? Will I lose from 15-18 hz?
    2. Can anyone from Canada tell me their final price for the PE300-794 after shipping and duties?
    3. Is the AVA 250 the best amp for me in this price range?
    4. Is the power output 272 watts at 4 ohms same as the PE amp?

All advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You could always get a AVA250 from CSS (Canadian Adire dealer).
    http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=AVA250
    You won't have to pay duty on a PE300-794. You will get charged GST and a brokerage fee along with shipping though. I'd recommend you go though Acoustic Visions for it (more flexible with shipping options).
    Rough guess is it would cost you ~$300CDN by the time all was said and done.

3. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Yes, Dustin, as I said, Creative Sound was my first choice, since it is in BC. For the AVA 250. What about my other questions? How much is the brokerage fee? So what is my best option, keeping in mind I'd rather order from CSS. Are the two amps virtually identical, and what about the 18 hz filter with a 16 hz tune?

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

18hz filter and 16hz tune hasn't adversely affected mine at all.
    They are essentially identical except the 300-794 has the boost completely disabled and the rumble filter is still there and kicks in around 18-20hz, not sure exactly where. You can modify it to be identical to the AVA250 if you want.
    The other thing is the AVA250 now has the ability to bypass the crossover which is a good thing.
    Brokerage will vary depending on who you ship with. I think UPS would be $40CDN.
    http://www.ups.com/canada/using/soft...oms_rates.html
    Personally I think I'd order from CSS. Wish he was around when I built my sub [​IMG]

5. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

The brokerage fee is a killer. I paid $29 on my BP1503 from fedex and $46 on my gr-research kit from UPS. I usaully double the price When I see US$$.

If your going to use a rumble filter at 18hz I would just tune to 18hz. A rumble filter usually filters bass with a 6db/octave slope, which is mild but will still cut a lot of bass in the 10hz-14hz area and to a lesser degree the 16hz. With the higher tuning you may gain a little more output in the 30-40hz range as well.

6. clarification:
    Rumble filters are usually 2nd order filters (12db/oct)and usually have Fc's around 15-20hz

Buffer stages are 1st order (6db/oct) and usually have Fc's around 5-15hz.

7. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I thought that most were 6db/octave as to not mess with phase issues. Or is that just myth? and would say a filter was set at 16hz would it be down 3db at 16hz starting point?

8. Dan Pawlowski

Dan Pawlowski Stunt Coordinator

PaulDF
    I suggest you go for a AMP350 at $170 american its a steal. As for the rumble filter, Stryke supplies schematics, so if it aint where you like it find someone with some electronics knowlege and change the rumble filter to whatever suits you. IMO the PE300-794, AVA250 and AMP350 are all from the same manufacturer OEM, the distributers just change the inputs to suit their needs. I have a AVA250 and a Tempest, (soon to have a Tumult) and its a pretty good amp but the transistors in the AMP350 can handle a bit more current in the AMP350 hence the 350W into 4 ohms difference. As far as i know the transformer is the same though....bummer.
    Dan
    Dan

9. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

The AMP350 should end up costing you $340 total Canadian.

10. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

I hadn't looked at the AMP350 yet. Thanks guys. $40 for 100 extra watts is a no brainer. But I can't tell where the rumble filter is set at? And the boost would have to go.

I am not electronically braindead, so I could probably solder in a part here or there, but I'd rather not have to alter anything just for my own piece of mind...

Does anyone else have the AMP350? Would it be slightly better than the AVA250, if the rumble filter was the same and the boost taken out?