It's getting harder and harder to rent 16:9 DVDs :(.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronNWilson, Sep 7, 2002.

1. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

I think I read something about HTF starting a petition or something to prevent this very very disturbing trend. It was because of DVD that I bought a 16:9 screen and a CRT front projection system. The recently increasing levels of 4:3 dvds in rental outlets is very disturbing simply because of the fact you start to get used to something nice which was 16:9 and then it is taken away from you.

I have had to watch more 4:3 DVDs in the last 2 months than I have in the 4 years. Hopefully something can be done before this 4:3 nonsense gets out of control.

2. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

My wife picks up the DVDs at the Hollywood Video by her work and I have to remind her to make sure they are widescreen, which is getting tougher as they tend to put their sticker right over that section, so you see _____screen.

3. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

My local Hollywood Video has switched to widescreen only releases. Why? The consumers in my area wanted it that way!

Same goes for the Blockbuster Video...and my local Blockbuster Video even carries the unrated versions of films now.

4. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

What? You take home and watch the 4:3 image? To each his own I guess, but if I were you I'd be complaining everytime I want to rent a DVD that is not carried in its OAR. You say the non-OAR trend disturbs you, but you're supporting it by renting them.

5. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

I have to agree with the statement above. I really think that a lot of the selection individual people find in a rental store is a direct result of that rental outlets consumer base.

I remember boycotting my Blockbuster for quite a while because they wasn't enough of a DVD selection and not enough widescreen releases to boot.

When I went back in recently, to participate in their LOTR promotion, I was pleased to find a greater selection of DVDs, as well as widescreen options for virtually every release that had a pan-and-scan or widescreen choice. In fact, Queen of the Damned, which I rented last week much to my shagrin, was only awailable in widescreen.

I definitely think it is a product of your area, and perhaps the affluence of your area as well, as 16:9 televisions are still a relatively expensive proposition.

That being said, I'd make sure your complaints are voiced, and backed up with the action of not renting pan-and-scan if that is not what you want.

6. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    When JP3 and the Mummy 2 were released, my local Hastings only rented the fullscreen version. Me and a few select others grabbed handfulls of comment cards and filled their boxes with comments about how they needed to carry the OAR version of ALL films. We also got ahold of their customer comment sheets located in the video section and pointed out the facts on it about image loss on P&S v/s watching the OAR version and seeing what the director intended (including citing examples from various movies). This had the effect of not only letting Hastings know we were displeased with their choice of which format they were carrying, it also let the average consumer know about the benefits of widescreen v/s the evils of P&S. Believe it or not, people do read those comment sheets. What did this accomplish? Nothing at first, but after months of doing this, now, if a movie is released in dual formats, it will only be available for rent in OAR (for obscure and non-mainstream titles), or in both formats (for mainstream releases).

7. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Not a problem here for me. The Hastings in CS does carry OAR, although it's about 2:1 in favor of P&S, but they still carry it. You can guess which one I walk out with. Other nice thing is rental DVDs are 2:1 P&S< but the purchase side of things is probably 4:1 in favor of OAR. makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

8. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Hi, Chris. Nice to see someone else on HTF that lives in the Bryan/College Station area. I agree with your assessment of the local Hastings. They are generally good about stocking plenty of widescreen copies of rental DVDs that come in multiple versions, although sometimes they put them on the wrong shelf. I almost walked out the door with a pan'n'scan copy of the Rookie last week (ugh!).
    [​IMG]

9. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

Well Kyle the alternative is to buy all of the movies, I certaintly do not want to have to go out and start buying crappy movies too just because I want widescreen.

The blockbusters around here only rent 4:3, MovieGallery only rents 4:3 and the small guys only rent 4:3. I thought I might have some luck getting the small guys to buy widescreen releases but they said they only recently started carrying the 4:3 because people were complaining about the blackbars.

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

11. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

12. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

Yeah well that would probably work if you live in a large city but I live in a country town and it took a long time before rental dvds even became established here. I would not be at all surprised to find that I am the only person who owns a CRT front projection system in the whole town.

I have complained about the lack of widescreen titles but it seems pointless to complain to the same person over and over.

13. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I don't rent P/S discs, period. Even if it's a film that I absolutely, positively must watch (like, say A Midnight Clear).
    Aaron, have you thought of going through Netflix for your rental needs? If your local video shop can't provide widescreen, Netflix can.
    EDIT: Aaron, I see you are in Canada-does Netflix provide service to those above the border?
    Bruce