It's FLOODIN' down in TEXAS...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Henry Gale, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

All around San Antonio. We got it bad in '98 so no one really expected something this serious could come again, so soon.
    I live on a hill...and I hope all the rest of you in this area are safe as well.

2. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Im sorta on a hill, were ok here so far.

Not looking good for those around Canyon Lake or worse yet, Medina Lake where the dam may fail.

3. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Just after Houston got smacked last year.

Sucks for you guys, I know.

4. Allen W

Allen W Stunt Coordinator

I read several article about it in the Dallas Morning News this morning. They interviewed several people who had bought property and built houses ontop of the foundations of houses that had been 100% destroyed in '98. The houses were underwater yesterday to the roofline. I feel sorry for anyone who loses their house but several of them said they didn't think that it would happen again. Huh? They knew they were building in a floodplain close to the Guadalupe river. One guy said he would probably tear it down and rebuild it a 3rd time.

5. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    The Austin area got pounded with rain last week, but no flooding that I am aware of.

As for the people who plan to rebuild in the flood plain again ... how do they even get flood insurance for those properties? And I wouldn't even consider building anything in such a flood-prone area if I couldn't get insurance to cover it...

6. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

Since I'm a truck driver hauling gasoline, I've seen all sorts of accidents and high water all over town. I had to back up the rig a 1/2 mile when part of 410 was flooded. It took me 2-1/2 hours just to leave S.A. that day. It normally takes 1/2 hour.

I also can't believe the idiot drivers out there. Just because you have a 4X4 doesn't mean you can cross a low water area without getting pushed away by the current.

The flood of 2002 was unexpected. We were in a drought before all this began. The water was going to be rationed. Well, we have plenty now.

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    My cousin lives in Pipe Creek on a bluff above the Medina River and she says where the water is usually about 4 feet deep it's now more like 50 feet!

8. HienN

HienN Stunt Coordinator

9. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

10. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

actually, the whole "100-year flood" term is a percentage of a flood of that magnitude happening in any given year, something like a half of 1% chance of happening in a year.

and i bet people's flood insurance is high or will be going higher after this.

i live in Seguin, and this years flood is only slightly lower than the '98 flood

11. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Ross,
    If you're still in Seguin you must be wondering why 100 years passes so quickly!
    Today I saw water like never before. The Guadalupe may be barely under control, but all the "little" streams made for much delay and inconvenience.
    I do hope hope many people will read this thread and realize that moving here would be a huge mistake. [​IMG]

12. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to here about all this. You are more than welcome to come live here in Pensacola, where things like Hurricane Ivan come to towm and flood everything and tear it apart in the process.[​IMG] My parrents were flooded up to the ceiling of their first floor (9.5 feet) when Ivan came ashore. I know what a mess a flood can do and I feel for those going through this right now.

13. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

We live in Stone Oak, in a valley of sorts, but we have no problem with flooding. On the other hand, trying to get out of the area when there's a heavy rain can be problematic since the whole area is hills, and certain roads become impassable.

14. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Hell, Houston is flat and certain highways become impassable. [​IMG]
    Endless pouring rain tends to do that.

15. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

And all the telephone lines are down??

16. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

I looooooooove all this rain. But at about 1:20 AM last night, a HUGE thunderstrike sound woke me up (sounded like it was outside my window) and set off all the car alarms within a mile radius (thats what is sounded like, anyways). No sleep for me that night.

17. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

Wow, can believe this thread is still floating around.
    No pun intended. [​IMG]
    Had to work in that rain again. Driving all over town making gas deliveries. I had a short night. Didn't encounter to many closed roads.