What's new

It's finished -- I'm Dr. Dave, now! (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
working full-time and getting my thesis done
That's a real challenge. It's not uncommon for Ph.D. candidates to be working the last several months, while finishing writing the thesis and preparing for the defense. I, however, did not do that. The additional coursework required for the Ph.D. can be a real downer for people, too.

Greg - where abouts in Rochester are you?

E

Eric Kahn

150 to 300 pages, I know this is not for me, I had problems writing a 10 page report on the 12 apostle's in high school
(went to catholic high school) I also never finished college, the art of doing math with letters escapes me:D
congrats on the PHD my brother has a masters in conputer science that took him almost 8 years to get going part time after work

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Greg,
thanks for the info. I checked it out briefly, and it looks like what I was searching for.
Now I'll have to play with it! :D
Dave,
you're right, working full-time while messing with your thesis ain't a cakewalk. Especially with multiple overtime opportunities!
It got weird towards the end. My thesis advisor went on his 25th wedding anniversary trip just before I was supposed to get his final signature. He hadn't mentioned this trip to me... I ended up faxing him the text portion in 5-point. He faxed his signature back, after reviewing it. Then the rest of the committee signed.
Otherwise, I would have had to wait another year...
Mike

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I ended up faxing him the text portion in 5-point. He faxed his signature back, after reviewing it.
Mike - FAX + 5 pt font = unreadable. I wonder, if like some advisors I've know, "reviewing" meant "see if there are pages with words and figures" ;)
When I gave my advisor my first complete draft for review, the copier was on the fritz. Unbeknownst to me, some 10 or 30 pages weren't copied. So, of course, my advisor is very confused in places, where the text just jumps topic.
Then, since he's out of town, I FedEx him a new copy. However, FedEx overnight means "next afternoon" for his location. And his flight out was that morning. Somewhere, a draft of my thesis is lost in FedEx or at some hotel mailroom :)
Greg - thanks (was just curious) Me - Movies 10 is in my backyard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks