It's college basketball time!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Fisher, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Well, its that time of the year again, college basketball. My favorite college sport. Two great games tonight, Syracuse vs. Memphis, and Oklahoma vs. Alabama.
    My favorite team is Louisville (where I'm originally from), who will be going to the sweet sixteen this year, mark my words! I also have to pull for my alma mater Auburn, but they need to just stick to football. So I guess you know who I'm pulling for in the Oklahoma-Alabama game! [​IMG]
    Let the games begin!!!!

2. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Finally! After watching the Red Sox tank and the Cowboys choke, college hoops is finally here. I'm a UCONN Husky alum and UCONN hoop fanatic (as we all are here in CT). The dogs are picked in most polls to be in the mid to high teens. They have a ton of young, raw talent and I think that if they learn to play together they can go 10 deep and might run some teams into the ground. One of their freshman guards scored 111 points in a high school game last year! They are playing the Globetrotters on Saturday. ?????? I guess Maryland played the Globetrotters last week but I didn't hear what it was like.

I'm going to have to get rid of the pathetic star logo in my sig and get me a Husky!

Should be some great games in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic tonight.

Ralph

3. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Hey, a fellow Husky alum! Yeah, I think the men have a chance to be really good this year if they find a consistent power forward. The game against the Globetrotters should tell the tale. Maryland beat them, but the Globetrotters have done pretty well in the preseason, including an 86-61 whupping of St. John's. They lost by a basket to Vanderbilt, and I think they play Mississippi St tonight. At any rate, it should be a good preseason test--better than the Louisiana Futures, anyway!
    Go UConn! [​IMG]

4. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

GO DUKE! GO DUKE!

Yes the trots are playing quite well, only caught a minute of the Maryland game but noticed both Olden Polynice and Cedric Ceballos. Old Ced can still score the rock!

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well I'm excited! I can't wait for my UCLA Bruins to have an underperforming PAC-10 season, sneak into the tourney as a #8-11 seed, rattle some high seeds and make it to the Sweet 16, then run into a well-coached team and exit in a convincing manner. And it will be enough to save Lavin's job...

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Carlo, it could be worse. You could be a Michigan fan. What an embarrassment the Wolverine's program has become.

7. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    Go BIG TEN!!! If my boilermakers have another bad year, I may have to do something drastic! Hopefully Gene Keady turns things around or it may be the end for him.

8. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Well, I got that logo problem fixed!

Chad,

Laettner is to UCONN as Niedermier is to Delta House! 1999 championship game was sweet revenge for knocking UCONN out of the NCAAs twice! Looks like UCONN-Duke is a rivalry heating up in women's hoops too.

I read the article in the paper today about the Globetrotters. They're a real team now. Ceballos and The Big "O" are proof. Looking forward to it now! I was worried about someone getting hurt doing something stupid. Which I guess could still happen. One player has already been arrested for jumping out of bushes on campus dressed in a black mask and brandishing a rubber knife soaked in fake blood.

Where's that Syracuse guy Tom Rags? We were having the DTs because Syracuse-UCONN didn't play last year. Should be a great time in Hartford. February 10, 7:00 pm on ESPN!

Can't wait! Should be a fun year!
    Ralph

9. Jack Fanning

Jack Fanning Second Unit

Jack Fanning
    ROLL TIDE!!

Damn, Alabama looked good last night. Excellent backcourt with the best PG in America with Mo Williams, a strong presence in the middle in Dudley, a strong bench and a tenacious defense.

Look out for the Tide!

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scott,

What happened at Michigan is, indeed, sad. In these situations, one has to feel bad for the current players. They are caught in the middle. If I were a current Michigan player, I would consider transferring. It's a shame that players in this situation have to sit out a year if they want to transfer. Anyway, the purist in me says that the players should be thinking about their education, and Michigan is a great school. However, the reality is that at least some of the current players are very likely feeling some uncertainty about playing ball at Michigan right now. I would.

All,

I love college basketball, but I don't really expect a lot from Illinois or Penn State. Well, I never expect much from Penn State, but maybe Illinois will be competitive.

Oklahoma lost their opener last night, but it's a long season. Unlike college football, one loss, especially early, does not hurt a team, except possibly psychologically.

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I pretty much only pay attention to Division III St. Joseph's College (of Maine)... Basically, because my brother Travis is on the team (#33, as properly befits a scrappy white guy who can sink threes), although he's been injured so often - at various points, both ACLs and a broken hand - that he hasn't had much of a college career.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, it's a shame that your brother has injured so much. It must be great to see him play and cheer him on, though. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You said:

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Yeah, he's not pleased. I keep telling him, he wouldn't spend so much time on crutches if he lived a healthier lifestyle which involved sitting on the couch, watching TV and eating potato chips. [​IMG]
    The heck of it is, I don't get to see him play very often, since I've been living down here since he started college, and most of his games are up thar in Maine. His school's in a Thanksgiving tournament in Boston Thanksgiving weekend, but I don't know if he'll be up to playing by then.

14. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, that's got to be frustrating for you and your brother. [​IMG]
    You said:

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Although, really, he was too good to be called "scrappy".

Trav's worn #33 since, I don't know, the womb. I think the really frustrating thing for him is that he might have had a chance to transfer to a Division-I school a year or two ago (UNH), but that's when his second ACL went out. Not that he's quite NBA caliber, but he might have had a chance to play professionally for a year or two in Europe or Korea.

17. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Very exciting! Watch for my Hawaii Rainbow Warriors to be WAC champs again! [​IMG]

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, wow, so your brother really is/was quite good. It really is a shame that he has been held back by injuries.

19. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    Bear Down AZ Wildcats! Woooo Hooooo!!!!

20. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Cool, we've got basketball fans from around the country!!! Let's hope this thread is as cool or even cooler than the football thread.

Go U.K. Wildcats!!!