It's Build Time

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike Fitz, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Mike Fitz

Mike Fitz Auditioning

Apr 13, 2003
    It's time for another computer at work. So why not bring in the one from home and build a new one for the HT. I finely found a couple of guys that really know computers, networking, and viruses . They have been keeping the company running smooth. I asked them to build my new HTPC. Great PC guys but new to HT. This is what they came up with. I have a HD 55" Mitsubishi w/firewire. I'm really looking for the best video & sound & fun. If the HTPC doesn't work out I can always go back to progressive scan DVD. I still need a computer

DSL ready
    Pentium 4 2.4GHz
    256 MB DDR333 PC2100 Ram
    80GB 7200rpm HDD
    52x cd-rom
    16x DVD
    64MB GeForce4 MMX 440 TV-Out Video Card
    10/100 Network Interface Card
    PCI3D Sound
    Windows XP Pro

any sites with there list are welcome
    Thanks, Mike
  2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Dec 3, 1999
    Get more RAM -at least 512mb (it's cheap)

I'd re-think the video card option. I'm sure someone will offer a more HTPC-centric suggestion but I'd suggest one of the ATI All In Wonder varients.

PCI 3D sounds pretty vague...if you're doing HTPC you're going to want a pretty decent soundcard. Find out more about their plans.

Otherwise, it sounds good. What case?
    Here's something interesting for comparison. This is the suggested PC specs listed on the new Terminator 2 high-def DVD:

-Windows XP Professional
    -Windows Media Player 9 Series
    -512 MB RAM
    -3 GHz Processor
    -128 MB/3D Video Card
    -24 Bit 96 KHz Multi Channel Sound card
    -Mouse, Speakers,/Headphones
    -Network connection of at least 56.6 kbps
    -Recommended display (1600x1200)

Certainly, you don't need all that for standard HTPC stuff but it's a nice reference for the future.
  3. Robert-Y

Robert-Y Auditioning

May 30, 2003
    I'd agree with Camp - get a ATI Radeon 9700 All-in-Wonder 128MB/TV out. It's about $350. The Nvidia 64MB GeForce4 MMX 440 TV-Out Video Card that you specified uses an slower processor.
  4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Mar 7, 2002
    If you're actually going to use the TV Tuning capabilities of a HTPC, go for a Cognexant CX or Philips SA chipset TV Tuner card instead of an AIW, especially with a 55" HDTV, where the quality difference will be readily apparent.