What's new

It's been so slow with classic movie news!! (1 Viewer)

Corey

Screenwriter
Monday better be chock full of announcements on Monday for November and December: Eleanor Powell, Bonnie & Clyde, Cool Hand Luke, Forbidden Hollywood Vol 2, and Glenn Ford.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison

It's now Friday in Australia ;)

Corey - have you ever thought about purchasing a multi regional player? Seriously, it is the best piece of equipment I have ever purchased! It has has paid for itself over and over.

Corey

Screenwriter
All is quiet on the Warner front. Power load of goodies for next week's announcement I presume.

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
I'm getting a bit nervous but not as much as I'll be if there is no good announcements by early to mid October. LOL. I hope you are right about announcements next week. L.A. Confidential, and Bonnie & Clyde are the ones I'm waiting for.

Taxi Driver CE [purchased]

Rooney & Garland collection [September]

Graduate CE [out? but not purchased]

Breathless [October]

Jazz Singer 80th [October]

Blade Runner 5 disc set [December]

L.a. Conidential 10th [???????]

Bonnie & Clyde 40th [???????]

John Ford At Fox box set [December release and I might get it if I get enough Christmas money from family. If not I'll have to wait untill about March. LOL $300 OMG!!! :0 ]

I wish they could spread the DVD releases out during the year so that we don't have to empty out our bank accounts at the holidays [of all times to do that]. :frowning: I'm going to have to save up about $700 or more for DVD at Christmas of 2008. LOL.

I also did not include the Kubrick set. :0 Oh my aching wallet!

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
I hear ya Richard. I have about 60 DVDs on pre-order, including;

Barbara Stanwyck Signature Collection
Burt Lancaster Signature Collection
Fox Horror Set
Deliverance
Leading Ladies Collection
Sam Katzman Horror Flicks
Blade Runner (for my brother for Christmas)
The Lady Vanishes (Criterion)
Fox Midnite movies
Twisted Terror Collection
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Stanley Kramer Boxset
The Reaping
Bloodhounds on Broadway
The Girl Next Door

etc...etc....etc....

Matthew H

Second Unit
My Best Buy got rid of the classic movie section they had. They had a massive selection - everything from Bogart to Hitchcock - tons of boxsets, and individual films. This was last Christmas. I just went in there the other day for the first time in months and they got rid of it.. had to make way for Blu-ray and HD-DVD. So I asked the guy if they had any classic films, B&W.. all he could say was "Oh so you're looking for a Western?". Ugh. I was appalled. They have a few select Musicals (which don't appeal to me) and some John Wayne movies. That's it. brick & mortar are a waste of time. God bless DDD. :)

On a side note..
Are we talking the Laurel & Hardy film? Because I could have sworn Hallmark (which may be distributed by Lionsgate now; Artisan is done) owns the rights. Unless I'm totally off here and it's a different film of the same name.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
It's sad, since Best Buy used to carry many titles, now that Walmart and Best Buy have driven the more complete retialers out of business (Tower, Suncoast - and many more in the LA area - including CD's) they have stopped carrying classics and such. The only place to find these is on line. (And many people still don't shop on line)

ReggieW

Screenwriter

Well, they've (Harlow for sure) had to wait for years now, so I don't see how this'll be any different. So 2007 will slip by with no Harlow releases from WHV (sigh). I have a feeling that if Jean's films had been at FOX or Universal, they would've all been out by now, probably years ago in her own collection.

I have no faith that WHV will be releasing a Harlow set anytime in the next few years, nor if they are, that the special features on it will contain anything interesting save for a few vintage cartoons. We've been told year after year that it's coming to no avail. Her centennial is in 2011, so maybe we'll be lucky enough to have one by then. Maybe?

What a shame.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison

Perhaps the restoration of some of her films is proving costly and taking more time than first thought? I don't think I remember Warners giving us a definitive year of release for a Jean Harlow collection.

Given she is one of my favourite actresses, I too am anticipating this release. I was just hoping for Cool Hand Luke and Bonnie and Clyde before Christmas for Dad.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham

Actually, I've found Borders to be a pretty good source for classic DVDs. They were the only ones locally to carry the Jack Benny CHARLIE'S AUNT, for instance. They sell at list price, but if you check the Coupons and Bargains forum, there is almost always a 20%-30% coupon available that makes them competitive with BB.

ReggieW

Screenwriter

In the 2005 HTF chat, they said it would be out by the end of 2006 and that it would be a "bombshell" - whatever that means.

We are now approaching 2008.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Looking forward to announcements too (I love surprises!) - so happy about ALL the great titles being released this fall so far!!!

Just read that Jane Wyman passed away at 93. Here's another lady who deserves more of her films on DVD - Magnificent Obsession, anyone? And especially The Glass Menagerie!

Not worried about Jean Harlow - sure Warner will let us have a winner of a boxset when the time comes :) That's one studio we don't have to worry about! Ditto for Fox, I might add.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks