What's new

It's been a while. Who now has VoIP? (1 Viewer)

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
That's corrrect Jim, you can do that. As you state you need to remove outside phone connection or you'll destroy the VoIP phone adapter.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Thanks Bob. When I talked to a tech at Lingo(I'm considering Lingo) he said that I couldn't do what I asked in this post. He said I'd either have to buy a wireless phone jack transmitter, or buy an expandable phone system. Is he full of crapola? I know a couple other companies say I can use my current phone jacks as long as I unhook the incoming phone line. Is it possible it would work with other company's phone adapters and not Lingo's? How is yours hooked up and what company do you have?

Jeff Pug

Stunt Coordinator
all I did was go out to the phone box and unhooked the cable from the phone company connections and tied them together. Then I plugged a line one jack and all my other will work now.

SarahG

Second Unit

I was under the impression that you had to use the gizmo of SunRocket's if you are using their service. If you are having trouble using your own phones with a voip adapter, you could always just go with SunRocket and you end up getting free phones anyway. You don't have to go out and buy an expandable cordless phone system.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
My wife just signed us up for VoiP this past week. We're supposed to hooded up sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I just got an email from Vonage saying that calls from the U.S. to the UK, Ireland, France, Italy and Spain are now free (after you pay Vonage your 24.95 a month of course!)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
We received our DSL and Voip box a week or so ago. We're waiting for our number to be switched over so we can install everything. Still on Cox for now...

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I just installed my SunRocket ($199 annual deal) and I'm very impressed. I'm waiting to make sure everything stays stable before dropping my landline, but I have a question:

Is there an adapter or something that will allow me to use the SunRocket for my alarm system and/or satellite receiver phone line? It would be great if the system could somehow attach to my house's wiring.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Just signed up for the Sunrocket deal yesterday. Got a 2nd local number so my parents in Missouri are now a local call.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I switched to Vonage yesterday, and i like it so far...if i had seen the Sunrocket deal I would have taken that though.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I received my SunRocket modem today. Set it up in a few minutes and it works great. Very good quality on calls. Now to transfer my number and say goodbye to BellSouth.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I thought I'd give a Sunrocket update. I've had service for about a month now. Yesterday they ported my home number from BellSouth so BellSouth service has been cancelled. Last night I disconnected all wires coming into my phone box and plugged Gizmo into a phone outlet. All internal phone jacks are now active and everything works as normal.

I have been overall very happy with Sunrocket. Voice clarity is always equal to or near land line quality. There was a couple hours in the last month that I could receive calls but got a busy signal when making calls. I called the Sunrocket service number and they already had a recorded message that there was a technical issue in my area and they were working on it. It was resolved in a couple hours.

The only other wierd thing that occurred was when making a business conference call from home. I dialed into the conference number and my passcode would not be accepted. I ended up calling in with my cell phone and I got in but connection was still bad. That was the only instance that I had a problem with conferencing. It has worked all times before and after. I don't really know what the issue was on that one.

So VoIP isn't perfect, but so far it's close enough for me. Having the combination of cell phone service and Sunrocket service makes telephone communication bullet proof enough for me and a lot less expensive. I enjoy all of the voice mail and other options that come with VoIP. Since I took advantage of the $199 for 2 years with Sunrocket, I'll not see a telephone bill for 2 years.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Hello, all!

Yesterday, our phone line finally got switched to CavTel's VoIP service, Phonom, with DSL broadband. Setting up was fairly simple. I had a couple of questions, but was able to speak to a tech pretty quickly. Used Speakeasy to test my speed, which was very low. Called the techs again, they did something to it, and now my download runs between 400 - 600 Kbps, and uploads 200-300 Kbps. Did notice that, depending on what website I am going to, my voice signal over the phone is slightly affected as the pages load.

Our service includes Caller ID (which worked right off the bat last night!), call forwarding, voice mail (with eventual web voice mail promised), and a few other things we've never had before. We're also getting 500 minutes of long distance per month.

Voice quality is decent to very good, considering we're sharing voice line and DSL internet. We have a V-tech wireless phone system, with four phones through out the house. Everything seems to be working just fine for now.

Our setup is wall jack>DSL modem>Digital Voice Converter>split to V-tech phone base and wireless router.

Oh, yeah, and we're paying 34.99 per month. With Cox, phone and internet was running about $80 per month, with no long distance and no extra features.

As we go along or run into problems, I will give updates.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
SBC now AT&T combined in Dallas, has ticked me off, one to many times.
Voting the only method which does effect them, I’d like to cancel 3 lines (2-land - 1 cell - Cingular (owned by)) I have currently via this corporation, cutting them out of (my life) completely.

But I am lost in the land of VOIP etc. and stubbornly refuse to do business via my PC, which I consider undependable and never secure.

Goggling for an hour I can find no alternative for any other provider of landlines in Dallas (other than SBC/AT&T)

Any living in my region have any alternatives for me?

I would like to conduct ALL business via the telephone (land-line or VOIP) and NOT via my PC. In other words; the company has to have phone based Customer Service for all transactions. I don’t do account checking /ordering / registration/accessing for any “service” or “company” via my PC. (it can run through my PC ...but not require logging in account and personal information to resolve any downage issues or access the basic parts of the service). I want to 'call' the provider via the phone for any services.

I don’t want my phone service tied with required constant connection to D*. (my satellite provider)
Won’t have a phone line hooked up to my TIVO, STB other than for a one-time initial setup of any new STB I purchase. (I’ll drop D* when they force this)

I need something rock solid, (can back up with UPS if necessary)
Prefer the tried and true of one landline, but pricing has become ridiculous for ‘basic’ services.
Need to order and transact my business with whatever provider solely over the phone for any and all issues.

Need fax/voice/Internet access via, - some stable system which doesn’t require routing through AT&T & SBC.

Any thoughts for someone who does not really understand VOIP?

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Well, we gave it four months. We've been plagued with problems - slow downloads and uploads, disrupted calls when on the internet, techs who didn't know what they were doing, and overcharged three months in a row.
Wife finally called Verizon, who's been putting in fiber optic cable in our neighborhood for the past two weeks, and we're switching to their FIOS internet (TV service is not on the schedule for Hampton Roads yet). Starting with the basic 3mb DL, getting a modem with integrated wireless G router, etc., etc. Paying about $20 more a month, but we've always had good service with Verizon.

VoIP sounds good on paper, but CavTel really screwed it up for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks