What's new

It's been a while. Who now has VoIP? (1 Viewer)

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
My family is using Optimum Voice. We get this strange sound breakups over people with cellphones though. Happens at night mostly.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I ordered VoicePulse yesterday. The ATA device shipped today, supposed to arrive on monday.

I will give it a go, keeping my normal land-line service for a couple weeks.

If it works well, I want to port my exisitng land-line number over to VoicePulse. Any idea how long this takes? And are you without service at all during the process?

Jeff

SarahG

Second Unit

Yeah, it may vary from customer to customer. It also depends on the current phone provider and how fast they move in allowing the number to get ported. I heard a while back that some of the land line companies were giving people are hard time with it, I guess because they didn't want them to leave.

Anyway, hopefully SunRocket will get it done sooner rather than later for you.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor

I don't know how it works with VoicePulse.

When I switched at CallVantage I hooked the box up and could immediately start making outbound calls using VoIP. During that time I could make and receive calls using my old land line.

On the morning the switchover occured I never noticed any problem and started receiving calls with CallVantage. After receiving two calls over VoIP I went over to the land line and it was dead. I unplugged the land line and haven't looked back.

Ron C

Stunt Coordinator
I've been using optimum voice for a few months; I've had no problems at all. There isn't any distinguishable difference in sound quality and the service has been very reliable. It also has an option to check your voicemail online. I got the service for the cost savings. There was a promotion for $15/month, unlimited calling in the US (normally goes for $35/month). I was paying $50/month for Verizon at the time, so I said why not and gave it a try. Haven't looked back since. The technology uses VOIP over cable lines. It plugs right into the cable modem.

SarahG

Second Unit

Yeah, they are good phones. I don't know the model number off the top of my head, but I like the phones very much. They are compact, pretty high quality phones, especially for free! I'm not too technical when it comes to the home phones, sorry I can't offer you more. But yes, I do like the phones. 2.4 ghz I think.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Thanks. Maybe I'll return the $120 panny 5.8 gig phone I just bought from Target then. Though my wife is in love with that phone and all the nice features!

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
VoicePulse delivered my Sip 2002 ATA device today. The thing is tiny, from the pictures of it I was expecting it to be router-sized. Its only the size of a deck of cards.

I plugged it in to my internet connection, and had dialtone immediately. Made a few calls, sound quality was pretty good. Then I noticed they had defaulted the "Bandwidth Saver" feature to "Meduim". I changed it so it uses less compression and the sound quality got alot better. Its better than my landline service.

Tested out the voicemail, its really cool that they email you any new voicemails, with .WAV files attached that contain the actual message.

I will give it 2 weeks then port my landline number over and cancel bellsouth (who I pay $70/month for unlimited service).

Jeff

SarahG

Second Unit

Yep, those look like the ones. Very compact. I like the phones. A lot of little features, if you learn how to use them all...

SarahG

Second Unit

So, are you going to return these phones and use the SunRocket phones or are you going to just use the phones you have?

Jeff Pug

Stunt Coordinator
my sunrocket should be here this week. I didnt even think about listing Sarah as referrel. I choose sunrocket over vonage based on her reference.

SarahG

Second Unit

I'm flattered. I didn't even think about that for some reason. Let us know when you get all your equipment and get set up. Should be pretty easy. Be interested to hear how it's going.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I have had my Voice Pulse service for over a week now, so far so good.

One problem I noticed was that call quality was terrible when I was downloading files on my PC. Break-ups, echo's, etc. It was really bad. So I picked up a new router (a Linksys WRT54G) that has Quality-of-Service settings. It allows you to set priority on each device connected to the router. I set the Sip device to maximum priority, so it gets all the bandwidth it needs. Now I can download/upload like crazy during calls and it has no effect on call-quality.

With that problem solved, I am confident my land-line is no longer needed. I faxed Voice Plus the Letter of Authorization to port my old number over, hopefully it doesnt take to long and I can kill the Bell South service soon.

Jeff

Jeff Pug

Stunt Coordinator
sunrocket came, installed quickly. i am seeing some issues of my router losing its dns settings for a short while. But the phone sounds good. The price is great.

I didnt have the right code to get the phones so if anyone has one please send it along so I can try to retro order them.

Jeff Pug

Stunt Coordinator
sent a fax and it works with the satelitte receiver. Sunrocket looks good except an occasional echo

SarahG

Second Unit
Let us know how how it works out for you as you get it going. You may be able to fix the little bit of echo you are experiencing. Give CS a call and see what they recommend.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I currently have 3 cordless phones and 1 regular phone all plugged into different phone jacks(in different rooms). If I switch to one of these VOIP companies, can I still use my current phones plugged into my wall jacks? Can you hook up the phone adapter to a phone jack and "energize them all?" I realize I'd have to unhook the incoming phone line to the house. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks