What's new

It's been a long day in Speakerville... (1 Viewer)

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Rolled out of bed this morning around 6:30am. All 5 of my new PSB's lay in the garage, patiently awaiting their new home inside. But they had to wait. Was off to Starbucks for some personal fuel and jump start. Around 8am it was off to Home Depot for a 1" hole drill bit and misc stuff. Not only was it time for new speakers, it was time to replace the lousy (20ga wire that looks like a mouse cord) for my rear speakers. Builder that prewired drilled little tiny holes that new wire couldn't even be pulled through. Got the pleasure of drilling holes laying flat on my stomach in the attic, half buried in insulation. As an added bonus, Mother Nature decided to make it 112deg here in AZ.

Four hours later the attic work was done. Came back down and put the wall plates in place. Tossed the old speakers in the garage. Began placing the new ones and connecting wires. A quick trip back to Ulitmate Elec for new cable ends. (Got rather annoyed that Monster's ref M1.4 bi-wire cable has spades that are too small to fit the PSBs.) Grudgingly picked up bannana tips and went on my way.

Six PM and it's all done. TPM is running, a cold RedHook ESB graces my throat and it's time to relax and enjoy. (Yeah, I know: they've got to break in first.)... Was feeling a slight guilt on the WAF (almost $3k in speakers and cables this month). That ended around 5pm when the wife called and said she was trading in her 2k beetle for a 2002 Trailblazer. Hmph, guess tomorrow I'll have to call Tom and order that cool black boomer tube that I've been wanting. Seem only appropriate that new speaks should have a new sub.

So what do you think... Is our hobby too consuming? I spent $$$ this month. Will do so next month. For the better part of 12 hours I messed w/ wires and speakers. Sweat off at least 10pds. I am tired and definatley sore. Didn't see hardly any of my wife...And yet I'm thrilled to death about the new speakers and can't wait for the next improvement. Is this a bad thing??

The beer tastes great and the movie sounds fantastic. Wife's not home w/ the new ride yet and I'm in a blissful massive fatigue as I lay back on the couch and enjoy the days work. For now, IMO, this is a great hobby. There's something to be said for losing onself in a movie (especially if it's done well right in your own home!!)

Cheers to my fellow HTFers,
MM

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Great job, Micheal! But really, man! You can't tell us all of your hard work paying off without telling us which model(s) of PSB speaks you bought, now can you? While we're at it, what receiver? Amp? Sources? Enjoy your gear, sir! Cheers!

DS.

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
most assuredly not a bad thing. it's a good thing, a wonderful thing, a thing to be enjoyed, fussed over, played with,listened to & watched. we are lucky men, arrrr,arrr...

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
FYI,
F:Image 6t
R:Image 3lr
C:Image 9c
SB:Image 10s (still on order)
Sub: Audiosource 10" (being replaced by SVS 25-31pci this week)
TV: Mitsubishi 65" Platinum 65907
Rec: Denon 3802
Pwr/Surge: Monster 3500hts
Dvd: JVC (can't remember model)
Amp for Mains: McIntosh 754
Tape: Kenwood
Cables (spkr): Monster ref 1.4 biwire main, 1.4 center and 12ga for rears; BetterCables 50' for sub
New sub this week then probably a new DVD player (Denon 3800??)
Thanks,
MM
p.s.-It's Monday AM and I'm sore/stiff/tired, and happy.:)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Congrats on the new speakers Michael:emoji_thumbsup:. That is a great post. Nothing finer (well almost nothing) than good beer and home theater:) Enjoy my friend.
Peace Out~:D

Jeff Brink

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
I've got a similar set up and absolutley love it. 4T's in front, 8C for center, 10's on side and 1B's in back. 3802 supplying all the juice as well. The addition of the PCi 25-31 was incredilbe. Actually had mine tuned to 22Hz. (Not in too big a room so never noticed the small loss in spl.) You'll need to stock up on more RedHook, because when the SVS comes, you may never leave the room! :D Enjoy!

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
You're a braver man than I. I also need to move my speaker wire up into the attic, but that is just going to have to wait until it cools down (I'm in Chandler). You're taste in beer matches your taste in HT.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
"Is this a bad thing??
The beer tastes great and the movie sounds fantastic. Wife's not home w/ the new ride yet and I'm in a blissful massive fatigue as I lay back on the couch and enjoy the days work."
I think you answered your own question! ENJOY! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Robb,
Don't know if I'm braver (doubtful), stupid (possible), or just semi-obsessed (very likely). It was very hard work on a very hot day. I completely sweated out two sets of clothes. (yuck) But in the end, it was worth it. IMO, the hobby is just too fun and rewarding. Sometimes though, the $$$ and the time involvement seem large.
However, bonus check came today and will order the SVS tomorrow in the AM. Another week of waiting for UPS ground. Just can't seem to stop this obsession.:)
Plotting the next addition,
MM

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
Just when you think you're finished.....:D If you're like me you're always looking to upgrade. I'm looking for in-ceiling speakers for my rear surrounds and there is no hurry because no matter what I will not get up in my attic during the summer here in Arizona. You must be addicted!! Waiting till it cools down will allow me to make sure I've bought the right surrounds. Enjoy your new speakers and you will love the SV sub.
Mike in Chandler

Users who are viewing this thread