What's new

It's always the little things that matter (3 prong to 2 prong_ (1 Viewer)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Well today I received my SVS 20-39 CS and Samson S700 combo packaged nice and safely. (Though it was missing one of the front rack mount "L" brackets in the box.)

When I set it up all of the speakers plugged into the Denon 3802 began humming like a swarm of bees. Simply removing the RCA connector from the Sub Preout eliminated the hum, but meant the sub wasn't connected at all. However, thanks to some of the 1000 posts that came up in my searches I learned of the "Cheater Plug" theory.

It seems that no matter how much money I have invested in my system, it will not work without the Home Depot 3 prong to 2 prong adapter.(SKU 07847752) I'm pleased to say that this 50 cent item has saved yet another HT from the Samson amp hum issue.

Thanks for the search engine and the previous responses.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Many times when one hooks up multiple devices there ends up being a ground loop problem and you get a 60HZ hum. I hooked up a sub to my rears with its own built in electronic crossover and had the same problem and solution.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Folks, the safety ground is there for a reason. While lifting it will eliminate a ground loop, it is best to track down and solve the problem.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Everett A

Agent
Sorry! :)
How do you track down the source of the hum, and then once you find it, how do you fix it?
I have no electronics background as you can tell..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks