It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia: Season 2

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nicholas Vargo, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    Did anyone watch the two season premiere episodes of "It's Always Sunny..." tonight on FX. I'll admit that this show has grown on me and with "Arrested Development" no longer on the air, this might be the closest thing we ever get to that kind of show (Nothing can replace "Arrested Development" as far as I'm concerned).

Both Charlie Gets Crippled and The Gang Goes Jihad were uproariously funny. In fact, the funniest moment of the hour was when the guys were making the fake terrorist tape. That was pure genius. A close second would be the race between the two friends in the wheelchairs and then having a fist fight in the middle of the mall. That was good stuff.

What did you guys think?

2. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I am enjoying it. It is good to have a show that is not afraid of the PC police.

I am not really sure they needed to pull the "add a new character" stunt. Sure, I like Danny D. but I don't think the show needed him.

They needed to add another good looking female friend for Dee. [​IMG]

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I was kind of worried about DeVito being added, but he was hysterical last night.

Forgot how much I loved the show.

4. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo
    The show is continuing to work very well.

"Dennis and Dee Go On Welfare" - A-

"Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom" - A+

Both episodes were just as funny as last week's two episodes. DeVito fits so well into this group that he has now proved it at this point.

And I have to say it - Anne Archer has never been hotter! I've always liked her, and the scene at the beginning of the second episode where she seduces Mac exudes both the right amount of sexuality as well as hilarity. The show is getting better every week.

5. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

I actually sat there and watched the shows twice in real-time (not TiVoed) last night. I love this show.

Has there been any discussion of a DVD release for season 1? Not many episodes, but I still think they could find a price point that will work.

Brad

6. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I was a big fan of the first season (I think I even started the season 1 thread), but I've only seen the first episode of this season so far and was a bit disappointed. Just as I was afraid of, the Danny Devito character is totally unnecessary and takes away from the other characters. I like Devito, but he would work better as a recurring character every once in awhile, not as a regular cast member.

But oh well...I should be able to catch up on the next 3 episodes this weekend and hopefully they will change my mind.

7. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I first heard of the show because of Danny Devito joining the cast. I saw this thread, skimmed the posts to see the positive reviews, and decided to watch the last two episodes. Really good show!

~T

8. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo
    "Hundred Dollar Baby" was probably my least favorite of the new episodes that have aired this season but it definitely still had its moments and made me laugh quite often. The ending of it is on almost every level just plain wrong, but somewhat funny at the same time.

That's what I love about this show. The things that these people do can still be funny even of they're wrong.

Still...

"Hundred Dollar Baby - B

9. MattJensen

MattJensen Auditioning

I too watched both of these episodes. WOW funny stuff. Not sure the wife got into it. I have it set on the TIVO so I won't miss any.

10. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I still think the show would be better without Danny DeVito. Although his reaction after he knocked out the dude and his daughter was priceless.

11. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I agree. Danny D should only be on sparingly. His in your face character takes away from the core group.

12. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo
    What did you guys think of the newest episode from Thursday?

I thought it was a step back up in the right direction for the show. I love how the waitress is driving Charlie up a wall.

The scene near the end where he was the referee and drunk at the same time was uproarious. That had me laughing out load.

The moment during the end credits also made me laugh as well. That was perfect to watch those guys do community service. The show is a winner. It's perfect

Rating: A

What do you guys think of this week's episode?

13. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I thought this week's was easily the weakest of the season so far, but I do agree...when Charlie was refereeing, it was hilarious. Especially when he was "stuffing" the kids' shots. Pretty much everything Charlie says or does is funny.

14. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    Showing up to an AA meeting with a beer is classic.

Overall, this season is easily on par with last year. Hopefully it will even improve over time.

15. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo
    What did everyone think of "The Gang Exploits a Miracle" from this past Thursday. I just rewatched that one last night and I think that episode gets better with every viewing.

The scene where Charlie really thinks he is God is hysterical, and the competition between him and Dennis was uproarious.

There were many great moments in that episode. Grade: A-

What did everyone else think?

16. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

I agree. Also getting the Catholic Priest to resign added a little punch to the ending, even though it really stretched credulity.

17. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Didn't like the competition thing between Charlie and Dennis, and didn't think it was one of the better episodes. I don't know...the episode seemed too predictable and run-of-the-mill to me.

18. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I didn't care for the "Goes American" episode. I thought it was the weakest of the season.

Still a good show. I love the risks they dare to take with the humor.

19. Lee Jamilkowski

Lee Jamilkowski Stunt Coordinator

I laughed my butt off during the second half of the "Charlie Goes America All Over Everybody's Ass" episode. I couldn't figure out what the heck was with Charlie's little song, though. Hilarious when he came out and started beating people away from the street performance. I'm also kind of surprised (well, not really) that the gun went off in the game of Russian Roulette.

I also just caught up on the season finale, "Dennis and Dee Get a New Dad". Good to see Stephen Collins. And he was pretty much playing Eric Camden there - I really got that feeling as his office desk and the way he sat down and was gesturing in it reminded me of the reverend he plays on 7th Heaven[i/], in his own home office. I'm not sure how I feel about that last revelation, though. I actually feel bad for Bruce. His former lover and his kids with her are really arrogant and cannot see beyond themselves. I would be disgusted, too - although, I think he took that revelation quite well.

20. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    It sucks that there are only 10 episodes this season. I guess being on a lower level network means less money for episodes.

I hope that they will be back with more episodes next season. They should shoot for 13 episodes.