What's new

'It's All Gone Pete Tong' R1 vs. R2 (1 Viewer)

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I just got the R2 version of the wonderful It's All Gone Pete Tong. The aspect ratio is 1.85:1

In theaters and on R1 DVD the AR is definitely 2.35:1

Does anyone know whether or not it's an open-matte transfer on the R2 (along the lines of Star Trek VI and the LD of Ferris Bueller), or if it's been panned & scanned? The film was shot in HD and then transfered to 35mm for theatrical prints.

The fact that during the split-screen sequences it lapses into 2.35:1 gives me a clue that it might be p&s...

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Crap, I bought the same dvd. Oh well, this was my first non-region-1 dvd just to test my dvd player. I'll check with the original too. I rented it first.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I got a chance to compare them. The R2 appears to be open-matte, but still with quite a lot of missing information at the sides of the picture. The R2 version feels very cramped when compared to the R1 2.35:1 version. Definitely NOT what the director had intended.

True fans of the film will want both versions. R1 for the transfer and the hilarious extra features, and the R2 for the commentary and deleted scenes.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
An updated word of warning...

I've just discovered there are 2 R1 versions...

The CANADIAN R1 (Alliance Atlantis - Bilingual cover) is INCORRECTLY framed at 1.85:1. However, it has a different commentary track (with director) and deleted scenes.

The only DVD that has the correct 2.35:1 framing is the USA R1 version (Sony Pictures Home Entertainment).

As I said above, true fans of the film will need multiple versions to have the best framing and the best extras.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
The Canadian and USA covers feature the same art, but the Canadian version has the French title "Quel Delire, Pete Tong" under the main title, and a quote from Chris Knight of 'National Post' at the bottom.

The USA version has neither of these.

On the reverse, the aspect ratios are correct. (ie: the USA version states 2.35:1, whereas the Canadian version states 1.85:1).

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Is there anything of value on the R1 Canadian version that is not on either of the R1 US or R2 version?

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
Mostly because no one has bothered to submit it to us. If you would, I'd gladly add it.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will

As far as I can remember, there is a different commentary track, and possibly some different deleted scenes. Unfortunately, I can't confirm this because I sold the Canadian DVD last year because of the wrong aspect ratio.

Personally, I'm more than happy with the USA R1 version. Correct ratio, nice picture and sound, and some hilarious extras.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member

..heheh..maybe after I collect a few I can compare them and let you know what I find out :)

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will

I got mine from Amazon.com

Just checked, and it's in stock, and priced at $14.99. Whilst not as loaded with extras as the Canadian R1 and the UK R2, it is by far the best version - if only for the aspect ratio :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks