its all about the width

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shane Crowe, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Shane Crowe

Shane Crowe Auditioning

The most constraining dimension in the place where I can put my TV is width. I suspect everyone that has their TV inside a piece of furniture is in the same boat.
    When width is the constraining dimension, the best kind of TV to have would be a 4:3 TV. Doing so would allow the largest widescreen picture and the largest "full screen" picture possible inside that space.
    So I'm shopping for a 36" 4:3 HDTV. What's really got me miffed is that it seems every TV manufacturer stuff speakers on each end of their 4:3 TVs. This doesn't make width-constrained folks like me happy because it takes away from the screen size.
    I've got a low-end 36" TV today that fits with about an inch and a half to spare on each side. Its speakers are on the botton, not the sides, of the unit.
    I've not been able to find a single 36" 4:3 HDTV that will fit in that space, thanks to speakers that are getting put on each end of the TVs. [​IMG]
    So my question is who makes a 4:3 HDTV with no speakers built into the sides of the TV?

2. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Shane,
    I believe you're bucking the tide here. Manufacturers have less and less interest in 4:3 TVs these days, especially HDTV which is widescreen. They know that people are going to be unhappy (to put it mildly) watching HDTV with black bars, so you're going to find fewer and fewer 4:3 HDTV sets in the coming years.
    Since you have a nice big TV now in your existing unit, I think I'd bide my time until HDTV prices drop and you can upgrade the TV and the entertainment center.
    I kinda agree with Ken that the tail is wagging the dog here. [​IMG]
    Jan