It's All About the RAM, Baby!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kraig Lang, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Kraig Lang

Kraig Lang Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm waiting at home for my new HP P4 2.53G PC to show up. I've got an HP P3 1G that I'm gonna cannabalize for the Hard Drive, Video and Sound card, but I'm not sure about the RAM. I've got an HP Athlon with 384Mhz of RAM and the new machine is coming with a single 512 chip. Both machines are RDRAM. Can I take the memory out of my old machine and put it in the new one? I know that there are issues with running Like/Unlike RAM.

What do you think?

Thanks
    Kraig

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Well first off I think you are going to have a MAJOR problem with the new machine because it will not run with just a single RDRAM chip. RDRAM by nature needs to run in Pairs, so if you ordered a single 512 chip you will need to order a second 512 chip. RDRAM also needs to go in pairs that are the same size and preferably for reliability brand as well. In the old machine how did you get the 384mb ram? (2) 128MB RDRAM chips and then (2) 64mb Chips? If so then you could fill memory slots 3+4 with the (2) 128mb chips but you would still need to get another 512 chip.
    About 3 months ago I upgraded my 1.7ghz P4 with a new 2.53 w/ 1Gig of Ram and it screams. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Best of luck,
    KyleS

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

The pain in the butt with RDRAM is that it's very expensive. I have it in my new Dell (512 MB) and am very pleased so far. However, I ordered some RAM for my father in law yesterday, it is PC133 DRAM but it only cost $66.00 for 512MB....and that was from Crucial. Nice price...

4. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I decided to look at how much it would cost for me to upgrade my RAM. $155.00 for 256 MB RDRAM, ouch! 512MB is enough for me right now...

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Andre your prices on the RDRAM seem a little high. I am a reseller(though not on this board) [​IMG] and wouldnt even be marking it up near that much before reselling it. Max around $100. Each 128mb stick run about 46 resale price and that is for Kingston brand RDRAM. The price you are talking about would almost get you (2) 256mb Memory chips giving you an additional 512mb. Check out Mwave or Newegg.com
    KyleS

6. Andrew Walbert

Andrew Walbert Stunt Coordinator

The old machine can't be RDRAM if it has an Athlon, as no chipset was ever produced for the K7 architecture that used the RAMBUS interface. It's probably DDR SDRAM. RDRAM is still painfully expensive compared with PC133 or DDR (aka PC1600/PC2100/PC2700). I remember when a 1MB 70ns 30-pin SIMM cost $100. Ah, those were the days. Wait, no they weren't, things are much better now!

7. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator