It's A Wonderful Life

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottR, Nov 18, 2001.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Even though the DVD of this film is an improvement over previous editions, it does bring up the importance of OAR. The film was of course presented in a 1.37:1 ratio in the theatre. However, the new DVD slightly crops the bottom of the frame, favoring the top half. This results in an alteration of a key plot point. When young Harry Bailey discovers that Mr. Gower has mistakenly placed poison in a patient's prescription, we can't see the label marked "poison" on the bottle. I feel that authoring houses need to pay closer attention to how films are cropped for Home Theatres. Even OAR full frame films can be harmed by bad framing. In this case, it affects the plot, however slight. I wish Lowry could get its hands on this film. It needs a new video/audio restoration.

2. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

By the way, I do realize that all films are cropped in some way for HT and that IAWL will not be perfectly framed, however, if the framing were brought down a bit, we could see the scene in question intact.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Actually, IAWL just needs a little bit of digital scratch removal. The contrast is perfect and there isn't anything severe (like tears, and etc)
    LDI, as you can see, mostly deals with movies that have a LOT of things wrong with the elements (NxNW: color fading, dirt, scratches; Zhivago: color fading and artifacts; Citizen Kane: no o-neg, scratches, possibly splices)
    The DVD could use an SE (I noticed some shimmering...) with more extras and on one side.

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I'd have no problem with 1.37:1 titles slightly letterboxed.

-dave

5. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

6. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    My copy is that way, too. The audio is slightly distorted at that point as well. The rest is first rate.

7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Again, is this a new edition as compared to the one released a couple of years back?

- Steve

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I once compared the 45th Anniversary LaserDisc to the current THX DVD. The Audio on the DVD sounds absolutely terrible compared to the audio on the LD. I found the pictures to be comparable, I preferred the softer picture of the Laser with no banding to the very digital look of the DVD.

9. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

This is a new DVD copyrighted 2001, but I am sure that it is just a new pressing of the previous edition in new packaging.

10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Philip, I actually took that 45th anniversary edition back for a refund because it did not look or sound better than the Criterion edition. And while that is CAV and has three platters, it is worth it for the picture and sound.

Sad, really. You'd think that they would try to treat this movie right on DVD.

- Steve

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

The answer is simple...
    get Criterion to release it on DVD themselves (unlike other of their legacy LD->DVD titles ...Brazil... we wouldn't have to fear the lack of 16x9).
    They could even do PCM sound.
    [pun]It would be a wonderful DVD.[/pun]
    -dave [​IMG]