What's new

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (SPECIAL COLLECTOR'S EDITION) coming October 31 from Paramount! (1 Viewer)

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ricardo
Many e-tailers including amazon are already listing this release for october 31st, however,there's still no cover art or any mention of the special features. Has anyone heard anything?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
You're right, Rick. We'll probably see an official announcement from Paramount next week, no doubt. Way overdue, though much appreciated. 1951 Scrooge needs an optimal new transfer and extras, too.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

I agree. Barry Sandrew, from Legend Films, said that Scrooge is in the works for a new colourized print. Hopefully that means the film itself will be restored and not just re-colourized.

Andy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't Legend Films always offer the restored black and white original in addition to the newly colorized version?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

Yes, they seem to have a good track record for that. I hope we'll see this supposed restoration/colourization by Christmas 2007, with some appropriate bonus material.

Andy

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

While I'm not a fan of colorization, LF has always done an incredible job with not only making the color look realistic, but also tasteful. The sample of a Shirley Temple film on their website is so close to looking like Technicolor from that period. I'm also impressed by their image remastering. Little Shop of Horrors was apparently shot on 16mm, but you can't even tell on their DVD.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
*sigh* I guess I shouldn't admit I've never seen "It's a Wonderful Life"? Does that automatically qualify me for the "Must Get This Disc" category? :)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Paramount would have to pull something pretty spectactular out of their rear in order to get me on board for this release.

Normally, I would jump all over this, but with their recent decisions to virtually drop catalog releases and to continue letting Lion's Gate handle the Republic library, I'm pretty pissed at them. The current release isn't all that bad, so I'll save my money for a company more worthy like WB, Fox, or even Universal (who have finally figured it out).

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
All this anger. I just want a version of IAWL with good video and sound. I don't care what company releases it.

- Steve

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Then why not keep the current version? Personally, I think it's pretty damn good, and it's widely recognized as the best transfer of all the Republic titles on DVD. Hardly a title that's screaming for an upgrade, unlike the other titles that Paramount so careless discarded to the trash bins at Lion's Gate.

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
The Republic release, Silver Screen Classics was very good. How much better can they make it? Great sound and a great print. Nice crisp b&w. Plus it has extras. What else could they do to this film?:confused:

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
They could fix the bad splice when George gets tossed from Nick's. It's not like that on other versions.

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ricardo
There are several parts in the film where some frames are missing. Many jump cuts that have no sense. But iv'e heard that the film pretty much always had many frames missing when seen on TV and video. However, i've also read that the scene where they're tossed from the bar is indeed a bad splice that only appears on the DVD.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
True. Watched it on TV a couple of years ago, waited for that odd splice/jump cut and it wasn't there, was clean.

:)

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ricardo
The artwork for the upcoming Paramount edition of IAWL is already being displayed at amazon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks