What's new

It's a Wonderful Life on Blu-ray 11-3-2009 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have any info on this? Will there be an official HTF review?

I did a search and found nothing on this release. Seems surprising. This could be a terrific HD presentation.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
We're supposed to be getting a review copy, but it's unclear when. It'll probably be very close to street date.

I'm keeping my expectations low, just because the notion of having two entire versions of the film on one Blu-ray concerns me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

I'm keeping my expectations low, just because the notion of having two entire versions of the film on one Blu-ray concerns me.
Thanks, Michael.

Take it for what it's worth...but amazon is listing this as a two-discer. No indication (if that's even true) if the second disc is features only...or might contain the second film with features straddling both discs.

I was just reading elsewhere on the 'net that apparently there are $10 rebate forms for IaWL (for owners of the DVD version) that have been packaged in other Blu-ray releases (Gladiator, Braveheart, IaWL and Forrest Gump).

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Two versions of the film shouldn't be a problem. There's plenty of room for them on a BD-50.

Yes, but we don't know if it's a BD-50. Reliable specs have been hard to come by. As Mike notes, Amazon says it's two discs, but they've been wrong about that sort of thing before. (Happily, I just checked DVD Empire, and they now say 2 discs as well.)

All I said was that I'm concerned, nothing more. I'll reserve judgment until I get the review copy.

As long as they encode properly, and get rid of the annoying audio pops from the SD, then this will be beautiful.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong /forum/thread/294407/it-s-a-wonderful-life-on-blu-ray-11-3-2009#post_3622364

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
I preordered the Blu-ray discs from the US (Paramount) and the UK (Universal) because the British one have different bonus materials:

• Theatrical trailer
  • Digitally remastered black and white original
  • Colourised version
  • Picture in Picture Comparison
  • Trivia Tracker
It's one of my all time favorites.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Christian: The only thing I know about the US release is that it is supposed to have both the original B&W version along with the evil colorized version.

What can you tell us about the breakdown of the differences in bonus features between the two releases?

The US release will probably have the introduction by Frank Capra, Jr., the Making of hosted by Tom Bosley, the colorized version, and the theatrical trailer.

dbailey100

Agent
Real Name
David
I went ahead and pre-ordered this BD. I don't remember ever watching this film, but I've heard (and read) good things 'bout it. I plan to pick it up on release day, but won't be able to watch it until a week or so later.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
From the looks of your forum ID, David...you just might be a long lost relative of the film's main character!

I envy you the event of enjoying this film for the first time. It is a perfect slice of Frank Capra's americana pie. You won't be disappointed. It's a great story, very well told.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon ">[/url]

From the looks of your forum ID, David...you just might be a long lost relative of the film's main character!

I love this film so much. The first 2/3 is a mixture of comedy and drama...then it takes a turn into eerie territory, ala The Twilight Zone...a masterpiece!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Anyone ever read Dvd Savant's take on a possibility that the version we've seen all these years was a re-cut version.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s55wonderful.html

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Never had Tony. Very interesting. A fun read.

It almost sounds like the author believes there was a third shooter over on the grassy knoll.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I anxiously await a review on this disc. I fear it may just be an up-conversion of the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks