It's a Wonderful Life DVD(s)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lanny_B, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

I'm thinking of getting this one.

The DVD I've seen in stores lately says Director's Cut, but does it have both or the DC only? I'm always a little wary to just buy a Director's Cut without seeing it.

On that note, has anybody seen the DC? Any notable differences?

2. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

It is not a director's cut, but rather the original, uncut theatrical version. In the 1980's the film went into the public domain and appeared in various versions on video, including edited and colorized versions. The statement on the box is to make sure the consumer knows that this is the legit version of the film.

3. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

Actually, the theatrical version IS the director's cut...a director's cut in the sense that it is the original black-and-white version the way Capra had always intended. And since Republic/Paramount now lays claim to the film, what you now see on video is legit.

4. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

5. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    I recall reading about It's A Wonderful Life and the rights issues when the remastered Republic LD came out, way back in the dim mists of time. If I'm remembering right, whoever it was that were trying to recover the rights did so by buying up rights to the music in the film, so that even if the film itself were public domain there would be no way to release it without re-recording the audio.

I could be wrong...it was a while ago.

6. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

For the record, Republic also owns the original film negative, the original screenplay and the original story that was the basis for "Wonderful Life" ("The Greatest Gift").