What's new

It's a Wonderful Life DVD(s) (1 Viewer)

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I'm thinking of getting this one.

The DVD I've seen in stores lately says Director's Cut, but does it have both or the DC only? I'm always a little wary to just buy a Director's Cut without seeing it.

On that note, has anybody seen the DC? Any notable differences?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
It is not a director's cut, but rather the original, uncut theatrical version. In the 1980's the film went into the public domain and appeared in various versions on video, including edited and colorized versions. The statement on the box is to make sure the consumer knows that this is the legit version of the film.

Jo_C

Second Unit
Actually, the theatrical version IS the director's cut...a director's cut in the sense that it is the original black-and-white version the way Capra had always intended. And since Republic/Paramount now lays claim to the film, what you now see on video is legit.

Terry H

Second Unit
It is not a director's cut, but rather the original, uncut theatrical version. In the 1980's the film went into the public domain and appeared in various versions on video, including edited and colorized versions. The statement on the box is to make sure the consumer knows that this is the legit version of the film.
Now I'm curious. I thought once something entered the public domain it remained there forever. Exactly how does this work?

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I recall reading about It's A Wonderful Life and the rights issues when the remastered Republic LD came out, way back in the dim mists of time. If I'm remembering right, whoever it was that were trying to recover the rights did so by buying up rights to the music in the film, so that even if the film itself were public domain there would be no way to release it without re-recording the audio.

I could be wrong...it was a while ago.

Jo_C

Second Unit
For the record, Republic also owns the original film negative, the original screenplay and the original story that was the basis for "Wonderful Life" ("The Greatest Gift").

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks