It's A Wonderful Life - any DVD currently available?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    This Holiday classic has been around the DVD circuit and the definitive version was to have been the crystal clear direct from original negative THX certified Republic Pictures version. That studio was part of Artisan which in turn is now part of Lion's Gate.

I have seen a Universal pictures version too but don't see any available right now?

Is Lion's Gate going to re-release the Republic version? Is the Universal version the same THX certified version? Or what gives? Time is running out!

Eric

2. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    The Republic/Artisan disc is still easy to find. Best Buy had about 100 copies on the shelf three days ago. I've also spotted them recently at Borders, Circuit City and Wal Mart.

3. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    Amazon doesn't seem to show any, tried DVDSoon in Canada and says [On Order] when I placed one but then again "everything" I ordered from them the past couple of times has said that... what gives with them?

4. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    I see two Republic/Artisan versions... one as a Special Edition (which is what I am after) and one that just seems to be a regular version. What are the differences?

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Don't pay too much for the Republic/Artisan DVD, though.

Paramount is getting the Republic catalog video rights next year, so they can do a better DVD... plus, they seem to have done a full restoration on the film already.

6. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

The Special Edition DVD that previously came out and the DVD that is currently available (the Republic reissue under Artisan) are one and the same as far as content.

The reason you don't see Lion's Gate's name is that what you now see is overstock from the Artisan run. As far as I know, there has not yet been Lion's Gate repackaging.

Also, there was supposed to be a more definitive "Ultimate Edition" of the film with more extras. This was planned as far back as three years. But, as you can tell, no new UE ever came out. And it never will, at least under Lion's Gate.

Next fall, Paramount takes total control of the Republic library's video rights (Paramount, like Republic, is owned by Viacom), so it is quite possible you may see a more definitive edition as soon as next year, or maybe even 2006, since it will then be the 60th Anniversary of the film's original release.