What's new

It's a "space thing"...need help. (1 Viewer)

CraigJ

Auditioning
I live in a smallish 1 bedroom in Manhattan (for another 16 months) and am questioning an upgrade to different speakers. I currently have B&W 601s3 and run them with the Outlaw 1050 amp and AP Oval 9 cable. I can only accomodate about 1-1.5 feet from the back of the cabinet to a wall, but side space is not so much an issue.

I started looking at different speakers that take up less space (sub/sat) but now I'm just obsessed with finding that classic speaker that I will enjoy for years...space is still an issue but less of a priority. Music is my passion but I'd like a good foundation for HT. I am looking at Quad 11L, Axiom, Spendor s3/5, M&K K-7, Rocket, Energy Encore and KEF-2005. Maybe I just stick with B&W and add a sub and center?

Thoughts?
Thanks.

Gregg_M

Stunt Coordinator
Craig,

I just went through the same thing. I ended up with the Spendor s3/5's for front, rears and a matching center speaker. This is all hooked up to new Rotel 1066 and 1075. They are not an efficient speaker, but with its sealed box, the sound and sound stage is fantastic, even when close too the back wall. I do have a cheap velo sub that will be replaced. Check out the Spendors, I certainly love mine. For what it is worth, I had acoustic reasearch mains with the powered sub and the spendors sound better with both music and Home Theater.

Gregg

Gregg_M

Stunt Coordinator
Craig,

Spendor has 2 styles of loud speakers. I am using the center channel that goes with their "home theater" packages. The drivers are the same as the s3/5 and the cherry woodwork is an exact match for my speakers. It is ported in the rear which I plugged. The front Grill is cut a bit different though. Model number is SC3. If you have any other questions just ask.

Gregg

Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread