What's new

Its a sad day......when one of your favs break up (1 Viewer)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I know many of you do not know of The Murder City Devils, but they were a band that I just loved. After 5 years and 4 GREAT albums they are calling it quits. Atleast they are going to continue their fall tour, although minus a member. There seemed to be something fishy in the air when their album which was too be an LP was released as an EP with 6 songs, and only 5 of those were new. The lead guitar player is moving on to his other project, Pretty Girls Make Graves. And the rest of the band is going to try and do something together which is great, as hopefully they will keep that MCD sound. If you want to check out more about The Murder City Devils, check their website www.murdercity.com
Ok I shall now go back to listening to In Name and Blood, one of the greatest albums ever made.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hear one of your favs is gone. That always hurts in an almost personal way. As if they forgot to get your opinion on the topic. :)
I'm still reeling over the break-up of the Pixies almost 10 years after the fact!

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Camp,
Didn't the Pixies do the song at the end of the movie Fight Club? Or is it a different group?
------------------
Horror AND non-horror fans unite!
jasvparbanner2.jpg

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
The Pixies' "Where Is My Mind" (from 1988's superlative Surfer Rosa) is at the end of Fight Club.
I liked a couple of the Murder City Devils' songs, but while I wasn't a huge fan, I sympathize with your plight. My favorite band, The Afghan Whigs, officially threw in the towel in February after being dicked around by both Elektra and Columbia Records. I'd seen 'em so many times I lost count, but they put on the best live show I'd seen in years. They're all still pals and hopefully they'll still do something in the future.
As for the Pixies, I knew the writing was on the wall when I learned that Kim Deal and Black Francis had completely stopped talking to one another on their last tour. Apparently, Ms. Deal is still persona non grata to the three other former band members.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Mark,
When the Whigs broke up, that was a sad, sad, sad day. I love the Whigs, me and my friends are all big Whigs fans and maybe someday they will get back together. What do you think of the Twilight Singers? I think they are alright, but its just not the Whigs, you know.
To all,
The Pixies, ahhhh thats a band that I just love. Its too bad that Black and Deal are carrying their grudge so hard, it would be great to see The Pixies back together. I got a chance to see Black on tour a couple years ago and he was fantastic, though I felt so much missing without the rest of the band there.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I saw Frank Black open for TMBG in the period right after the break-up of the Pixies. He was totally alone on stage. Just him and his guitar. He played nothing but Pixies songs. It was very cool but kind of sad at the same time.
The Afghan Whigs were a cool band. I actually didn't know they had called it quits. That's too bad.
This is a depressing thread :)

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I know how you feel, I can still remember my sadness and surprise when I stumbled upon an Australian music site announcing Hunters and Collectors had quit and released their last album, a live CD of their farewell tour
frown.gif
------------------
/Mikael
No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

Darren H

Second Unit
I'm still in mourning for Sunny Day Real Estate, who broke up yet again a couple months ago.

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know anything about the Seattle band TchKung? I was fortunate enough to catch two absolutely incredible shows when they came up to Anchorage a few years back, but now I'm hearing rumors that they may be no more, too...?
------------------
Woody Hanscom
Link Removed

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Kelley,
I feel the same way you do about the Twilight Singers. It's great mood music, but it's just not the Whigs. I ran into Greg Dulli at a show by Cincinnati's Greenhornes here in LA and chatted him up for about a half hour; he was surprisingly nice and gracious. Apparently the guys are all getting older and John Curley just had his first kid so they decided to quit while they were ahead. Fortunately, there's no bad blood and Greg's still making music (and co-owning an old Rampart Division cop bar in Echo Park). Fortunately, bands like Guided By Voices still soldier on, despite line-up change after line-up change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks