It's A Mad, Mad, World

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeremySt, Nov 28, 2001.

1. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I just got my DVD of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, and it did not have a linear notes insert. Did anyone else get one? Does it not have one? Just wondering. Holy cow, that's a great looking DVD.

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

No, it does not have an insert. You might want to do a search, there was a very informative post about this DVD when it was first released.

3. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    None of the Mad World DVD's had an insert, so rest easy. For $14.99 on sale, this release is a great bargain. While some complain that this is not the complete roadshow version, it is nonetheless the best the film has ever looked or sounded.[​IMG]

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

For readers considering this purchase, I will state the opposing point of view once, and then bow out so as not to hijack this thread, but in the opinion of many, many, many lovers of this film (though not all) this is most certainly NOT the best this film has ever looked, since it is for all intents and purposes missing a lot of what is on the laser disc. It may be a beautiful looking dvd of part of this film, but some pan & scan dvds are beautiful looking too. Just want to give the opposing point of view a fair shake.

5. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    BTW, all of the Laserdisc footage (which looked pretty uneven when inserted into the LD version, which is incomplete also) is included on this DVD in the supplements.
    Add to that an Anamorphic transfer, DD5.1 sound and you indeed do have the best looking and sounding verson of this film available at this time. Miles ahead of the uneven, incomplete LD version.
    We all know that a complete roadshow version of the film would be great, but that may never happen. So in the meantime, enjoy this great DVD.[​IMG]
    P.S Jeremy, I also suggest performing a search on Mad World. There were a few threads recently that gave both views of this DVD release that you may want to read.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    MGM screwed up the credits.

The background is SUPPOSED to change colors throughout the credits, but MGM has now made all of them red.

You can see color shifts where the color used to be.

Also, no UA logo or overture. I'm just going to have to cherish my SE VHS tape until MGM gets this one right.

7. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    To Patrick: I'm going back to 1964 here, but the credits on the DVD are exactly the same as they were in the theater. The VHS version had lots of color changes during the overture (title song) - maybe that's what you're thinking of? Also, the film never had a UA logo - no American UA films did in the early 1960's. The first title card read "Stanley Kramer Presents a United Artists Release" just like it does on the DVD.

--Bill

8. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

I got mine for $8.99 at Fry's this past weekend. MGM didn't do the disc 100% right, but it'll have to do until the super SE.

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Martin Hart's website shows the difference between the original credits and the altered version on the DVD.

I wouldn't be surprised if MGM simply used a red-fade Eastmancolor reel for the credits and used original IB Tech reels for the rest of the film.

There HAD to be a UA logo. On the "A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum" print, there's a hexagon UA logo. That's only a few years AFTER Mad World and Mad World is NOT an MGM movie like the DVD makes it look like to be.

The reel obviously is faded or altered since the white parts of the credits are tan instead of white like they're supposed to be.

10. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    There were no UA logos used in 1963. The 16mm and 35mm original prints I've screened - with an intact leader and overture section - did not have a logo.

11. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    Patrick, you're right about the hexagonal UA logo, but that was only used on British productions (the first time I saw it was on A HARD DAY'S NIGHT). None of the American UA films from that time, like THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE MIRACLE WORKER, THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, etc., had the logo attached.

--Bill

12. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    I goofed - I shouldn't depend on 37-year-old memories after all. I just checked out the 1990 VHS release and the credits indeed feature the color changes, like Patrick said. I'm 100% sure about the absence of the UA logo, though.

--Bill

13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I need not say this, but....

I am going to hold out for as long as it

takes until MGM does a Special Edition of

this film.

I know people are interested in doing it if

MGM can fund it -- and I also know it may never

happen.

I own the laserdisc, and for me, it is the best

version of this movie. It is the closest

to the roadshow version that is available.

I see the DVD in the stores all the time. Saw

it the other day for about $14. Still, I just

can't give in and buy something that cannot compare

to the incredible laserdisc edition released years

ago.

Now that I hear there are other issues regarding

changes made to the DVD credits, I am even more

convinced that I should wait.