What's new

It's a mad mad mad mad world (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
Some where on the HT forum here a few months back was a ''link'' to the night of "kickoff of The Last 70mm Film Festival in Beverly Hills, Calif.' from last July 2012 ..,, and there was a out 5 or six videos of that night .. the first was Billy Crystal on stage talking about him and his brother going to this movie numerous times back in 1963 .. but I believe there was also a video of Johnathon Winters speaking as well that night .. anyone have that Link??

Chris Coombs

Auditioning
I'm confused. Does a restored print of IAMMMMW exist? I have seen recent sites advertizing screenings of a restored 70mm version running 197 min. The Film Society Lincoln Center showed it on Saturday, December 22, 2:00pm and Friday, December 28, 5:15pm 2012.

http://www.filmlinc.com/press/entry/fslc-announces-see-it-in-70mm-dec-21-to-jan11

If this is the case, and the print DOES exist, then why hasn't someone slapped it on a bluray? I thought the restoration was the hard (and expensive) part. But if it's already done, why hasnt it been released on home video?

(I hope I havent missed a post explaining this earlier)

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
Chris Coombs said:
I'm confused. Does a restored print of IAMMMMW exist? I have seen recent sites advertizing screenings of a restored 70mm version running 197 min. The Film Society Lincoln Center showed it on Saturday, December 22, 2:00pm and Friday, December 28, 5:15pm 2012.

http://www.filmlinc.com/press/entry/fslc-announces-see-it-in-70mm-dec-21-to-jan11

If this is the case, and the print DOES exist, then why hasn't someone slapped it on a bluray? I thought the restoration was the hard (and expensive) part. But if it's already done, why hasnt it been released on home video?

(I hope I havent missed a post explaining this earlier)
A friend of mine attended the Lincoln Center show and said the presentation was pretty bad, so I don't think it was a restored print. I saw another film there earlier in the day ("Lord Jim", I think) and while the 70mm print was in "okay" shape, the presentation was also pretty bad, so I wasn't in the mood to stay for IAMMMMW. That theatre had a reputation for being good, but the sound was absolutely terrible and the screen was way too small for 70mm presentation. For a Cinerama presentation, even single-projector Cinerama, which IAMMMMW was, it's absurdly small and nothing like the original presentation, which was completely enveloping.

Even if it were a new print, that's no guarantee of anything. I saw a 70mm print of "The Master" at the Ziegfeld in the second week of the run and the print had dirt from end to end. Even though I've been begging for a revival of 70mm, after I saw that presentation, I realized it's all over for film. A standard digital presentation actually would have been better, even though I'm really sad to be saying that.

Conventional wisdom states that the police calls during the intermission of the original run of IAMMMMW were only done for the first few showings. But I'm 90% sure I heard it with the police calls (I seem to remember not wanting to go into the lobby because of it) and while I saw it in its original presentation at the Warner Cinerama, I doubt I saw it very early in the run.

So what I have to wonder is that even if they did some edits after the opening, is whether that theatre kept and ran the original longer print? Guess we'll never know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks