Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The "wheelchair for the little old lady who raised me" was in the original roadshow and survives.
Originally Posted by Stefan Andersson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The links take you to brief info re: screenplay, soundtrack, performers in the police calls audio segment, bit parts more or less omitted from the shorter version, and perhaps most interesting, a scripted scene (Lennie Pike´s monologue about using the money to buy a motorized wheelchair for his landlady) apparently never intended to make the final cut. It´s on the laserdisc.

TomWS

Auditioning
Being an old guy, I was lucky enough to see Mad4, Grand Prix and 2001 in Chattanooga at the Brainerd Cinerama. They had the huge screen to show each one properly. I forgot how big it was, but it was huge.

I don't remember hearing the police radio stuff during intermission, but that was 40 years ago. Lots of dead brain cells since then.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Originally Posted by TomWS /forum/thread/275427/it-s-a-mad-mad-mad-mad-world#post_3642135
Being an old guy, I was lucky enough to see Mad4, Grand Prix and 2001 in Chattanooga at the Brainerd Cinerama. They had the huge screen to show each one properly. I forgot how big it was, but it was huge.
I don't remember hearing the police radio stuff during intermission, but that was 40 years ago. Lots of dead brain cells since then.
The Brainerd Cinerama screen was 75 by 26 feet - http://cineramahistory.com/brainerd.htm

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
According to GAC, Arnold Stang died around Dec22.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/arts/television/22stang.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&hpw=&adxnnlx=1261483064-LadVe9etNmsU0TobzUGcFQ

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Originally Posted by TomWS /forum/thread/275427/it-s-a-mad-mad-mad-mad-world#post_3644356
Thanks, Roland. Seemed much bigger.
75 by 26 feet is big. Our local Imax screen in Manchester, CT is only 40 by 20 and it fills the front wall top to bottom and side to side. The average Imax screen is 72 feet wide.

B

BAXTER001

See that little boy fishin' on the river
If I could just be like him
I'd close my eyes and let the mad world go by
If only I could be like him
I'd close my eyes and let the mad world go by
If only I could be like him

mgurd2498

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Just watched the most recent DVD release of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (the 161m I believe). Is there any new news on the restoration of this great epic?

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
This podcast comparing the original to a relatively recent Hindi ripoff is utterly fascinating:

http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2009_12_24.html#018243

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Originally Posted by mgurd2498 /forum/thread/275427/it-s-a-mad-mad-mad-mad-world#post_3657668
Just watched the most recent DVD release of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (the 161m I believe). Is there any new news on the restoration of this great epic?
What little news we hear isn't really encouraging. There was some talk that the restoration efforts for Alamo were leading up to Mad but I haven't seen anything since then.
Sam

mgurd2498

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I've read somewhere recently that Robert Harris will likely finish the restoration of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World as soon as he's finished with the current restoration of The Alamo, however I don't recall where I read this...

A question for Mr. Harris, If I may- What is the status of the restoration of The Alamo? What are the plans once The Alamo is finished?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Preservation has been done on the original 6 track audio of the short version. Still short 1.3 million. Ron is checking his pockets.
Originally Posted by mgurd2498 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read somewhere recently that Robert Harris will likely finish the restoration of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World as soon as he's finished with the current restoration of The Alamo, however I don't recall where I read this...
A question for Mr. Harris, If I may- What is the status of the restoration of The Alamo? What are the plans once The Alamo is finished?

Jo_C

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /forum/thread/275427/it-s-a-mad-mad-mad-mad-world#post_3660307

Preservation has been done on the original 6 track audio of the short version. Still short 1.3 million. Ron is checking his pockets.
Well, considering the state MGM/UA is in right now, it is quite possible the remaining 1.3 million will be raised by someone...maybe Scorcese's FilmFoundation, or UA majority holder Tom Cruise. But time is of the essence. By the end of this year, the roadshow Alamo could go the way of the dodo.

Any further info on Mad World's disarraied elements let us know. There is someone out there that does podcasts on Mad World that keeps tab on any new info.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Perhaps Mr. Harris can answer my question; knowing that most material from the roadshow version has been found, and I still hope for a BluRay someday, is this material being stored and cared for so it can still be usable in the future?

The HD cable channel MGMHD is premiering their High Def version, which is the standard release version this April 1. I heard this was done from the 65mm elements, but knowing MGMHD, they won't have the Overture, Intermission or Exit music and I think they started running commercials, but only one set per hour. I look forward to seeing how it looks.

Its a shame. I would think $1M to restore this film is nothing. I would think DVD & Blu Ray sales & TV SALES would make this a worth while investment

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
Originally Posted by John Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif">
Perhaps Mr. Harris can answer my question; knowing that most material from the roadshow version has been found, and I still hope for a BluRay someday, is this material being stored and cared for so it can still be usable in the future?
The HD cable channel MGMHD is premiering their High Def version, which is the standard release version this April 1. I heard this was done from the 65mm elements, but knowing MGMHD, they won't have the Overture, Intermission or Exit music and I think they started running commercials, but only one set per hour. I look forward to seeing how it looks.
I wonder if they're going to get the title and end color right (as opposed to the DVD) As a projectionist that ran Mad World litterally thousands of times years ago, the screen turns YELLOW and says "the end" in small white letters. The DVDs have some strange redish color. They couldn't even get that right.

mike--

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched this on MGMHD this evening , and it looks stunning!!!! and the proper colors are now showing on the title sequence,along with the Overture and Exit Music! Unfortunately, it is the 161 minute version, just with the ladder mentioned elements added to it. Still, it is much better then the current DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks