What's new

IT's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World Restoration (1 Viewer)

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
Joe Lugoff said:
Yeah, it has to be the even split, because 8 people on the scene and 8 for each person in a vehicle really says the same thing.
$350,000 divided by 17 comes to $20,588.23529 ... If after handing out the shares there have been a quarter left over, you just KNOW this bunch would have fought over who gets the extra quarter!
Well initially the split was, as Ding Bell described it "$87,000 - 500 Bucks.," which would have meant $350,000 divided by the four vehicles. But Buddy Hackett didn't want to have to split his 'quarter' share as there were more than two in the other vehicles.. Of which then the Dentist (Melville) devised the scheme of equal shares for everyone... .
But I don't dispute that all this arguing and scheming is Grand fun.. It was the 'extra little (new) scene thrown in at the end, where they are all screaming at each that I didn't necessarily care for.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
If MGM is not interested in restoring this film, I wonder if they would consider liscencing it out to Criterion. I'm sure they would love to get thier hands on it, assuming that they could come up with the necessary funds to do the restoration.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Tony S wrote:
If MGM is not interested in restoring this film, I wonder if they would consider liscencing it out to Criterion. I'm sure they would love to get thier hands on it, assuming that they could come up with the necessary funds to do the restoration.
Criterion don't they "only" handle Universal and foreign films?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
darkrock17 said:
handle Universal and foreign films?
Not at all. The Criterion library includes titles licensed from all sorts of sources, such as Fox, Paramount, and Disney. As for MGM, they still have an ongoing relationship, as Criterion has licensed them supplementary content originally issued on laserdisc (e.g., commentary track for Raging Bull).
Damin

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
darkrock17 said:
handle Universal and foreign films?
No, Criterion releases films (English language films even!) from several major studios including Paramount, Disney, Universal and Fox. During the LaserDisc days, Criterion released quite a few MGM titles (2001, North By Northwest, and Raging Bull to name but a few) but, AFAIK, they haven't handled any of MGM's titles on DVD.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Damin J Toell said:
Not at all. The Criterion library includes titles licensed from all sorts of sources, such as Fox, Paramount, and Disney.
Great minds think alike: you beat me to my post. :D

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I thought WB released North By Northwest?, even though it's an MGM picture.

How do we convince MGM or whoever we want a restored version of this film as well as a new dvd edition as well?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
WB owns the pre-1986 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer films via Turner. MGM, the studio today, owns the United Artists library (and a lot of other libraries like select Polygram, Nelson, Orion, AIP, Sherwood, Goldwyn, and DEG - along with licenses from StudioCanal and Granada for some films). Mad World is a UA title, so MGM controls it right now.
Also, Criterion is starting to work with MGM on some releases. House of Games was licensed from them and there's supposed to be more in the works.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Shipping to the US from amazon.ca is $10 which almost doubles the cost. If anyone buys this version of the film please comment on length. With shipping it costs too much to buy without knowing. The packaging looks like it came from one of the UA anniversary box sets. I have heard no comments that the film in that set was a longer version.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The film is 161 minutes on the dvd. The extra scenes are about 31 minutes. Add them together and you get 192 minutes.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
Yes but are the extra 31 minutes by themeselves in the extras, or are they threaded into the movie just as the 3 disk laser box set of 1991 was ????

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
widescreenforever said:
Yes but are the extra 31 minutes by themeselves in the extras, or are they threaded into the movie just as the 3 disk laser box set of 1991 was ????
I just checked with a seller on Amazon.ca and its 161 minutes with no extras.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Which means this is a reissue of the previous reissue, which tossed the 2nd side of extras, which is where the 31 minutes of extra footage resided.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I am not sure of the details involved, but the thread on Baraka (on BD) over at AVS there is mention of that company ( Fotokem ) doing work on The Bible and It's A Mad,Mad,Mad,Mad World. Maybe someone here could find out exactly what they are doing? Sounds interesting.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It isn't possible to give a direct link to the AVS from the HTF -- you can't get there from here! -- but here's the specific page where "Mad World" is first mentioned in the thread on "Baraka" (scroll down to Message #72):
MPI to bring Ron Fricke's "Baraka" to Blu-ray on October 28 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
EDIT: OK, now I'm good and confused. When I tried to do that direct link myself, a message came up saying, due to some feud between the sites, direct links to AVS aren't allowed! And now here it came up on its own, automatically! I don't get it! :crazy: Whatever. End EDIT
He says they're working on a "restoration" of "Mad World," but I'm afraid it isn't the restoration we've all been hoping for. :frowning:
Of course, I certainly hope I'm wrong. A "Mad World" fully restored to its November, 1963 original cut is my Number One Most Wanted Thing (in the category of Movies and DVDs, I mean.)
I hope I live long enough to see it, but they better hurry; I haven't been feeling very well lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks