What's new

IT's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World Restoration (1 Viewer)

TravisD

Agent
Real Name
Travis D
I just recaptured it off TCM,and considering all the crap about it not being "worth it" from the studios....
Lemmie just quote a line that's missing from the dvd version from Winters(Who seemed the most affected by the shorter cut)....
"Just because your stupid,.....in a democracy......your still supposed to get an equal share"
I did a side by side viewing in a video editor and man the longer version seems to have been the one I originally saw in the 80's-90's.....
Better or worse,.....we need a really good remaster of both cuts,....in HD.
Frank Tallman's best stunts deserve it,....the good comedians that litter this film deserve it,....and Mr. Kramer(rest in peace) deserves it.
Even the old bag deserves it......
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Actually, as crazy as this sounds, a sequel (no matter how bad
it would be) is in our best interests.
It would draw attention to the original film and another DVD release.
Has anybody ever thrown a monetary amount out there as how
much it would cost to get a restoration done? Perhaps this is
money that can be raised through the Internet and its fan base.
You know, create a website to explain the facts about this film
and hope that people donate. Perhaps MGM will contribute
whatever we come up short on.
I also have another idea. I'm going to try and contact someone
in the Industry Press to write a story on our cause in hopes of
generating some "inside buzz" on this title. Not sure there would
be an interest in a story, but hey, it could be a slow news week.
If you guys have any other ideas as to how we can bring attention
to this matter and/or raise money, feel free to contribute.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
If you decide to do a website about the film, I will support it as much as I can.

you can use my DVD petition as well to help get things going.

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
Ron E is absolutely right and that is exactly what I am hoping for. A sequel is probably the best (and maybe the only) thing to generate some interest (especially at MGM) in the original. There are special edition DVDs out there that might not have happened if it were not for a sequel / remake.

"The Poseidon Adventure" for example.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
A sequel for It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World could see MGM looking in to release a special edition DVD to promote the sequel, but this does have a down side to this, in the past few so called "Special Editions" or "Collector's Editions", have been anything what their titles say. MGM has thrown together only a few really well made SE and CE, but the rest has been nothing but quick little fluff pieces and thats it. With a movie such as It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World deserves a well made Collector's Edition on a 3 Disc set.

DanMel

Second Unit
To demonstrate just how fluff their anniversary editions really are, I just purchased the 35th anniversary edition of Pride of the Yankees for a Christmas present to a friend as I already own the the 2003 release. I have read that the transfer was the exact same for the 2007 version as the earlier release but was not expecting what I got. I assumed that they would at least take the time to update the art work in the dvd case to at least signify that it was the 35th anniversary. However, to my shock the dvd came with a slip cover. The slip cover had the special anniversary edition artwork but when I removed this and the inside unopened sealed dvd box was the exactly the same as the 2003 release. In fact it was the 2003 release. I would be very weary on any upcoming anniversary editions to It's A Mad Mad Mad World. MGM to their credit has been releasing a great many classic movies including 8 on Gary Cooper this year but they are the worst company on the face of the planet for releasing anything other than a barebones unrestored transfer of any of their classic films. As long as they own It's a Mad Mad mad world, it will never get a special edition release that it deserves. So don't get your hopes up on any future special anniversary editons to IAMMW as it just might be only the slip cover that get's updated.

mike--

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe?...................since IAMMMMW is a United Artist's film release, then this quote from a press release thread on The Apartment might spark a

restoration of the film......"Part of the esteemed United Artists library, The Apartment Collector’s Edition DVD is being released as part of an 18-month global celebration leading up to the 90th anniversary of the studio in 2009 that honors the films, directors, actors and music that represent United Artists’ rich filmmaking heritage."

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
DanMel said:
To demonstrate just how fluff their anniversary editions really are, I just purchased the 35th anniversary edition of Pride of the Yankees for a Christmas present to a friend as I already own the the 2003 release. I have read that the transfer was the exact same for the 2007 version as the earlier release but was not expecting what I got. I assumed that they would at least take the time to update the art work in the dvd case to at least signify that it was the 35th anniversary. However, to my shock the dvd came with a slip cover. The slip cover had the special anniversary edition artwork but when I removed this and the inside unopened sealed dvd box was the exactly the same as the 2003 release. In fact it was the 2003 release.
That is remarkable. What a cynical way to treat the DVD buying public. I suppose the MGM marketing guys sat around and said "How can we sell more copies of this DVD. I know! We'll stick it in a slipcase with the words Anniversary Edition. That will get more people buying it as well as the suckers who bought it first time around".

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Douglas R
That is remarkable. What a cynical way to treat the DVD buying public. I suppose the MGM marketing guys sat around and said "How can we sell more copies of this DVD. I know! We'll stick it in a slipcase with the words Anniversary Edition. That will get more people buying it as well as the suckers who bought it first time around".
I bet thats what MGM is thinking about, except we would be smart enough to know what is "Anniversary" and whats not.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Ronald Epstein said:
Has anybody ever thrown a monetary amount out there as how
much it would cost to get a restoration done? Perhaps this is
money that can be raised through the Internet and its fan base.
You know, create a website to explain the facts about this film
and hope that people donate. Perhaps MGM will contribute
whatever we come up short on.
I'd swear RAH threw a ballpark figure out in that original article you did many moons ago.
I'd wholeheartedly support a website or something to that effect.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
so that might be a bit much than 2.5 mil, but wouldn't $250,000,000 be worth it for a film like It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World? Anyone movie in general?

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
mike-- said:
Maybe?...................since IAMMMMW is a United Artist's film release, then this quote from a press release thread on The Apartment might spark a
restoration of the film......"Part of the esteemed United Artists library, The Apartment Collector’s Edition DVD is being released as part of an 18-month global celebration leading up to the 90th anniversary of the studio in 2009 that honors the films, directors, actors and music that represent United Artists’ rich filmmaking heritage."
Perhaps this is what Ron is referring to ...

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
mike-- said:
There is a UA 90th Anniversary Prestige Collection (90 Titles) dvd collection for only $608.99 on Amazon.com. Mad World is included in the list but, they are all old releases probably.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
RolandL
There is a UA 90th Anniversary (90 Titles) dvd collection for only $608.99 on Amazon.com. Mad World is included in the list but, they are all old releases probably.
I've seen this "Prestige Collection" and it does look really pretty and is a nice edition to any DVD Collector, but all films included in their collection, probably have no features included on the disc.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
RolandL wrote:
There is a UA 90th Anniversary (90 Titles) dvd collection for only $608.99 on Amazon.com. Mad World is included in the list but, they are all old releases probably.
Sure enough, The Prestige Collection is just recycled pervious releases, and It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is just one disc.
Cool Stuff: The Biggest DVD Box Set Of All Time | /Film
This site has a breakdown of the whole collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks