What's new

IT's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World Restoration (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
widescreenforever said:
Ah, you must watched TCM on Saturday,, as I did too, and was very very surprised to see that they ran the 'Laser disc ' restored version., Overture/intermission/entre act and Exit music as well as the multitude of 'film snippets' that were in most part a big disappointment, The final edit (161 min) by Kramer who took those scenes out did so because I believe they just didn't work. Plus the deleted scenes were a bit darker that the regular film was., as the 'processing' was not done in the same realm as the edited 161 min film was....
...to be fair, I don't believe Kramer took those scenes out per se. Besides not editorially matching the real roadshow version, the extended laserdisc version uses a lot of B-roll footage, which means that it is not even using what Kramer thought were the best takes.
Regards,

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
Those B roll footage, was that the film stock they found in an old warehouse in New York or New Jersey back in 1989??

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
JeffMc said:
This was one of the DVD's that MGM "downgraded". It was originally a flipper with the movie on one side and most of the extras on the other. Later, they removed the extras side to cut costs and reissued it. So the disc out there now is basically bare-bones. I'm sure the movie is the same on both discs.
ah yes.
you know i never opened my copy just bought it to help a possible special ed
down the rd.
ijust watch the laser with many scenes edited back in.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
widescreenforever said:
Those B roll footage, was that the film stock they found in an old warehouse in New York or New Jersey back in 1989??
It's written on the Chapter sheet inside laserdisc box. Joshua Bermen located the extra footage on a pallet in a NJ warehouse marked to be destroyed. Also prior to film beginning on the Laserdisc there's a 30 sec. intro with a static artshot of the movie poster, a voiceover reiterates about the extra film footage discovered and now edited into the Laserdisc version you are about to view.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Regardless of what one thinks of the extra material, the LD far outshines the dvd in other ways - the dvd is misframed, and has a screwed up title sequence.

RSmith

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I'm so glad to find this discussion! no bigger fan of IAMMMMW than here.

I've seen the latest 70mm print a few times, at Cineramadome and I just travelled to San Francisco last Aug. to see the 70mm on a Flat screen. I must say I prefer it on a FLAT screen. I have noticed the print flaws.

I just sent MGM a letter requesting the restrtion, and possible Blu-ray release. I am disappointed in the current DVD.

The biggest problem to me is the aspect ratio. The current DVD is closer to 2.3 to 1, thus some heads are chopped off in that wonderful scene when they uncover the treasure. That really bugs me!

I want to see this restored, in glorious 2.76:1 and flat on a Blu-ray disc!!!

pleeaasse

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
RSmith said:
on a Blu-ray disc!!!
pleeaasse
When you say 'current DVD' , do you mean the no-frills October 2003 release? or the special edition with 61 min. featurette of the Sept 2001 release ??
I can't seem to nail this down thru the Internet and want to know more about this second re release ..
The aspect ratio should be and is 2:55.1 Ultra Panavision and not 2:35.1 Panavision .
(and I don't necessarily want a Blu-ray release as I feel the so so restoration at this point of the game would be magnified immensely thru Hi-Def rather than current DVD18 layer compression.)

RSmith

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
widescreenforever said:
When you say 'current DVD' , do you mean the no-frills October 2003 release? or the special edition with 61 min. featurette of the Sept 2001 release ??
I can't seem to nail this down thru the Internet and want to know more about this second re release ..
The aspect ratio should be and is 2:55.1 Ultra Panavision and not 2:35.1 Panavision
I have the no-frills Oct 2003 release and the long VHS versions.
None of these are like seeing the 70mm print in the theatre!
Ultra Panavision should be seen in full 2.76:1.!
and with high-def the image will fill a large HDtv with enough detail to enjoy it in 2.76:1

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Quote: Originally Posted by widescreenforever Those B roll footage said:
It's written on the Chapter sheet inside laserdisc box. Joshua Bermen located the extra footage on a pallet in a NJ warehouse marked to be destroyed. Also prior to film beginning on the Laserdisc there's a 30 sec. intro with a static artshot of the movie poster, a voiceover reiterates about the extra film footage discovered and now edited into the Laserdisc version you are about to view.
wow.

RSmith

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Mad World is a movie that takes full advantage of the 2.76:1 apect. Whatever the DVD is, it chops off some important information from the original, including actors faces.

I have an illustration I sent to MGM, I'll post later.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Sorry! I didn't have my Laserdisc boxset on me when I posted that earlier in the week. Let's all hope MGM will look into the full restoration one of these days. I will be second in line to pickup a hopeful Hi-Def edition of IAMMMMW!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yes hopefully soon we wont need to keep asking "any word yet?"

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
To be clear...

The laserdisc of MW is not representative of any real version of the film, and contains outtakes and trims never part of any completed product. The roadshow version of the film should not be considered / reviewed / discussed with this as a basis.

RAH

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I agree, RAH. Would you still like to see a "SmileBox" transfer of the film, or would you prefer the flat (meaning no rectification applied)?

moviefan

Agent
Real Name
justin
JeffMc said:
This was one of the DVD's that MGM "downgraded". It was originally a flipper with the movie on one side and most of the extras on the other. Later, they removed the extras side to cut costs and reissued it. So the disc out there now is basically bare-bones. I'm sure the movie is the same on both discs.
The Greatest Story Ever Told was another two disc dvd set that had the second disc eliminated. This set is also out of print. I found a month ago at Fry's Electronics and bought it to add to my collection.
Are there any others like It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World and The Greatest Story Ever Told that were downgraded?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
"Smilebox" is an interesting means of presentation for home video, and would make a pleasant addition as a second disc.
RAH

RSmith

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Then, would the movie be in 2.76:1 widescreen and the "Smilebox" would be in addition to that?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Robert Harris said:
"Smilebox" is an interesting means of presentation for home video, and would make a pleasant addition as a second disc.
RAH
Well, that would show you how it appeared in a Cinerama theatre. But, only the three-strip films are true Cinerama and should be shown in the Smilebox process on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks