What's new

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World now airing on TCM in its proper aspect ratio! (1 Viewer)

Jo_C

Second Unit
Just want you guys to know that right now TCM (Turner Classic Movies) is showing 'It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World' in its proper 2.55:1 aspect ratio.

All previous showings have been the modified 1.75:1 version as seen on earlier letterboxed VHS issues (although the most recent VHS letterboxed release has been the full 2.55:1 version). I don't know what version is now being shown (the "restored" version or the general release version now on DVD). Only time will tell.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well the dvd says it is 2:55.1 and the time of tcm version ran 3hrs and 1 min so it was longer then the dvd.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I only know of 4 different versions of the film on home video...

1. Pan & Scan general release version

2. 1.85:1 botched aspect ratio version (short version)

3. Reconstructed version letterboxed (2.55:1) (Current VHS)

4. 2.55:1 short version (DVD)

A very good thing indeed, you can see this film ONLY in widescreen on VHS, DVD, and TV (Since TCM has the rights to it now, apparently).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The TCM version was the long quasi-reconstructed version that was available on laserdisc. This was the first time I have seen this version, and I was expecting to be more impressed with the additions than I was. The general release "short" version actually does not lose very much of value, IMHO. The general reease version does introduce a few continuity hiccups, but just about everything that I liked in the long version is preserved in the general release version. Of course, I have never seen the "real" roadshow version which has yet to be reconstructed on home video and may be next to impossible to recover, IIRC. I have never been a huge fan of the film, so I may not be the barometer for what the hard-core IaMMMMW enthusiasts think.

It was nice to see the opening credits of the long version, though, since the people who put together the recent MGM DVD of the general release version botched the colors of the title cards.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks