What's new

It's a mad mad mad (mad?) world DVD problems (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ok folks don't yell at me...I did a search for over 10 minutes and couldn't dig up a single thread for it's a mad mad world! (I know there *were* some...even a review...how long do these thing live on the server? Is the search screwy?)

In any case...my disc pixilates and freezes in several scenes near the 2nd half of the movie (panny rp91). Just give me the quick answer...is this a known disc problem that was corrected in later copies? Can a replacement that fixes this be had?

Thanks and sorry if I missed the boat on this the first time 'round!

dave :)

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
is this a known disc problem that was corrected in later copies?
As far as I know there are no known problems with the IAMMMMW DVD. Actually re-watched it a couple of weeks ago and didn't have any problems then. Have you tried cleaning the disc or playing it on another player?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'll make this one comment and then shut up. The real problem with this disk is that it's a cut and misframed version of the film. :frowning: I even bought this dvd (in the vain hope that higher sales would motivate a proper restoration), but it sits unopened in a drawer somewhere so I couldn't tell you if it pixellates anywhere.

The only thing good about the dvd the extras I'm glad I still have the laser disc box set as it is a longer cut of the film still not the full film but almost.Why did they redo the title credits with all red background? It should be multi-colored. In short the dvd sucks.
Roger

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I got my disc a good 6 months after it was released and it plays fine.

However, I'm let down as well over the credits. Other than the color problems for them, the disc is great, visually speaking, for showcasing the general release cut. The 5.1 sound seems weak compared to the Dolby surround track on my VHS of the "cut and paste" video version.

The 2.55:1 ratio is totally correct for the 35mm edition. MGM states on the cover that it's the 35mm edition...so there is nothing really wrong with that. You're basically getting the general release print plus the MGM logo (which is totally wrong!) The 70mm roadshow cut needs to be restored to even be seen.

I'm hoping I have to buy the DVD again for a restored version.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
For a comparison of the DVD and the actual 70mm Ultra Panavision print, go to Link Removed .

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
This ranks as one I bought but will never watch, only because I wanted to help boost sales to justify a further restoration. If that never happens, then like "1776" the only way I'll ever watch this movie again is on LD.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Thr Laserdisc had "restored" sequences which were extensions of many scenes. They did nothing in my opinion to improve the film. As a matter of fact they tended to slow things down at times. They also were taken from rectifed "Cinerama" sources which had the sides of the image squeezed (not to mention color balance changes). I personally find the film hit and miss. I supose if one likes a comedy about greed; back stabbing; cheating and lying it is OK. Stanley Kramer was not a comedy director... the film is clunky at times. But seeing all the great comedians is worth a look.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The laser disc has the closest we are ever likely to get to the full road show film. Unfortunately, the money from the studio is not forthcoming to allow Robert Harris to save the rest of this film before it deteriorates. But the LD is much, much closer to the full film, and far, far better than the dvd cut. Yes, the LD is not perfect, and (unfortunately) it's clear which scenes are being restored, but the thought of seeing this without those scenes, or with the dvd framing just makes me cringe.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Actually, most of those scenes in the extended edition on VHS and LD are NOT part of the roadshow cut, but rather one of the preview prints.

One example is the scene with Winters talking about what he wants to do with the money. That wasn't supposed to be in the final cut.

However...if a restored version is greenlighted, an SE DVD would definately have a nice selection of deleted scenes.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Patrick. You're right, they were mostly not in the road show version I saw at the Warner Cinerama in NYC a week after it opened. I'm suprised nobody has mentioned the obivous stunt double for Jonathan Winters during his "wreck the gas station" sequence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks