What's new

Blu-ray Review It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
No! It's the whooooooooole 159 min film. Great deal! I'm saving it for when I go on vacation soon. I'll have work out of my head and just sit down and love all 159 of those minutes.

Mommaaaaaaaaaa....! Stay there, I'm coming to get you momma!

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Charles Smith said:
And finally, the New Year.

Three weeks, ladies.

Why, one can almost feel the presence of a Big W just around the next bend.....
Big_W.jpg

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Just so you know there's a massively better version coming out in about 3 weeks that's going to have an improved version of your 159 minute version plus the superior longer version ;)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I have to remember where I'm posting. :( My news just ain't exciting when there's 4K to be had.

It's kind of like 3D.. I don't have the equipment to appreciate it yet. Still, can't wait to hear how others are enjoying the newer stuff. Mad mad has some great wide shots that should be spectacular.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
It's not better because it's 4k - the version you have is scanned at 4k as well, but there are mistakes in how it was presented, some shots were graded incorrectly etc.The wonderful documentary on it is well worth the $5 and isn't being carried over to the Criterion so it's a good reason to keep it alongside the new release :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I knew that! :P Well, now I do. I just take longer.

I haven't seen the doc yet, but to be able to watch the movie soon for cheaper and the documentary are worth the $5. I'll upgrade later most likely. I'm also interested in seeing a comparison of what's wrong. Seeing it does it for me every time, like with Halloween and Fellowship of the Ring. I bought neither of those blus.

For the Madmadmadmad DVD, the back of the case doesn't mention anything as far as extras. I don't guess there's any reason to keep it... ? I'll give it to mom.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
There were 2 versions of the DVD, one was a flipper that has what your Blu has, and a single sided one which doesn't have extras. One of the big changes I believe is that the wrong version of the title sequence was used. If you like the film, you'll want to see RAH's new restoration of the longer version.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I have the one sided. No extras.

I was trying to figure out who all is still around from the film what with Jonathan Winters dying recently.

Mickey Rooney
Sid Caesar

Many have died within 5 or so years from now. :(

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Moe Dickstein said:
It's not better because it's 4k - the version you have is scanned at 4k as well, but there are mistakes in how it was presented, some shots were graded incorrectly etc.The wonderful documentary on it is well worth the $5 and isn't being carried over to the Criterion so it's a good reason to keep it alongside the new release :)
How can on get/see this documentary

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
It was time for the yearly showing the other night, and I decided to watch the Criterion "restored roadshow version". This film still cracks me up every time I see it. That's saying a lot for a comedy that I've seen so many times over the last 50+ years. This is a timeless film that will make you laugh out loud, even without an audience present. And watching it on my huge 2.76x1 screen tends to make it more of a special event anyway.

I actually enjoyed the roadshow version more this time than the first time I saw it about year ago, as I was now prepared for the somewhat reduced quality of certain segments. However, if I were showing IAMMMMW to someone who has never seen it, I'd show them the shorter version. That's the version I saw first, and the one that I fell in love with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks