What's new

It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World 40th Aniversary Event (1 Viewer)

Joe Road

Agent
I just got back from the 40th anniversary event for It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World at the Cinnerama Dome in Hollywood. One Word: WOW! IT was freakin awesome. THe tickets were $30 and they sold out within 24 hours of going on sale a month ago. It included a soda, popcorn and a gift bag. Many of the surviving stars showed up too. The new print was gorgeous and the screen was so wide and big.

WE got stuck in traffic and got there just in time and I saw a bunch of people taking pictures of me, and I look to my left and Billy Bob Thorton is standing right next to me. Then I look Right and there is Robert Downey Jr. I didn't get to see all the Mad Mad World stars arriving because we got there right when it started, but I did see Edie Adams and Stan Freeburg and one of the gas station attendats (Can't remember his name) after the movie was over.

Before the presentation Stanley Kramer's wife came up and said some things about the movie. She mentioned how the Police Calls were played durring intermission 40 years ago and some lady got freaked out and thought there was a man in the bathroom, so they took them out. Tonight was the first time they were put back in. Billy Bob Thornton also talked about how he was friends with Stanley Kramer before he died, and how much he liked the movie.

The audience was great too, their laughter made me laugh harder than I ever have. They also applauded when all the stars came on screen or had cameos. Great Atmosphere, something you can never get at home.

And the screen combined with the new print. Man, they don't make movies like this annymore. Absolutely amazing. The screen was so wide it enveloped my peripheral vision and I felt I was in the movie. During the freeway driving scenes I started getting motion sick it was so realistic and big. The print was so clear and bright and colorfull it puts my DVD and Laserdiscs to shame.

I think it was wider than my DVD, but I think the laserdisk was the OAR. Anybody know? I'll have to check this weekend. I saw things that I've never seen before.

In Summary this was the best moviegoing experince of my life and probably will be for years to come.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
For all you MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD fans out there in the L.A. area: you should check out the Hollywood History Museum on Highland Ave. near Hollywood Blvd. They're displaying the original model of the condemned building used at the end of the picture, with the fire escape filled with models of the characters as well as the fire engine ladder. It's on the top floor of the museum near the freight elevator with no identification on it, but fans of the movie won't need any. I couldn't believe I was looking at it having just seen the movie at the Cinerama Dome the night before.

I sure wish we had one of those Domes here in New York City!

--Bill

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

I saw the final showing (Sunday, 8pm). The laserdisk was OAR of the 35mm version(2.35). The Dome was showing a genuine Ultra Panavision 70 print (2.76), so yes, there was considerably more image being projected. THere's quite a discussion of this in the Home Theatre Software section.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
PLENTY of people care. Check out the thread in the SOFTWARE section that Paul mentioned for proof.;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's the big, blinking, HTF HOT TOPIC on the main page. You can't miss it...or apparently, you can.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks