What's new

It's a Living - Coming Soon (but not to DVD) (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
It's been bought by one of the cable networks, LOGO, I believe, and should be airing soon. Also going to be available on one of the streaming services as well. Expect major music cuts so if you're a fan of the show, you'll want to hang on to your VHS off air recordings. Clearance costs make a DVD release impossible.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I'm happy that something is being done with this show but very disappointed that a dvd is not going to be released. It's a shame. I'd even buy a dvd with music edits, if it's the only way we'll get one. I have wanted this series on dvd for years. I'm sure someone will make a set of the LOGO (or whatever cable network) airings of the show. That'll probably be the only way I'll ever see it again apart from the 10 episodes I have.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
The good thing is, this show is FINALLY getting national cable exposure. Aside from some brief airings on TV Land in 2000-01 it hasn't been in regular rerun rotation since WWOR and other superstations and some Fox affiliates ran it around 1993. If it's true that Logo's getting it, I hope Antenna will pick it up after, like they've done with Alice. Antenna's editing is nowhere near as brutal.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The syndicated years should be only 22 minutes long anyway. It's the ABC seasons that bear the brunt of cutting the hardest.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I vaguely remember watching this show back in the 1980s. However, after brushing up on the history of the show via wikipedia, I was surprised to learn that the show was cancelled after the second season, and brought back for a third season nearly 3 YEARS later! Very impressive!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_Living_(1980_TV_series)

They also changed the name of the show to "Making A Living," IIRC.

(EDIT: Just clicked on the link. Yep.)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
True, and too bad since those are the best years. The show did lose something when Ann Jillian left.
I recall that Ann Jillian was diagnosed with cancer during this show's original run, although I'm not sure whether that had any influence on IT'S A LIVING's initial cancellation.

CHEERS! :)

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Ann's cancer did not strike until 1985 so it didn't cause the ABC cancellation in '82. She only agreed to appear in one season of the syndicated revival, possibly to help get it "back on its' feet" so to speak, since hers was the breakout character and she had the name value at the time.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Ann's cancer did not strike until 1985 so it didn't cause the ABC cancellation in '82. She only agreed to appear in one season of the syndicated revival, possibly to help get it "back on its' feet" so to speak, since hers was the breakout character and she had the name value at the time.
So it was either during, or shortly before/after Ann Jillian's second stint on the show that her cancer struck, then?

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent
Logo is a horrible network because of the awful butchering for more commercials but anything is better than nothing.

I've never seen IAL so this is excellent news for me!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Between those, she also did Jennifer Slept Here for Columbia, which ran a year on NBC. After that, they seemed to lose their taste for fantasy shows that used to be their bread and butter in the Screen Gems days.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
And Jennifer was way below her talents and saddled her with a dull supporting cast. No wonder it tanked. The only interesting aspect about it was that Gail Edwards shows up in one episode as a rival ghost--looking flawless btw.

Attachments

• gail_cap4.jpg
    gail_cap4.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 189
  • gail_cap2.jpg
    gail_cap2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 172

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I've been wondering the same...except I am already cringing at the thought of how badly the episodes will be edited. This is one series I was hoping beyond hope would eventually come out on dvd.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
If it will be airing anywhere but Logo, the 1985-89 episodes should be fine. They're already short enough to not require further cuts. It's the (superior) ABC episodes that will suffer. Too bad--as I really want to upgrade a lot of my S2 episodes. The good thing is, the show is finally digitalized, which means another network could pick it up at a later date and not butcher it so badly. Question is...when?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HobbitGolf
Recent bookmarks