What's new

It's a (Cheap) DIY Christmas... (1 Viewer)

Arthur_King

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I like to think of myself as a decent enough guy when it comes to woodworking, and I'm currently saving my pennies to put together a nice 85L shiva. However, I have the opportunity to get some warmup while doing something nice for a friend (as a christmas present). I'm hoping you guys can help me out...

My friend has a Kicker Comp C15-8 8ohm single voice coil 15" subwoofer with the following specs. (the only ones ive managed to find anywhere, I dont know if there's some im missing)

QTS 0.446
QMS 12.745
QES 0.462
FS 19.30
VAS 301.3L
Xmax 13mm (I believe thats one way could be wrong)

He doesn't have too much WAF to contend with, though he does have his limits. I am contemplating the following (via WinISD Pro Alpha).

30"x30"x30" 3/4" MDF, with doubled MDF on the sub face, and bracing inside that gets me right around 13ft^3. 2 4" diam. ports at 13" length gets me tuned right about 18hz and pretty low airspeed in the port.

Anyone a) see anything wrong with this design. b) think of a better way to go? This is probably going to be used 90% HT. Since my friend already has this Sub (he actually had 2 in a Iso config in a car but one went bad). I figure I can get away with a couple sheets of MDF, glue, tools, sweat, tears, and have a fairly decent sub for under $50 or so?

Daffy Arthur King

P.S. I was surprised (could be an Xmax mistake) that this sub actually modeled fairly decently for a car sub.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I double checked some of your numbers and they seem to be fine. The models well with the QTS near .4 and low Fs which is rare for a car sub. An Xmax of 13mm one way is not unlikely. THis should be a great sub for 50 bucks but what is he going to use for power for an 8 ohm woofer?

Arthur_King

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, Kicker SUX for supplying information... Just getting that off my chest.

According to their website, they list Pmax as 250W. Now im not exactly sure what that rating is. Is that max power the coil can handle? is that RMS? not sure.

I would guess that a 250w Parts express Plateamp (which would get me about 180w into 8ohm), or maybe a 380 Rhythmic would do the trick no?

Daffy Arthur King

P.S. Thats the great thing about it. We already have the sub, so other than the amp (say ~$130) the rest of the build would be some MDF and some GLUE eh? so a pretty sweet sub for $175 out the door?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks