What's new

It's a Beautiful Day (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
How many of you remember or are aware of the San Francisco band It's a Beautiful Day? The group's self-titled debut album from 1969 contained a memorable lead song called "White Bird," which featured a technically interesting, violin-centered instrumental break. Worth checking out from a songwriting standpoint. (The cover featured a reprint of a painting centered around a summer dress-clad young woman standing atop a hill, holding on to her floppy hat, while situated in front of a deep, blue summer sky.)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jack, they had a live album that was better than that album, cut for cut. It had WHITE BIRD and BOMBAY CALLING which were their best songs. David Laflame was the violin picker that gave them their sound. He made solo albums that were all along the same lines in the 70's. I used to like all the groups with violins/fiddlers. Seatrain with Richard Greene was my fav. I like Jean Luc Ponty, Goose Creek Symphony, Area Code 615, Buddy Spicher, the Fabulous Poodles, the Flock... if it had intresting fiddling, I liked it. Laflame seemed to initiate some intresting ideas in rock fiddling, but his imitators outdid him. He only wrote a few other songs near as good as WHITE BIRDS. The Flock took his style to much higher heights. Yea, I remember! :)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I've heard exactly 1 of their songs: Wasted Union Blues (might not be an original, don't know.) It's on a compilation called San Franciscan Nights.
Jack, as a San Franciscan, you might be interested in some of these CD compilations. If you are, contact me via e-mail.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I, do indeed, recall this group. The album became very valuable in the late 70s and early 80s. I had a copy on cassette tape from a friend's album. Not sure what happened to it, though.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I heard White Bird on a radio station years ago and was mesmerized by it. When I finally found it on CD, it was $21.99! The rest of the album was mediocre, though.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Phil A,

Thanks for the link. I just found a CD version of one of my favorite albums by a great garage band from the 60s, The Shadows of Knight, Back Door Men. They do a great "psychodelic" version of Hey Joe.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Plus the harpsichord ditty "Girl With No Eyes". Feeling nostalgic are we, Jack?
Greg - WUB is about the LEAST typical IABD song you could have been exposed to.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Marty - no problem, when it comes to 'old' stuff I know where to direct those bifocals. CCMusic also many times offers exclusives where they will press the disc and you can't find the stuff elsewhere. I have gotten a couple of things that way that I was looking to locate for years.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I recently bought this CD at Tower Records, with the Identical cover. its on a label called San Francisco Records (?).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I bought the band's second album as well, in 1970. But I lost track of the group since then. I knew It's a Beautiful Day the album experienced a new lease on life, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks