What's new

Italian Job R2 on august 19 (1 Viewer)

MickB

Agent
Thanks for the link. It was always one of my favorite movies. I hope the region 1 release is comming soon.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news - I've had this title on advance order from Play.com for a couple of months now. Incidentally, Zulu (another Michael Caine film and one of my all-time favourites) is out the same day in R1 in a new digitally-restored print.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I wish they added Zulu Dawn as well - it's not as good, but it would be fine in my collection.

Cees

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Cees

Zulu Dawn has been released on DVD in the UK by Mosaic a few years ago but is now withdrawn (was only on sale a few months). I never bought it as all the reviews stated it was one of the worst pictures on any DVD. Was also cropped from 2.35 to 1.78 for everthing except the titles although it was anamorphic.

Have not heard if anyone has picked this up or if Mosaic still have rights.

Malcolm

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Thanks Malcolm,

Will have to stick to the VHS for a while then (well, frankly, I'm not watching that particular one too often...).

Cees

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Last night BBC 1 showed the movie again. I thoroughly enjoyed myself watching the carchase again. Very well done with the traffic jam and really enjoyed the performances of Micheal Caine, Benny Hill & Noel Coward

I will pick this one up when it is released

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
:emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks for the head's up. I hope it's good enough for me to finally be able to retire my LD version.
After watching the Bourne Identity, I had to come home and watch the Italian Job-love those Mini chases. :D

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've got the Italian Job on advanced order, and it has been pushed back to 26th August. However, Zulu remains at 5th August release date. Perhaps they're staggering the release to boost sales?

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=4386
Politically though this is definitely a movie of the 60's. Women are only used to decorate scenes and are of course 'Birds', coloured men are only good for driving busses (and even that they can't get right causing the last scene in the movie.) and computer geeks are middle aged men with strange sexual appetites . There's even a strong anti-European theme as well, British cars are far superior to their European counterparts (suggested by the symbolic destruction of a Lamborghini at the start of the picture), the British crooks outsmart both the mafia and the Italian police and then there is that almost insufferable nationalistic scene with Coward receiving the adulation of convicts and screws towards the end of the movie. Still the film has an infectious sense of fun and style and a theme tune at the end that you'll be whistling for weeks !
There is much more on the site
------------------------------------------------------------
I cannot wait for this movie to own !!
:D

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Oscar, I agree that the attitudes to women are postively Neanderthal in this film (even worse in Alfie, another Michael Caine movie being released on DVD at about hte same time as TIJ). However, I thought the bit with Noel Coward descending the stairs to all that pomp was intended to be ironic and if anything anti-nationalistic. However, on reflection, perhaps it was rather over-played.

For all its faults, still a great movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks