Italian Job canceled by Paramount !!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fawzi Alware, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Fawzi Alware

Fawzi Alware Auditioning

Bad Bad news [​IMG]
    today I got an e-mail from my e-tailor inform me that "Italian Job" was canceled from my order because Paramount will cancel the release of the title .
    here is content of the e-mail :
    "Dear Customer
    We were just informed by Paramount that they
    will be canceling the release of "the Italian Job"
    which was due to release on 11-5.
    The title will be on your order and you will
    recieve a seperate e-mail stating that it has been
    cancelled.
    Furthermore we will also advise you if in the
    future the title becomes available again
    We are sorry for the inconvenience"
    I was really looking foreword for this release [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

3. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I'd hope that's an error of some sort, or it's slipped in the release schedule for some reason. I shant be getting the R2 so I hope this isn't going to be a serious delay on the R1 release.

Dan

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

yeah get the R2 version since it will have the same features.
    [​IMG]

5. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

The Italian Job was originally supposed to be out in May of this year before the new November date was announced; perhaps it's just another delay?

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

7. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

8. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I know several people who work for Paramount in the UK, and I'm told that the US release has been postponed indefinitely.

I was also told that the UK division have had enormous problems convincing the US Head Office just how incredibly popular the film is over here - it's practically a national institution! It seems that the American branch "just don't get it", and nixed many potential extra features, because they saw it as an insignificant title.

I'd be surprised if the film doesn't get a US release eventually, especially if it sells as well here as Paramount UK hope it will.

9. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Thanks for that, Julian. I suggest those of us wanting the R1 have confidence and wait given that the R1 is probably going to need as many potential buyers as possible.

To cancel it the week after announcing the disc and its specs is a bit of a blow, but we'll see it eventually I am sure...

Dan

10. Paul-Gunther

Paul-Gunther Stunt Coordinator

Damn. I was looking forward to that one, too. Just so long as they don't cancel Roman Holiday or Sunset Blvd., I won't have to kill anybody.

11. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

12. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Back to the Future more times than I can count.

13. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

That is but one, & a "special case" title. Not essentially a catalog title like "Italian Job".

14. Jae E

Jae E Agent

Italian Snow Job! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

Ugh. I was really looking forward to this title. This film is a cult classic, it's already being released in R2, why in the world wouldn't Paramount release it over here? I'll never understand why some films are given the shaft and I see others sitting on the shelf that can't have sold more than a dozen copies total.

16. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Just thinking out loud but perhaps the DVD release of The Italian Job is being held back to coincide with the theatrical release of the new remake with Mark Wahlberg.
    If my memory serves, Warners pushed back the release of the Sinatra Oceans Eleven from its originally announced release date until after the debut of Soderbergh's Oceans Eleven.

17. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

You could be onto something there, Thomas. Seems the suits liked the original enough to re-make it... or wait, maybe they didn't like the original enough so are re-making it. [​IMG]
    Dan

18. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

That was my point as well, sinec they are re-imagining the Italian Job, they will probably wait for this and only then, release it. This is a shame really, and will be happy to get the R2 in my hands next week.

19. Sebastian_A

Sebastian_A Stunt Coordinator

What a bunch of NARROW MINDED J6Ps work at Paramount? First they cancel my "TENANT", now this!

I sure hope Ron puts them on a separate spot at his annual "best of dvd" list - as the crappiest company to ever hit DVD.

Oh well, I will just get the R2, but the people at Paramount should seriously check their heads... .

Seb

20. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Guys
    just realised something else about the delay of The Italian Job DVD. Paramount must know how many copies they will sell of this especially since Micheal Caine featured so prominently in Austin Powers Goldmember. They even used the Mini (sort of) that was used in The Italian Job for a chase in the movie. My bet is on the gact that New Line Cinema & Paramount made a deal, they even had a court case or something similar about the Bond name.
    just my 2 cents
    [​IMG]