What's new

Italian Job canceled by Paramount !!! (1 Viewer)

Fawzi Alware

Auditioning
Bad Bad news :angry:
today I got an e-mail from my e-tailor inform me that "Italian Job" was canceled from my order because Paramount will cancel the release of the title .
here is content of the e-mail :
"Dear Customer
We were just informed by Paramount that they
will be canceling the release of "the Italian Job"
which was due to release on 11-5.
The title will be on your order and you will
recieve a seperate e-mail stating that it has been
cancelled.
Furthermore we will also advise you if in the
future the title becomes available again
We are sorry for the inconvenience"
I was really looking foreword for this release :angry: :angry:

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I'd hope that's an error of some sort, or it's slipped in the release schedule for some reason. I shant be getting the R2 so I hope this isn't going to be a serious delay on the R1 release.

Dan

Jodee

Screenwriter
The Italian Job was originally supposed to be out in May of this year before the new November date was announced; perhaps it's just another delay?

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Guys...getting the R2 version in Region 1 only will lessen the sales of the Region 1 release.
By an insignificant amount, I'd say. So few people in the US are even aware of R2 DVDs (let alone able to play them, due to their being PAL), I don't think a few hundred people buying the DVD from the UK is going to impact on any decision to release the film in the US. If there is a delay, it's probably occassioned by a rights issue, or it was bumped due to lack of available facilities and it's not a priority title.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I know several people who work for Paramount in the UK, and I'm told that the US release has been postponed indefinitely.

I was also told that the UK division have had enormous problems convincing the US Head Office just how incredibly popular the film is over here - it's practically a national institution! It seems that the American branch "just don't get it", and nixed many potential extra features, because they saw it as an insignificant title.

I'd be surprised if the film doesn't get a US release eventually, especially if it sells as well here as Paramount UK hope it will.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Thanks for that, Julian. I suggest those of us wanting the R1 have confidence and wait given that the R1 is probably going to need as many potential buyers as possible.

To cancel it the week after announcing the disc and its specs is a bit of a blow, but we'll see it eventually I am sure...

Dan

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
Damn. I was looking forward to that one, too. Just so long as they don't cancel Roman Holiday or Sunset Blvd., I won't have to kill anybody.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
To cancel it the week after announcing the disc and its specs is a bit of a blow, but we'll see it eventually I am sure...
How many canceled DVDs have risen from the dead to be eventually released? I don't have any real numbers to quote, but I'll bet that there has been few if any instances of it occurring. That is why it is an advantage to have a multi-region player. You are not at the mercy of some executive who thinks that the film is not worthy of a R1 release.
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
That is but one, & a "special case" title. Not essentially a catalog title like "Italian Job".

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
Ugh. I was really looking forward to this title. This film is a cult classic, it's already being released in R2, why in the world wouldn't Paramount release it over here? I'll never understand why some films are given the shaft and I see others sitting on the shelf that can't have sold more than a dozen copies total.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Just thinking out loud but perhaps the DVD release of The Italian Job is being held back to coincide with the theatrical release of the new remake with Mark Wahlberg.
If my memory serves, Warners pushed back the release of the Sinatra Oceans Eleven from its originally announced release date until after the debut of Soderbergh's Oceans Eleven.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
You could be onto something there, Thomas. Seems the suits liked the original enough to re-make it... or wait, maybe they didn't like the original enough so are re-making it. :)
Dan

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
That was my point as well, sinec they are re-imagining the Italian Job, they will probably wait for this and only then, release it. This is a shame really, and will be happy to get the R2 in my hands next week.

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
What a bunch of NARROW MINDED J6Ps work at Paramount? First they cancel my "TENANT", now this!

I sure hope Ron puts them on a separate spot at his annual "best of dvd" list - as the crappiest company to ever hit DVD.

Oh well, I will just get the R2, but the people at Paramount should seriously check their heads... .

Seb

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Guys
just realised something else about the delay of The Italian Job DVD. Paramount must know how many copies they will sell of this especially since Micheal Caine featured so prominently in Austin Powers Goldmember. They even used the Mini (sort of) that was used in The Italian Job for a chase in the movie. My bet is on the gact that New Line Cinema & Paramount made a deal, they even had a court case or something similar about the Bond name.
just my 2 cents
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks