What's new

It took 32 years but someone finally got a good commercial ding on Apple (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
And it's .... Google. Brutal truth

Well executed, hits Apple hard where they really are weak. I seriously have to PLEAD with friends and family to not cheap out and buy the 16gb phones.

This might be Google's most memorable ad ever. And it's for a product that is an iPhone APP. Not for an Android release. /boggle

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I've never run out of memory on my iOS devices. I guess that's because I'm smart enough to copy images and videos off of the devices from time to time and then delete them from the device.

So, I guess Google Photos is targeted at neophytes. There are a lot of those, no doubt.

Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've never run out of memory on my iOS devices. I guess that's because I'm smart enough to copy images and videos off of the devices from time to time and then delete them from the device.

So, I guess Google Photos is targeted at neophytes. There are a lot of those, no doubt.

Mark
It's targeted at normal people, who don't care or have time to manually delete hundreds of photos. It's targeted at people, even savvy people, who gave up trying to comprehend Apple's incomprehensible rules for photo and video syncing / storing / deletion just two years ago. It's targeted at people who feel like they're being nickeled-and-dimed by Apple's obnoxious iCloud pricing.

I'm a pretty diehard Apple user, and have been intentionally de-Googling my life. But I see clearly in my own experience as a computer nerd, talking with coworkers and family, how that Google ad is brilliant and Apple should be ashamed that this is even a need to be solved, much less by Google.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just wish there was a way for me to backup my iphone onto an external hd.

I have a 128 iphone and it reminds me every ten minutes that I dont have enough
space to back it up and I need to buy more room on my cloud.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Can you imagine being on top of (I presume) Everest or some other similar peak and be out of memory. I might throw my phone off the mountain. lol

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Of course, with the Google plan, last year's climb of Everest gets deleted without your knowledge.

So which is worse, not capturing a memory, or losing a memory?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Of course, with the Google plan, last year's climb of Everest gets deleted without your knowledge.

So which is worse, not capturing a memory, or losing a memory?

Backup, backup, backup? :P

I generally get around to doing some pruning (and basic editing) of my iPhone photos w/in a week or two and then upload to Google Drive, keeping mostly just my favorites on my phone, which are also backed up to my iCloud's free 5GB storage. This was definitely necessary on a cheapy 16GB iPhone 5c, but even on my 64GB iPhone 6s now, I'm keeping up this habit/routine since I want to use the phone's space for 256-320Kbps music (and possibly moving back to Apple Lossless in some instances) and maybe an occasional TV show download or two. Plus it's always best to keep a consistent habit/routine of do the pruning (and basic editing) anyway...

FWIW, I'm just using a company paid phone, so can't get the most expensive one -- heck, that was the only reason I even had a 16GB iPhone 5c, LOL -- but even if it's a strictly personal phone, I'd much rather not spend the extra $100 if I don't have to... :P Besides, the larger storage might just end up tempting me to lose a good habit/routine, and then, I'll eventually have a mess on my hands that will cost more $$$ to maintain (eg. cloud backups), etc. :P

Still, Apple's approach, which apparently owes both its pros and cons to the (legacy) iTunes program (which I avoid using unless I need to synch some new music or the like), does make this aspect worse IMO. It works ok enough if you're not remotely close to running out of space, but gets progressively annoying once you're w/in say 1GB of running out of space on the phone or iPad (and I'm not sure about the iCloud side as I haven't actually hit the 5GB limit yet)...

_Man_

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks