1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

It this a good HT display Sony KP51 WS520

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DaveJJ, Jan 18, 2005.

1. DaveJJ

DaveJJ Stunt Coordinator

Any and all comment accepted. Good or bad. Thanks again.

DaveJJ

2. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

The Sony CRT based RPTVs are superb, especially if you plan on having it calibrated. I apologize if I speak too much from a calibrator's point of view... But even from the factory I think they look better than average after you take it off Vivid mode. They have so many nice bonuses in the service menu, for example: grayscale offsets for each scanrate, user control offsets for each scanrate so the user controls can be centered for each, adjustable color decoder, adjustable master gamma along with seperate red, green, and blue gamma fine tuning, and adjustable y/c delay correction. In Pro mode, the brightness holds very well from dark scenes to bright scenes. The convergence and geometry can be adjusted much better at the very edges (the last 1 1/2 inches) than with most others. They also have good deinterlacing circuitry, but more and more modern TVs have that also.
    Just in case you weren't sure, I'm a big fan.[​IMG]

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Got one, Hell yeah the picture is just superb. Upscaling player with it and man I want to watch everything on this t.v. from cartoons to American Idol. [​IMG]

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I just had my Sony KP-57WS520 ISF'd and out of the box, my temperatures were 6400 to 7100! (great numbers for a new set). Needless to say, my ISF tech got the numbers, overall, even closer to 6500 and picture looks even better. Highly recommended set.

Chad,

Is there a way to reduce overscan without altering convergence on this set?

I had my overscan reduced to just above 3%, however, I had this done for 480p only. But, a re-convergence was needed.

I want to do it for 1080i, as well.

5. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

Dave,

Yes, unfortunately it will. I always do the convergence after any focusing, overscan, or geometry work for that reason. It will also probably throw your geometry off a little, though that might not be as bad as the convergence.
    On the other hand, if you just want to center the image, it shouldn't throw anything off.
    By the way, there's an overscan test pattern that some HD channel sends out (can't remember which channel or if it was satellite), but don't trust it. It is very inaccurate. Only trust a pattern from an HDTV pattern generator (1st choice) or, as a last resort, an upscaling DVD player with DVE or Avia. The DVD player could add inaccuracies of it's own.

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Chad,

Definitely. My Sony 975 player has an off-centered picture.

Regarding focusing, my ISF tech said it was very good and said it didn't require any adjustments -- as this is also typical of Sonys I hear.

Would reducing overscan ever require focusing adjustment?

7. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

I'm looking at this set along with the Sony KDP-51WS655 myself.

8. Andre D

Andre D Stunt Coordinator

Can any suggest if it is worth paying the extra money for the built-in high-def decoder? I was also wondering.

9. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

That, and the CableCARD will allow you to watch all of your digital cable channels plus HD without an STB(cable box). Even without the card, you should be able to pick up some of the HD channels and any unscrambled digitals with the ATSC tuner. Also, if you've got an antenna, you can get local HD channels with the built-in tuner and those typically look better than the HD channels that the cable and satellite companies provide. Some say that the picture quality is better with the CableCARD versus an STB too.

The downside to the card is that they're currently one-way, which means you won't get the on-screen guide or program information on the bottom of the screen. Also, On Demand and PPV will have to be ordered by phone. With the STB, you'll still have these features. You have to decide if they're important to you.

They're working on two-way cards which will allow all of the above features but I have no idea if those cards will work in sets with current slots. I can't seem to find that answer and I've looked.

If you've got satellite and no antenna and have no plans to switch to cable and/or buy an antenna, then the built-in tuner and CableCARD are unnecessary, in my opinion.

10. Dave H

Dave H Producer

That might not be a bad thing if you watch a lot of cable TV and flip channels quite often -- less chance of burn-in.

11. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

Dave, yes, Sonys typically have good focus from the factory. It depends on the individual set whether it can be improved significantly, so I'd trust your calibrator. Reducing overscan will not mess up the focus.

12. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Chad,

Looking to buy CRT based RPTV around Christmas and have been leaning towards Mitsubishi (think its WS513). Any experience with them? Was wondering how they compare.

13. ShelbyB

ShelbyB Stunt Coordinator

I was about to purchase a Sony KDP-51WS655 tonight. Then I noticed that static images (logos), especially near the top, tended to vibrate/jiggle/bounce rapidly. Is this a common problem with the unit? I didn't notice this from the same signal on other units. Is it something that can be fixed with proper calibration. Besides that the price and picture looked fabulous.

14. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

I looked at one at Circuit City recently and it didn't have this problem. Maybe the set you looked at had a problem or a bad cable/connection.