What's new

It Takes A Thief (1 Viewer)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I know I'm a few years late to the party here but I have a question and some comments about It Takes A Thief.

Does anyone know when the complete series DVD went out of print? It was issued in 2011, so I figure that maybe it went out of print in 2013 or 14, just a guess though.

I recently ordered a used set of the complete series DVD on ebay, it looks to be in very good condition, paid more than I wanted to for it but it is what it is. Too bad I wasn't shopping for this over a month ago in early November, because I noticed someone had listed a used set of the complete series DVD for a price of only $19.99, whoever the lucky buyer was sure got a great deal.

While I'm waiting for the DVD's to arrive, I looked on You Tube and currently the entire series is on there, every episode. I watched a few and I assume the You Tube episodes are the same ones that are on the DVD's. The video quality of It Takes A Thief looks similar to Cannon, uncut episodes but not restored, which is fine with me, I don't mind watching unrestored stuff as long as there aren't any edits and the audio quality is good. And the unrestored quality of the episodes gives them a nostalgic/retro look and in my opinion it enhances the viewing experience.

It Takes A Thief is a cool show from the late 1960's, the tail end of the spy/espionage genre before more traditional police/detective shows started taking over in the 1970's.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
According to camelcamelcamel the last time Amazon had stock was around August/September, 2016. I purchased my copy as a Black Friday Lightning Deal in 2012 for $29.50. I *still* haven't opened it... I think I'll correct that in January, or right after I finish watching S1 of Mannix, whichever comes first.

I watched it during the original airings and recall liking it but couldn't tell you anything about it as I've not seen it since those airings. It was a mid-season replacement in the 67/68 season on ABC after they cancelled The Invaders.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I know that It Takes A Thief premiered mid season in January 1968, but didn't know it was replacement for The Invaders. Interesting info, thanks for sharing.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
It Takes a Thief is one of those shows I pop in every once in a while when I'm in the mood for 60's cool. It never went over the top like Man from U.N.C.L.E., so it is always fun. Robert Wagner plays it fairly straight and is enjoyable to watch, and there are always great guest stars.

I think the picture quality is a notch above Cannon, but I agree with Lee that the nostalgic feel it evokes is half the fun.

I got my set a few years ago before it went out of print. I hated the cases that E-One used, but really like the show. I think I just talked myself into watching an episode tonight....

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
200 dollars for 3 seasons! That is an outrageous price. It Takes A Thief has been one of those 60's series I really wanted but $200. ????? I think I will wait for a sale or the price to drop.

I can see that figure for an 8-9 season show, but not a series as brief as Thief was!

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I received my set of the DVD's today, had great service from the seller, package was sent priority mail so I got it in two days. Everything is in very good shape, I checked the DVD's and they also look very good, a few have small spots/smudges but I don't think it will affect playback. The four coasters included with the set look to be unused. Now to start watching some episodes. I'm glad to add this series to my DVD collection of classic TV shows, especially since it's now out of print.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I received my set of the DVD's today, had great service from the seller, package was sent priority mail so I got it in two days. Everything is in very good shape, I checked the DVD's and they also look very good, a few have small spots/smudges but I don't think it will affect playback. The four coasters included with the set look to be unused. Now to start watching some episodes. I'm glad to add this series to my DVD collection of classic TV shows, especially since it's now out of print.

Wish I could do the same with Hunter (given how Mill Creek's all-in-one of that 1984-91 hard-hitting NBC police series is long out of print, and commands astronomical prices on Amazon)!

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Wish I could do the same with Hunter (given how Mill Creek's all-in-one of that 1984-91 hard-hitting NBC police series is long out of print, and commands astronomical prices on Amazon)!

Currently on ebay, a seller has listed Hunter complete series in acceptable condition for a price of $95.62. You might want to check it out.

I paid more than I wanted to for It Takes A Thief, but the set is in very good condition so I'm happy with the purchase.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Currently on ebay, a seller has listed Hunter complete series in acceptable condition for a price of $95.62. You might want to check it out.

I paid more than I wanted to for It Takes A Thief, but the set is in very good condition so I'm happy with the purchase.

Thanks for the tip on Hunter! I think, however, that I might have found another way of seeing it-- this on YouTube; there are playlists of each of the seven seasons' worth, seemingly as complete as they are in that Mill Creek all-in-one (not all episodes are included, though).

Nonetheless, I do appreciate the tip!

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Thanks for the tip on Hunter! I think, however, that I might have found another way of seeing it-- this on YouTube; there are playlists of each of the seven seasons' worth, seemingly as complete as they are in that Mill Creek all-in-one.

Nonetheless, I do appreciate the tip!

That's OK, you're welcome.

I've been watching some It Takes A Thief episodes on the DVD's and like what I see so far, as I said previously I'm a few years late to the party but glad I finally got around to buying the DVD's, this is a good series.

I agree with poster Glenn that the video quality is a notch better than Cannon, although the color in some episodes looks washed out and faded. Season 3 seems roughest in terms of video quality, but I noticed that some episodes have the "It Takes A Thief: In Color" bumpers at the start of the episodes, those are cool to see. The episodes are presented uncut and include the "Universal City" bumpers after the closing titles, those are also cool to see. Nice DVD set, I like it. :)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The episodes are presented uncut and include the "Universal City" bumpers after the closing titles, those are also cool to see. Nice DVD set, I like it. :)

Same as it was on Petrocelli, for one (Paramount's 1974 Split Box on the first-season closing credits, and 1975 Blue Mtn. on the second-season ones).

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Same as it was on Petrocelli, for one (Paramount's 1974 Split Box on the first-season closing credits, and 1975 Blue Mtn. on the second-season ones).

Yes I purchased the Petrocelli set not too long ago. That's a good set too, episodes presented uncut, bumpers included after the closing titles, nicely done by VEI.

Another good thing about the It Takes A Thief set is that it includes the feature length version of the pilot, the set would be incomplete without it.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
This is an excellent series, I'm glad I finally got around to buying the DVD's. I've watched several episodes and one of my favorites is "A Very Warm Reception" from season 1.

Season 3 is a little different without Malachi Throne, it's unfortunate he didn't stay on with the show. Different actors were hired to fill his role and they also tried the gimmick with Fred Astaire which I'm not too fond of. It's still a good series in season 3 but not the same without Malachi.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott

Hunter was on the shelf at our local Menards for about 2 years at $24.95. I bought my copy right after it was released, but I should have bought a couple of others in case I actually could have sold them for such insane prices.

The German set is much better, it's uncut and has better picture quality.

I've been meaning to pick up the German set of It Takes A Thief. It's my understanding that the quality of the 3rd season of the overseas set, blows away the US version.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I've been meaning to pick up the German set of It Takes A Thief. It's my understanding that the quality of the 3rd season of the overseas set, blows away the US version.

In the US DVD set, 3rd season episodes tend to have a rougher video quality compared to seasons 1-2, but it doesn't really bother me, the unrestored look gives the episodes a retro/nostalgic appearance which in my opinion enhances the viewing experience. The episodes are uncut and have the "Universal City" bumpers after the closing titles, I like it.

The only issue I have, and it's a minor one, is that in some episodes, all 3 seasons not just season 3, the color looks a little faded and washed out. Aside from that, the US DVD set is awesome.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
LOL, poor Alexander Mundy, I just watched the first two episodes of season 3, and in both episodes he takes a drink that is either poisoned or drugged. In the first episode, the drink is laced with a lethal poison that will kill him within 40 hours unless he can obtain the antidote. In the next episode, the drink is not lethal but is drugged which knocks him loopy for awhile. He should have learned from the first episode to not accept drinks from strangers. :laugh:

I'm not really fond of foreign locales but it seems that several 3rd season episodes were filmed in Italy.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
S3 is the weakest because the departure of Malachi Throne really hurt the show IMO. At the same time, I have to admit that even in the better S1-2 episodes, I have a harder time connecting with the show than I do with Wagner's later shows like "Switch" and "Hart To Hart" and the reason is because in this show he's totally front and center and carrying the load and as a result he wears thin more, whereas on "Switch" and "Hart To Hart" being paired with Eddie Albert and then later Stefanie Powers, made him more likable overall.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I agree that the series wasn't the same anymore without Malachi Throne, but in the 3rd season the stories are still good for the most part.

My favorite decade for TV shows is the 1960's, although I wouldn't mind seeing the "Switch" series, "Hart To Hart" not so much.

I have the DVD's now but the last time I saw episodes of "It Takes A Thief" on TV was in the early and mid 1970's. I lived in Chicago at the time and TV station WSNS channel 44 aired the episodes during that time.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
LOL, poor Alexander Mundy, I just watched the first two episodes of season 3, and in both episodes he takes a drink that is either poisoned or drugged. In the first episode, the drink is laced with a lethal poison that will kill him within 40 hours unless he can obtain the antidote. In the next episode, the drink is not lethal but is drugged which knocks him loopy for awhile. He should have learned from the first episode to not accept drinks from strangers. :laugh:

Ever watched Mannix? One of my all-time favorites. I never counted, but in just about every episode poor Joe gets whacked on the back of the head with the butt of a .38. After 8 seasons, 194 episodes, Joe never learned: don't walk into a dark abandoned warehouse. He would never have passed the NFL's concussion protocol....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks