What's new

It Takes A Thief (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Steve...O said:
It is mind boggling to me that Universal can "lose" the pilot film to Switch. Is this a case where they know where the original 35mm elements are but they're too cheap to spring for new transfers and now they're trying to find replacements for whatever was lost in the fire?
Highly likely.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
This made my year when I saw the TVShowsonDVD item pop up in my FB feed yesterday. WOW so glad that we're getting a complete set rather than wait til who knows when for the 2nd and 3rd seasons. As for people complaining about the price, have you noticed what the actual retail price is for tv sets (and on tv) - much higher than you likely would have paid. That said, the official price is on the higher side - my guess is because it's a specialty retailer of sorts and this would have a narrow spectrum of buyers so even discounted, it won't be bargain pricing compared to some other shows, but you know what ultimately we can all get it for normal-ish pricing so why complain? We complain that some old shows never make it to DVD and here one appears and boom more complaints. I bet it'll be available for $90-120 dollars which will be $30-40 a season. It's worth it to me to pay that.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

Highly likely.

Thanks, Danny, for the confirmation.

I forgot about the A&C set being released by E1. I have that also and paid nowhere near the MSRP on that as well. The "Thief" set should be available at much more reasonable prices upon actual release.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Albert_M said:
This made my year when I saw the TVShowsonDVD item pop up in my FB feed yesterday. WOW so glad that we're getting a complete set rather than wait til who knows when for the 2nd and 3rd seasons. As for people complaining about the price, have you noticed what the actual retail price is for tv sets (and on tv) - much higher than you likely would have paid. That said, the official price is on the higher side - my guess is because it's a specialty retailer of sorts and this would have a narrow spectrum of buyers so even discounted, it won't be bargain pricing compared to some other shows, but you know what ultimately we can all get it for normal-ish pricing so why complain? We complain that some old shows never make it to DVD and here one appears and boom more complaints. I bet it'll be available for $90-120 dollars which will be $30-40 a season. It's worth it to me to pay that.
That's the catch sometimes, it's nice to see that the whole series will be put out, but some would rather buy it season by season for various reasons: - to spread out the cost over time. - to make sure it is still as enjoyable now as it was then - to test drive a season as a blind buy before committing the additional funds. - or that they are just only interested in a season or two but not the complete set Just like with the new Barney Miller set being released, It would be a day 1 purchase for a season, but for the entire series I may have to wait for the right sale. This is when those BN 50% off one item sales come in handy (that's how I usually get the full series sets). I agree though $40 a season isn't too bad if it is a show you have been waiting for.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
- to test drive a season as a blind buy before committing the additional funds
I can't see the logic in "test" driving a season with a blind buy. Not in the age of streaming and Netflix disc rentals. I can see maybe, just maybe with a bargain basement price, but it doesn't make sense to blind buy dvds most of the time.
Just like with the new Barney Miller set being released, It would be a day 1 purchase for a season, but for the entire series I may have to wait for the right sale. This is when those BN 50% off one item sales come in handy (that's how I usually get the full series sets).
For higher ticket items like this I agree. This though, will be the first "real" complete series for me since other shows which were newer I got along the way (West Wing, Lost) and did not feel necessary to rebuy for the complete set.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Albert_M said:
- to test drive a season as a blind buy before committing the additional funds
I can't see the logic in "test" driving a season with a blind buy. Not in the age of streaming and Netflix disc rentals. I can see maybe, just maybe with a bargain basement price, but it doesn't make sense to blind buy dvds most of the time.
Just like with the new Barney Miller set being released, It would be a day 1 purchase for a season, but for the entire series I may have to wait for the right sale. This is when those BN 50% off one item sales come in handy (that's how I usually get the full series sets).
For higher ticket items like this I agree. This though, will be the first "real" complete series for me since other shows which were newer I got along the way (West Wing, Lost) and did not feel necessary to rebuy for the complete set.
We all have different approaches. I cancelled my Netflix a few years ago and I don't stream content. For the money I saved monthly on cancelling my Netflix I can afford a blind buy here and there. And if it turns out later to not be worth keeping I can generally get part of my investment back on the used market. Also, there is lots of older TV content not available that way. So taking chances with blind buys on occassion may be the only way for some people to get certain titles. In fact, many of my now favorites were discovered with blind buys based on recommendations. As for big ticked items, you also have to remember that some content only comes as a set. For example, Man From U.N.C.L.E., which I finally purchased this past year. And now the Barney Miller set.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
"The Big River" (Amazon.com) has this set priced at $104.41! :D

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Regulus said:
"The Big River" (Amazon.com) has this set priced at $104.41! :D
I was hoping for something like this. Looking forward to seeing my $140 Preorder go down to $104. Great news.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm really ticked because a couple weeks ago I decided to order from Deep Discount since they had the lowest price at $112. Today, I tried to cancel it and they say it can not be because it is 'processing' three weeks before the release date. I will never order from them again.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Jack P said:
I'm really ticked because a couple weeks ago I decided to order from Deep Discount since they had the lowest price at $112. Today, I tried to cancel it and they say it can not be because it is 'processing' three weeks before the release date. I will never order from them again.
That is one of the main issues with DD is the lack of being able to easily cancel an order. I had an item (not a preorder) still in processing for 4 months. I finally got them to cancel it so i could feel confident they wouldn't send it at some point down trhe road after i picked it up from somewhere else. When they have something in stock they can be alright but when any kind of issues results in needing customer service, then things can be difficult. I'm going to stick with Amazon at this point even if it can be picked up a little cheaper somewhere else. Multi-disk sets can be a bit more problematic and Amazon has the best service to rectify and probelms.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well my irate second e-mail telling them I'd never buy from them again got them off their rear ends and now they did cancel it. I guess it just goes to show that you need to play hardball to get some results done!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by smithb

I'm going to stick with Amazon at this point even if it can be picked up a little cheaper somewhere else. Multi-disk sets can be a bit more problematic and Amazon has the best service to rectify and probelms.

I couldn't agree more, Brad. Amazon pretty much gets every bit of my business at this point, for the reasons you mentioned.

Gary "take care, friend" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I switched to Amazon too since my Prime membership also lets me rack up bonus points that at some point I'll cash in to get a lesser DVD title for free.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I've never actually pre ordered from Amazon (always have bought items that are available). Does pre ordering from them lock in that prie (or lower)? Of if the price goes up to $140 etc, you pay the higher price too? If it's the first, I may go ahead and pre order, otherwise no point in doing so right now for me.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Albert_M said:
I've never actually pre ordered from Amazon (always have bought items that are available). Does pre ordering from them lock in that prie (or lower)? Of if the price goes up to $140 etc, you pay the higher price too? If it's the first, I may go ahead and pre order, otherwise no point in doing so right now for me.
My understanding is that it is the first. You get the lowest price ever offered during the time you order and the final price at release. Otherwise, people would be continuously cancelling and reordering each time the price went down.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I submitted the Import Cd link to Amazon under Tell Us About a Lower price. Would be nice to get the box set for their price. as for the person who ordered from Deep Discount and they won't let they order be canceled is really crazy! This doesn't come out for nearly a month, I would contact someone there and the order would be deleted. I would Never do business with them again. I learned my lesson a couple years ago with them and no price is ever worth the trouble put your money into an amazon prime account.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks